Author Topic: Copy/Paste Correction Settings Should Exclude Leveling & Cropping  (Read 11623 times)

MikeA01730

Typically when I've applied corrections to an image I've also cropped and/or leveled (i.e. set the horizon of) the image.  I'd like to be able to copy the other corrections & paste them into other images.  But I can't, because the leveling & cropping is different for each image even when everything else is the same. 

I'd like to see an option to exclude leveling & cropping when copying/pasting correction settings, or some other approach that lets me copy & paste corrections but not change leveling & cropping in the target images. 

Keith_Reeder

Re: Copy/Paste Correction Settings Should Exclude Leveling & Cropping
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:17:50 am »
Agreed - copying over cropping and levelling should be an option.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:59:49 am »
What about if you make a Preset, disable as many tool as you want? More effort, but you can do it.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

MikeA01730

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:56:19 pm »
What I typically do now is to select the image that has the changed settings, add to the selection all the images I want to apply the changes to, and then modify each changed setting a small amount so that's it's applied to all the selected images.  E.g. if I've changed the color temperature I select the images, use the up arrow once to increase the temperature, and then the down arrow once to decrease it back to where it was.  That's a lot faster than making a preset.  The only problem is that this doesn't always work: sometimes DxO doesn't seem to notice the change, I have to check and retry sometimes to make sure that the change takes. 

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
Should we say you found a solution without software development? Fine.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

MikeA01730

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »
That may be your view, but it's not mine.  I can circumvent a lot of problems, but the fact that they can be circumvented doesn't mean that the problem is solved.  That's particularly true when the circumvention is unreliable.

As I said originally, my suggestion is adding an option to disable the copying of cropping and leveling information when copying and pasting corrections. 

Keith_Reeder

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »
What about if you make a Preset, disable as many tool as you want? More effort, but you can do it.

Clumsy workarounds are never a good solution for what is a standard implementation in other, directly competitive, converters - Photo Ninja, Lightroom and Capture One all allow the user to select which settings are copied from image to image:

Photo Ninja

Lightroom 

Capture One
Keith Reeder
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

Bencsi

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:27 pm »
Correct comparison. Let us see what can you achieve?

Endre

Sophie

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »
Typically when I've applied corrections to an image I've also cropped and/or leveled (i.e. set the horizon of) the image.  I'd like to be able to copy the other corrections & paste them into other images.  But I can't, because the leveling & cropping is different for each image even when everything else is the same. 

I'd like to see an option to exclude leveling & cropping when copying/pasting correction settings, or some other approach that lets me copy & paste corrections but not change leveling & cropping in the target images.

Hi,

Thank you for your very interesting suggestion. We are looking into it, but cannot ensure any implementation for  now.

Best regards

Bencsi

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:38:14 pm »
As Grégory stated: That is it!

Nicolas06

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:35 am »
I'am also interrested into this improvement.

Usually I use one of tricks already explained:
- creating a preset with only some changes
- selecting all files and applying the modifications on all at the same time.

I feel theses 2 workaround to work but also to be a bit cumbersome. I would prefer that I could copy/past profile and choose what is copied/pasted with sane defaults. (like no crop/perspective, horizon...).

I perfectly understand that there are to be priorities, and this is not a complain... Just that I add my vote to this feature !

Best Regards,

Nicolas.

wsalopek

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:41:56 am »
Exactly...cropping should NOT be one of the settings that is copied from one image to another.

Thanks...

Mike1

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 06:30:41 pm »
I'd certainly support the option to exclude at least cropping and geometry changes from copy/paste functionality too.

KolinP

• My photography doorway
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:55:57 am »
I'd certainly support the option to exclude at least cropping and geometry changes from copy/paste functionality too.

+1
Nikon D700. DxO Photolab Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

Bencsi

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:15:37 pm »
Hi Guys, who support the exclude from copy settings the Crop only.

Are you sure, you will able to remember which parameter won't be copied during Shift+Ctrl+C ?
I would not recommend to hide one or some parameter from this command. Rather let me choose - by switch off the particular tools - which is not desired to copy. If we think about geometry generally, it is include the lens distortion, side rate, etc. The lens distortion correction in a substantial parameter meanwhile the people who want to export or print images in a certain side rate setting would be unhappy to make spacial Preset to achieve the desired result. As for me Copy settings is a shortcut to copy every parameter I should change manually too. It is not filtered, truncated or any other manner limited. If I do want to copy less than all, do it one by one or deactivate the unused tools. This is a widely applied process for copy.

Endre

photography