Author Topic: Difference between 'Generic' and other film simulations?  (Read 3777 times)

MarcoC

Difference between 'Generic' and other film simulations?
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »
What's the difference between say, Velvia 50 and the 'generic velvia' simulations?

Why is it that to my eye the 'generic' Velvia simulation produces colours more reminiscent of Velvia transparencies than the other Velvia simulations?

Leon

Re: Difference between 'Generic' and other film simulations?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:12 pm »
Can't answer the question about Velvia per se, however make sure you have a colour calibrated monitor to ensure what you is actually right (or as close as possible)!

Phil Grain

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »
Marco,

The generic is pretty much an in between of the several of the films in that range Velvia 50/100, Provia 100/100F/400F. But like you feel it gives a better feel in most cases than the specific with the Provia more like the Provia 100 before it was swapped to Provia 100F/400F which I loved, liked Provia 100F and the same for Velvia 50 before they messed about and tried to rebrand them.

Alan9940

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »
Hello MarcoC,

I, too, have always found the generic simulations to be more to my liking. Even though I've used FP for many years, I have no clue as to why the "real" simulations don't ever seem to match my memory of the actual film. And, in a couple of cases like Fuji Provia 100, for example, I don't have to rely on my memory as I still shoot that film today. I've always thought that the "conversions" as regard to color must be related somehow to the actual camera sensor and to the mapping of image file colors to film colors. As it says...they're all simulations.

Best regards,
AlanH

Valdo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:58:08 pm »
Generic isn't the camera own colour palette?

Pathal

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:04:15 am »
As far as I know "Generic" are films available in DxO Optics Pro, while others are only available in FP.
Patrick

MacBook Pro, i5 2,9 GHz, 8 G, SSD 500 Go, Thunderbolt Display 27" 2560x1440 px, macOS Sierra 10.12.2

photography