Author Topic: Infrared  (Read 5646 times)

Phil Grain

Infrared
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:42 pm »
Hello All,

Just got FP3 Expert at the weekend and was hoping with the custom presents to store a preset for Kodak EIR color infrared slide film, I've saved the preset(s) of a couple of filter types but when I load another picture to try and get an EIR infrared effect it just goes to the newly uploaded image without change and asking to use this as a new preset. Are the custom presets just for alterations on the control panel?

Also the B&W HIE infrared isn't how I got my film negatives a few years back when in sun with silver leafs and foliage, all the images I've looked at in the HIE Infrared options are simular to dull day infrared photographs. I used to use A 25A red filter (R72 at times) on my HIE infrared as well as red filter on some of my sunny B&W photography I was just wondering if there is a Red filter to be added to the filter list in the B&W? Or a way to add a red filter via a download?

Best wishes

Phil Grain

Priscilla Turner

Re: Infrared
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:18:34 am »
An amateurish and probably naive question to you (I have never tried IR photography, just I think understand the principles of filtration): won't all DxO's filters in fact be additive not subtractive, and in effect add a layer of colour?

Phil Grain

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:00 pm »
Hi Priscilla,

Indeed the different filters as with the different film types in DXO Filmpack 3 will give different results better or worse on different images. I am surprised though that a red filter was not in the list of filters of the b&w films as the red filter in b&w film always gave a henhancement in darks and lights in a B&W neg/slide more black in a blue sky/sea/water and better definition in clouds ect.

With some of the images I've put into the slide films have come out better in other film renditions in FP3 than I would have used in real film. Fuji Provia/Fuji Velvia and Kodak E100VS my regualer film slides I use/used. Some of my Kodak E100VS which I used a lot for sunset/glints/color contrasts have come out awful in FP3 of digital sunsets, I take it that is where a few moves of the sliders in the control come in.

With Infrared film Kodak HIE B&W/Infrared neg film a red filter is used, with the Kodak EIR color infrared a yellow filter gave a pink (foliage) green filter gave a redder pink (foliage). Some of my Kodak HIE/EIR pictures on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=10852989@N06&q=Infrared%20film

Digital infrared you can use a few different nm length infrared filters for brighter to darker images nm590 the bottom filter,nm720 the middle, nm 900+ for dark.

Phil Grain

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
It would be nice to have a few filters in the color slide/neg control panel as well polarizer/warm up/cool down ect filters with a slide scale to see what options they give to images I take it DXO's idea of filters of the Color slide/neg is to just use the Hue/saturation sliders?

Priscilla Turner

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:00 am »
Th point that I am trying to make is that in 'real' photography a colour filter does not add anything, it subtracts its opposite. I'm not clear that the effect can be the same in FP or any other digital programme.

photography
photography