Author Topic: My feature request #1: EXIF data  (Read 3087 times)

Nick_

My feature request #1: EXIF data
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »
Hi all

This is a feature request forum after all (a great initiative), so let's request. ;)

The set of EXIF data that's displayed is minimal. I guess it would be simple to display them all and choose in the Preferences which ones are diplayed. One has already the option of displaying or not the GPS ones (useless for me since my camera doesn't have this feature). Editing the keywords is a must-have of course.
And what about the IPTC as well?

Any comment?

Nick

Andreas Yankopolus

• Personal home page
Re: My feature request #1: EXIF data
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:07 am »
It's another application, but Photo Supreme does this kind of stuff and plays well with DxO. I'd rather the DxO team focus on enhancing integration with other software, particularly allowing it to accept commands.. I'd love to be able to select a bunch of photos in Photo Supreme (or whatever) and have it send DxO a command to export those files to a directory at a selected JPEG quality and max height & width.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:31:03 am by Andreas Yankopolus »

Nick_

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:44 pm »
It's another application, but Photo Supreme does this kind of stuff and plays well with DxO. I'd rather the DxO team focus on enhancing integration with other software, particularly allowing it to accept commands.. 
The EXIF data is just a text file embedded in picture files. DOP already displays part of them, I doubt it would be such a pain to display the whole file instead of just a selection.

I'd love to be able to select a bunch of photos in Photo Supreme (or whatever) and have it send DxO a command to export those files to a directory at a selected JPEG quality and max height & width.
I had a look at Photo Supreme's site. It looks good and it's (rather) affordable.

I'm not sure I understand this: “Photo Supreme also shows you the essential edits made with DxO Optics Pro, PhaseOne CaptureOne, or Adobe Lightroom so you know what image you’re working with.”
Does that mean it displays:
* the virtual copies created in DOP (I am a fan of this feature);
* pics (RAW or not) as treated with DOP, and multiple corrections in case of virtual copies.

Nick
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:30:48 pm by Nick_ »

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:05:44 pm »
Hi Guuys,

I'm afraid this is a Mac oriented discussion. However, let me add my thoughts here:

@Nick_
You are right, it is not a complicate task to make all EXIF data available. The complication is the difference among camera manufactures customization. It means, DoP have to make the all data conversion to user readable format for all camera. It is a little bit more complicated. To make a - theoretically - infinite window to display all EXIF data, is even a bigger challenge. FYR a Canon EOS-5D III RAW image has ~250 entry, meanwhile a Nikon D-4 JPG has 224 entry in the EXIF area. Try to go through such a long list. In the image file the content is not human readable, have to add the corresponding descriptions and convert the recored value to usual unit. It is a long-long development task.

@Andreas
As far as I see, Photo Supreme is a DAM application. What you need is to send the selected images to DoP, which makes the default corrections and exporting fully automatically ?
Let me recommend to try it first; select 10 images in a folder and without checking one by one, just export them to a certain folder. See the result. Are you sure, this is a reasonable feature, missing from DoP? Especially, the RAW conversion I think is not a simple job, like resizing. It is very much content dependent. Without user intervention the result should not be good enough.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »
I'm afraid this is a Mac oriented discussion.

There is nothing special about Mac here.

You are right, it is not a complicate task to make all EXIF data available. The complication is the difference among camera manufactures customization.

As a starter it would be enough to display all the standard EXIF and forget the custom ones. Plenty of apps do it.
DOP 10.1 introduced something new: it displays the ranks applied in Bridge which are stored in the EXIF data.
EXIF is no big deal.

As far as I see, Photo Supreme is a DAM application.

What's a DAM application?

What you need is to send the selected images to DoP, which makes the default corrections and exporting fully automatically ?
What do you mean by “send the selected images to DoP”. DOP doesn't “open“ images.
I'll download the try version. I need the organizer to display images as they are in DOP: all virtual copies with their correction, rank, etc.

Bencsi

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »
Hi Nick,

OK, this is not a Mac only related discussion. When I checked the Photo Supreme, its homepage was completely Mac oriented and I didn't check carefully the Windows version availability. We met first in the Mac section of DoP forum, supposed you have Mac only. Sorry.

The Standard set of EXIF data probably not defined exactly.

The set of EXIF data that's displayed is minimal. I guess it would be simple to display them all and choose in the Preferences which ones are displayed.

DAM = Digital Asset Management | The Photo Supreme is a typical DAM application.

Quote from: Bencsi on December 18, 2014, 11:05:44 pm
What you need is to send the selected images to DoP, which makes the default corrections and exporting fully automatically ?
What do you mean by “send the selected images to DoP”. DOP doesn't “open“ images.
I'll download the try version. I need the organizer to display images as they are in DOP: all virtual copies with their correction, rank, etc.

DoP is mainly a RAW converter. It is able to make modifications and Export the result to different file format images. Those images which are not exported, will not be available for other applications. If you want to see the exported DoP images in Photo Supreme, it is obviously no problem. As far as I saw, Photo Supreme is able display JPG and TIFF format images.
My thought about Andreas proposition was, why he need a batch conversion by DoP ? The 'send to DoP' means for me to instruct DoP to open, revise, convert, resize and save images. I'm waiting his clarification.

Finally, the virtual copy is an entry in the DoP database only. It is not an existing copy with different parameters, what other applications can examine.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:58 pm »
OK, this is not a Mac only related discussion. When I checked the Photo Supreme, its homepage was completely Mac oriented and I didn't check carefully the Windows version availability. We met first in the Mac section of DoP forum, supposed you have Mac only. Sorry.
As I usually say in this kind of circumstances: there is no way I will accept your apologies… since there was no offence. ;)

DAM = Digital Asset Management | The Photo Supreme is a typical DAM application.
OK. Thanks.

If you want to see the exported DoP images in Photo Supreme, it is obviously no problem. As far as I saw, Photo Supreme is able display JPG and TIFF format images.
Well, this is trivial. My wish is to find a DAM displaying the RAW pics with the settings done in DOP, as it is the case in Bridge with RAWs corrected by Adobe Camera Raw. XMP was developed by Adobe then it became an ISO standard. If LR can read RAWs corrected by DOP I suppose it's thanks to it.
That's what standard are meant for in the first place, hopefully.

DxO advertizes it in the page DxO Optics Pro 9.5 image quality now directly accessible from Adobe Lightroom :
“Increased compatibility with XMP standard
With the aim of facilitating its workflow with Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro v9.5 offers greater compatibility with the XMP standard: star or color rankings stored in image metadata are now perfectly preserved during transfer.”
Normally it would just as trivial displaying a RAW modified by any application in any other application as long as they are XMP-compliant as it is with JPG or TIF.
This is  probably the case yet but I hope it'll be the case soon.
Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
Time to revive this topic as it must be the one thing that folk like me who have migrated from lightroom & Photoshop want and more importantly need. It seems to me to be a no-brainer. If Optics Pro is to be a serious contended to the aforementioned apps then the ability to insert and search, metadata must be a feature available to users. I fully support the earlier request by Nick_, My feature request #1: EXIF data, which was made way back in 2014 and from a cursory search of the forums this is a well-supported request by users. So come on guys, lets have this implemented and you will have a load of very happy users!
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

rsoen

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:39 am »
Agree, EXIF data in really a missing feature.

Mike1

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »
I had a look at Photo Supreme's site. It looks good and it's (rather) affordable.

I'm not sure I understand this: “Photo Supreme also shows you the essential edits made with DxO Optics Pro, PhaseOne CaptureOne, or Adobe Lightroom so you know what image you’re working with.”
Does that mean it displays:
* the virtual copies created in DOP (I am a fan of this feature);
* pics (RAW or not) as treated with DOP, and multiple corrections in case of virtual copies.

It means that Photo Supreme can - optionally - read a limited amount of information from the the DOP file and apply this to the RAW image as it displayed in Photo Supreme, rather than displaying the RAW image as originally shot. (DOP files record settings from DxO's proprietary software, so third party software such as Photo Supreme can't mimic the full range of DxO edits - you need to publish a JPEG or TIFF from DxO and import it into Photo Supreme if you want to see the final image - the software can optionally group together multiple versions of the same image for ease of handling.)

Photo Supreme does store thumbnails of images in its database for quick display and offline use, but displays the original RAW file at higher resolutions when online. With or without interpreting parts of the DOP file.

DxO advertizes
“Increased compatibility with XMP standard
With the aim of facilitating its workflow with Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro v9.5 offers greater compatibility with the XMP standard: star or color rankings stored in image metadata are now perfectly preserved during transfer.”
Worth knowing that data in Photo Supreme is entirely driven by XMP data, and fully supports the XMP standard.

DxO could add greater metadata display capabilities, or even allow some editing, but if you're serious about cataloging and locating your images then you really need dedicated DAM software.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:07:10 pm by Mike1 »

Nick_

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:40 am »
Agree, EXIF data in really a missing feature.
Thanks for support the request.  :)
Nick

Nick_

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
The discussion about Photo Supreme would be another topic. It's only in my dream that an independent DAM would display DOP's corrections with its multiple virtual copies. It would be yet another dream that DOP would have full DAM capabilities. Let's forget about it.

DxO could add greater metadata display capabilities, or even allow some editing, but if you're serious about cataloging and locating your images then you really need dedicated DAM software.
No, Mike, DxO could NOT add GREATER metadata display capabilities and allow SOME editing. We need it to be FULLY compliant with the standard. Messing with a standard is wrong.
  • We need that DOP displays ALL the metadata and allows FULL editing of the normally editable data. It could be displayed in a collapsible frame.
  • I also created a topic about the issue of the Author and the Copyright tags: What's wrong with the EXIF data at DxO's? The issue has not been fixed so far.
  • There is also a compatibility issue with the Rating tag. Adobe Bridge and many other softs display and allow the user to edit the standard EXIF rating. It is displayed in DOP but if you change the rating DOP doesn't overwrite the actual EXIF tag but edits its own  in the .dop sidecar. So far so good. Why not having two separate ratings? The issue is that the newly added DOP's rating is displayed in the same field instead of the standard EXIF. I created a topic about it: EXIF and DOP's ratings conflict to be solved. Another discussion was created a little later: Storing ratings (DxO Optics Pro).
    This has to be fixed too.

If you agree please support those requests. TIA

Nick
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:35:23 am by Nick_ »

photography
photography