Author Topic: Image browser unusable  (Read 4030 times)

simonecorelli

Image browser unusable
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:28:31 am »
Hi all, it's my first post. Sorry for poor English.

I love DXO Optics Pro but I have big problems in managing my photos with its Image Browser. In my system (iMac dual thunderbolt with 8 GB ram) a folder with 6800 images lead the image browser to freeze for many seconds every time I try to scroll on the left or on the right. I'm in communication with the support team to understand why this happens. I will appreciate your feedback about this "bug" (please don't say "use smaller folders").

If they will end saying me that's "normal", adding that I like to add tags to my images, I have this idea that I want to discuss with you:

1) I have a big folder with some subfolders, that contains ALL MY IMAGES in various format (RAW included). This folder is "Pictures" inside my home directory, but this is not important.

2) I have used by some months DXO Optics to develop these pictures obtaining results that are sometimes VERY DIFFERENT from the original developed using standard preset. This is the reason why I cannot catalog THE ORIGINALS. I want to see (a jpeg preview is enough) the MODIFIED images in the catalog.

3) So, using DXO Optics I'll export ALL MY IMAGES in a different single folder named "previews" in another disk, in jpeg format, with EXIF, with max lenght=1920 pixels.

4) I'll use Adobe Lightroom (for free) ONLY to see, order, manage the "previews" adding star rating and keywording for tags and fast search. When I need a hires image for a PRINT or for doing some improvements, I'll open it using DXO Optics Pro (then I'll update the lowres preview... sigh!)

What about this idea? Suggestions? Improvements?

Simone C.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:38:14 am by simonecorelli »

simonecorelli

trying to export...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:07:41 am »
Amazingly (!) trying to export all the images lead to a "The following output settings are in conflict: SC Preview and SC Preview - Please review your output settings, using different output directories to avoid name conflicts".
No problems testing the export with only 3 images.
I imagine that in some subfolders of the ORIGIN there are files with same name (but different suffix: jpg, tiff, tif, rw2...), so that the on the single folder destination is not possible to have two or more files with same name. It is a PITA.
Clicking on SHOW DETAILS lead to a freeze of the program.
OUCHHHHH!!!!
I have filtered ONLY RAW but this is not a solution, it's a very limited workaround.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:19:14 am by simonecorelli »

simonecorelli

Re: Image browser unusable
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »
The problem is that sometimes I have multiple instances of the same picture, one in raw, one in jpg, one in tiff... the name is the same, the file extension is different. But when DXO try to export them in jpg, the name become identical, file extension included.
It's a PITA. I would appreciate a mechanism to add a counter in the name for the second, third, fourth version.
As a workaround I could rename ALL the pictures adding the file extension in the name, this way:

name.ext becomes name(ext).ext
so that the jpeg previews of a raw and tiff file become name(RW2).jpg and name(tif).jpg but it's a little cumbersome, complicated way to workaround this limitation.

SC

simonecorelli

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »
In the meantime I have lost all the editing done: restoring a database backup of 31 december 2014 doesn't solve nothing: perhaps the change in disk and folder of my images lead the database not to be capable to relink the editing parameters...
OUCH!
 ::)DXO programmers: suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:15:37 pm by simonecorelli »

simonecorelli

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:05:31 pm »
The RELINK function is a solution ONLY if the images were put in a PROJECT, not for those simply in a folder.
OUCH!

So I suggest you to export the sidecars or NOT MOVING IMAGES from their original disk/folders.

I hate this mechanism a lot.

Sc

Jim Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:30 am »
Hi Simon!

From a classic bit by American comedian Henny Youngman:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Well, stop doing that!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

You are pushing DxO into realms where it doesn't belong... so stop doing it - if You wish to have a functional responsive program. Insisting that DxO must to conform to your needs, whatever they are, is misguided.

In your first post, referencing the number of images in your workflow, with the rejoinder - "Please don't say 'use smaller folders' " is in fact what You should do... otherwise You will continue to bang your head against the wall. DxO has never advertised itself as a Digital Asset Management application - but this is apparently what You are expecting it to be.

Last winter, in the space of three months, I curated 550,000 images for a New York City real estate entity. Do You have any clue what it is like to handle that many images at once - neither did I. After auditioning several programs I choose Adobe's Bridge program for the project. But, I found that after a certain amount of images in a folder (approx 3,600) Bridge became a bit sluggish. Solution: Stick to the application's capabilities, not those I wish it had; so I put a number of images in a folder that matched its ingestion capabilities on my system (somewhere around 2400 for peak performance) & things turned out well. If You do the math I curated 6,000+ images a day on average. I adapted my workflow to the software; You might consider doing the same.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:29:56 am by Jim Scott »

simonecorelli

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:47:51 am »
Thanks for you reply.

To find a workaround is the only practical solution, but as a user that payed the program I feel to have the rights to criticize and suggest improvements. Or not?

So, in short, I think that improving the efficiency of DXO OP will lead to a better user experience.

In my case (not only mine!) I need these functions:

1) FIND: by name, by date of shot, and by other metadata (see 2);
2) TAGS, or text description linked to the image;
3) an EFFICIENT image browser whose speed will be nearly independent from the number of files;
4) An AUTOMATICALLY fix function for the links to the database parameters, mandatory if you move an image from a folder or disk to another one (now it's only possible for images in PROJECTS and by hand, one by one, indicating not only the folder but also the file!);

and

5) AVAILABILITY of the (automatically updated) thumbnails to the external world, using normal filenames and better resolution (1920 pixels) so that Lightroom can use it and see the MODIFIED images, in a sort of preview.

I think that these points are very very very simple to implement (I'm a programmer) BUT will give a huge huge huge improvement to the software.

That's my 5 cents.

Simone Corelli

crisscross

• Pbase Galleries
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »
I am supporting Jim

Even if your work-arounds work, you are asking for trouble as DxO files the record of processing (.dop file) in the folder where the image originally came; if you change it, you lose the record.

From the fact you use a folder called "pictures" suggests you come from PC world. On a mac you don't need home folder, nor pre-ordained folders. (unless you are one of several users, another of whom could mess up)

So the sooner you break your images into managable folders of, I suggest 500 (nefs of 16MB in my case) with dated reference system eg on my n1v3-1502-0000-0500, the sooner you will make life easy.

DxO allows several Duplicate (alisases) processings of each image, all next to each other in source folder

For files converted to .tif, jpg etc, I suggest you use other software, the easy mac one being GraphicConverter. I keep converted images there under my own cataloguing system, but ALWAYS RETAINING the number that came from the camera, whatever I add before or after it. Mac Finder finds all variants.

That arrangement makes it easy to look out an image you know you have in your system and return to original for re-edit AND printing. Mac Finder is a database, you don't need other ones.

Unless you do a lot of further post-processing after DxO, which I personally rarely find necessary, you get as good prints as printer allows from original RAW, unconverted, in DxO
Chris     Nikon D7000  MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 http://www.pbase.com/crisscross

photography