Adding GPS coordinates tot pictures

Good point… but if they were off, you can add the geosync tag to specify an offset to use:

exiftool -geosync=+1:20 -geotag logPath fileOrDirPath

The above would compensate for image times which are 1 minute and 20 seconds behind the GPS times. You can specify anything from seconds to days with “DD HH:MM:SS” (where SS=seconds, MM=minutes, HH=hours and DD=days).

Also good to note that ExifTool does not overwrite the raw files, but updates the Exif in a copy and appends names of the originals with “_original”.

3 Likes

Writing GPS data directly into RAW files and risking making them incompatible or corrupting seems like a significant support load for PhotoLab to take on for very little gain. I’d hate to see DxO lose hundreds of man hours on a feature which does nothing to advance its USP (superior RAW development within an attractive, efficient and uncomplicated dqfanfeedback interface).

3 Likes

That’s a lot of extra storage to get GPS. It would be much better to embed this information in a sidecar where it can’t corrupt the original files and doesn’t require doubling one’s storage space. Does XMP not handle GPS information?

Yup. I deleted the originals as part of the culling process. And while I rarely use ExifTool for this nowadays, when I did use it I never saw a corrupted file.

Yes, it does… but I have never seen that entry in an xmp list, so I imagine the question is more about which apps look for it there. Reasonably certain Adobe does (because xmp is their baby)… but geotagging manually in NeoFinder updates the exif. Dunno if DxO does as I simply have no xmp list with a gps entry to test.

Turns out you can instruct ExifTool to use xmp lists instead of embedding in exif:

exiftool -geotag log.gpx '-xmp:geotime<createdate' dir

2 Likes

FWIW PhotoSupreme also handles geotagging (including importing GPX) and comes in a Mac version.

3 Likes

Good tip. I thought PhotoSupreme only comes in a Windows edition like iMatch. I should take it for a trial at some point. It’s fairly pricey (even the single user edition weighs in at $129 while the five user edition is $869), not a casual purchase like FastRawViewer at $15… Do you know if and when PhotoSupreme usually runs promotions?

I’ve not seen any promotions (other than discounts for version upgrades) , so I guess they probably don’t run them - but there is a free 30 day trial…

I just moved over from Media Pro to Photo Supreme. Geotagging works very well there.

Geo Tagging the cheap way:
just use mobilephone to take a picture of no significance only purpose the GPS info when on location, start using your camera and use again your phone for end GPS location.
Use thoser exif data to enclose in the XMP. :slightly_smiling_face:
One big problem: remembering to do so…:thinking::roll_eyes::pensive:

I tried one’s the smartphone panasonic GEO Tagging app and besides a drained battery from BT usage no luck of auto adding GEO tagging.

Another alternative (also with an extra workflow step) is to use a separate GPS-enabled device (in my case a Garmin sports watch or alternatively a dedicated GPS device) to generate a GPX track. Advantage: no drain on smartphone battery, possibly better accuracy; disadvantage: another processing step.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on why you labeled HoudahGeo as less promising than the other options listed?

I’d like to believe that with HoudahGeo we were able to create a complete, reliable, and easy-to-use geocoding and geotagging solution.

I just noticed that this topic is 11 months old. Since then we have released a major upgrade. Do check it out. HoudahGeo 6.0 has brought many enhancements. The most significant of which is support for JPEG+RAW pairs.