- 2022 Processing High Dynamic Range Photos in PhotoLab 5 - Part One, Fireworks

High dynamic range and excitement – simply get it all in,
only limited by sRGB colour space.

Flavia Cohelo, Brasil

Rosario Smoving, Argentina

1 Like

Both are wonderful photos, for different reasons. The “excitement” is overwhelming, perfectly timed, too, especially the B&W photo. Perfection!!! As High Energy photos both excel, the first photo because the background just amplifies the power of the singer, and the second because the background is totally overwhelmed by the singer.

If both of these are yours, that is very awesome! I’m curious - how much “time” did you have to capture the second photo? Did that expression and excitement last for a bit, or was it just the single instant of perfection that you captured? The extreme sharpness of the second photo just amplifies the expression!

Just for the heck of it… Where’s the backing group? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They are “just” great portraits of a lead artist, just like mine, except they music must have been louder :hear_no_evil: :joy:

I was wrong about one thing - I thought that new responses and new information here were being posted every day, that it was difficult sometimes to keep up. Then Leica came along with a new Leica M11 camera about to be released, and it seems that every time I get up to date, by the time I finish reading there is a lot more information to read. By comparison, these PL discussions are almost “stagnant”. :slight_smile:
New Leica M11 about to be released

I suppose I ought to add that I didn’t think I had any interest in buying one, only reading about it. Turns out there are so many improvements that if I had the $$, I would be seriously tempted. They’ve added an electronic shutter, huge file sizes, a real (non-reflective) light meter, larger high-res review screen, no bottom plate, and kept the size no larger than my M10. Most of the specs were secret until last night, when a “spy” website posted most of them.

Taken with a 35mm, the B&W version with 170mm.

I was stuck in the crowd and the interpreter on the ‘wrong’ side, but got him without mic stand or trombone in front of a black curtain.

1 Like

Chose those pics for their contrast and the singers’s energy (emotion) put into in a square (static) format.

• With Flavia Cohelo – I remember trying to get the mic stands and ever changing beams in the pic, ‘concentrating’ on her. Then, later in post I just balanced out some bright spots.

• When capturing Rosario Smoving’s leadsinger, I was stuck on the ‘wrong’ side of the stage, but could get him all across. Watched him closely and took some selective shots or bursts, when it looked good. Later in post, I decided for B&W, suiting the harsh downlight illumination, etc.

just to add something different

Albert Lee at the keyboard

Just wondering - is there any way to output an image from PL5 in a circular format, the way you did so nicely with square?

Lovely photo!

to crop in circular – never heard of

for square …
grafik

During my visit to my brother’s property in December, I took one day to try out my old 16mm Voigtlander lens on my M10. I originally bought the lens so I could capture wider “street scenes” on my M8, but never got to try it.

I went for a walk around his property, but looking through the viewfinder (Visoflex) I never got to see “wide angle” scenes - instead, I just saw a lot more of his property than I usually could see at once. I could never get everything you see in here into one photo before, and walking further back didn’t help. Walking forwards this time was better, until the tripod was almost over the edge of the pond. I wondered about the dynamic range - from bright sunlight to dark shadows. The exposure was set according to my M10’s meter.

It was such a peaceful day - no breeze, no birds, no nothing. I took almost a dozen photos, but this is the only one I liked, for many reasons - the reflections in the water being near the top of the list. There are two trees in the photo that are an orange color - the leaves were just starting to fall off, (and four days later those trees were naked). To me, this photo is almost “eye candy”, as I think of the different parts of his land as I scroll my eye over and through the image.

I didn’t spend a lot of time editing, or at least that’s what I thought. I just made some basic adjustments like what I’m now used to doing in PL5. However, when I click on “Compare”, I’m shocked at the difference! My new hero “Moose” may not like to do edits beyond what he captured in his camera, but all the things I now see were hiding in plain sight - until PL5 unlocked them. Moose says to get it right in the camera, but I wouldn’t know where to even start!

If a photo is supposed to “tell a story”, this one doesn’t. It’s just… there! It would probably make a great desktop photo, but I like to zoom in more to see detail. I don’t think it is as sharp at 100% as my Voigtlander 50mm lens, but maybe that’s not a fair comparison as this lens is 16mm, meaning extreme wide angle.

I can’t achieve this much quality with my M8.2 Leica, but the old sensor in the M8 achieves a different kind of color. For me, no comparison - I prefer the M10 in so many ways…

Anyway, you’re all welcome to have at it, and then tell me all the things I could have done better.

(As always, it was fun and enjoyable to edit. DarkTable feels more “mechanical”, while PL5 is almost done “by feel”. For @Joanna - no, I don’t think I could have gotten a similar result in DarkTable - I don’t know it nearly as well as I know PL.)

L1003823 | 2021-12-09.dng (29.8 MB)
L1003823 | 2021-12-09.dng.dop (14.4 KB)

well, there is not much you can do

VC2 new → L1003823 2021-12-09.dng.dop (212,3 KB) // M=master file, VC1= Mike

EDIT
Revisiting the pic I realized, I had not taken special care for chromatic abberations
and the lack of sharpness you have been talking about.

• changed the CA’s intensity
  • reduced the edges’ standard sharpening
  • carefully added some local sharpening at the background
  • minor adjustments

Tried to figure out about that old lens but couldn’t find.
Unfortunaltely, your copy is not good enough for serious pics.

Curious, why would you remove the blue sky, and why would you crop it like this?

I do like it more the way the right part of the image has been cropped, but I’m not so happy with the other changes. I guess they do take away “useless” part of the image, making the rest of the image stand out more. I’ll have to think about that for a while. But I think I prefer blue skies to gray…

Do you remember to check with
grafik
activated ?

No, I’ve never touched that, and my setting apparently was “off”.

I was just reading this:
https://forum.dxo.com/t/active-corrections-comment/16634/2

Why would I want to use this? I assume it’s to find a “list” of the corrections currently active in an image I’m editing? I guess it would be good to know what things I am using in a specific image, but how would this help me?

Yes, you see all corrections without going through each menu.

• Only don’t use this “list”, when you are going to toggle (deactivate / activate) some edits (menus) to see how it looks with or without them.

I guess it would be good to know what things I am using in a specific image, but how would this help me?

Well, you have been asking “… tell me all the things I could have done better.”
→ So, make those proposals visible and get an overlook.

• otherwise, why to show you something ?

When you are comparing two versions and the pics are ‘jumping around’ from different aspect ratios,
just activate → Local Adjustments.

Small time out - I viewed the image at 100%, and wanted to slide it around to examine things, but the image didn’t move. Instead, my “hand” icon closed up, like this, until I removed my finger from the mouse:

I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything useful. I’m well known for “breaking things”; wondering what I screwed up this time. My gut feeling is to close PL5 and restart, then restart computer if it’s still not working. I figured I’d ask here before I did either.

Easy to answer, quite often one of you suggests doing something with a tool I hadn’t thought to use. It wouldn’t show up on this list, since I hadn’t used it. It does show me all the things that I DID select and use - and I often re-think what I’ve done, and modify those settings.

Or, if you mean, of the tools I DID use, which ones I might have been able to use better, then what you suggest makes perfect sense, and it would save me time compared to what I do now - as in go through all the menus, making sure I didn’t forget something, and re-evaluating if I used the best “amount” of each tool. Everything is up for grabs - I’m wide open for things I might have done better, cropping, making the horizon level, looking at the histogram and re-considering, closing the window and returning to it after some amount of time for a fresh take on what I’m doing… If that’s what you meant, yes, I agree, and it will be more organized than the way I do things now.

Don’t understand, why you argue about what You DID.

The activated “Active corrections” list is a real time saver, allowing an overlook about all modifications of the momentary highlighted / chosen version – not necessarily what You DID.

When someone is playing with your files and delivering an idea you even asked for and you dont’t check the published virtual copy, which contains everything – what do you think will happen?

Nobody expects you following things slave-like, but also you don’t need anybody reciting the litany to enter one ear and leave the other – without effect, because you haven’t tried and tried and … , at your speed and interest.

to compare VC2 with VC1

I won’t try to speak for anyone else, just me, but there is a very simple explanation of how/why/when I do things.

1 - I try to edit an image to make it look the way I would like it to look, and post the raw, the .dop, and a jpg copy of the finished result I got.

2 - Someone else here edits my photo so it looks the way they feel it should look (and if it’s @Joanna , posts the information on how she did it.

3 - I get to view the revised file, and often view both my version and the other version side by side. One of two things will happen - I will prefer their version to my version, or I will prefer my version over what they did.

If I prefer their version, I load it up and struggle to find what thing(s) they did to improve it.
If I prefer my version over theirs, I usually don’t pay that much attention to it, unless it shows some technique that I didn’t know how to do before…

Obviously you didn’t understand – forget it.

All I know is the words I read here - apparently I don’t understand what you meant.

As far as I know, I’ve never done this.

I mostly do something, and explain in words, but the .dop file explains better than I can, and @Joanna usually comes up with a better way to do things than what I did. That’s what I was referring to.