Author Topic: Colorchecker Passport  (Read 24544 times)

slaurel

Re: Colorchecker Passport
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 02:39:37 am »
I posted this on a passport thread here previously - but it seems like the forums were migrated at some point and some of my old posts are gone. Fortunately, I kept the text.

I successfully produced an ICC from a passport which I was able to use in DxO. This is a few years back now, and I haven't updated the process for DxO 8/9, so some steps may need adjustment. Also, I'm not a color profiling expert, so there may be technical errors in this process - but "It worked to my satisfaction. YMMV."

# Obtain Argyll Color Management from:
# http://www.argyllcms.com/
# Windows, Mac, and Linux binaries available, and
# sources for other Unix platforms.

# Step by step instructions for Windows follow.

# Open DxO.

# Open a project which includes the Color target images. (Or start a
# new project and add the relevant images)

# Select one of the images with a color target which you wish to create
# a profile for.

# Select File->Export Image for ICC Profile->Export as linear Raw
# This will create a .tif file with a gamma value of 1.0
# The default filename is _DSCxxxx_linear.tif

Open a DOS window.

CD to the directory where the .tif was saved.

# Run the following two commands:

# In the first command, if you have a target other than the X-Rite Color
# Checker Passport, you will need to substitute the .cht file and .cie
# file that describe the layout and color data for your target.

c:\path\to\argyll\bin\scanin _DSCxxxx_linear.tif c:\path\to\argyll\ref\ColorChec
ker.cht c:\path\to\argyll\ref\ColorChecker.cie

# This reads the _DSCxxxx_linear.tif and locates the ColorChecker in it.
# After reading the color patches on the chart, it stores this data in
# _DSCxxxx_linear.ti3 - an Argyll data format. Now you have the .ti3.

# To use the .ti3 file to generate a .ICC/.ICM file do this:

c:\path\to\argyll\bin\colprof.exe -v -M"D700" -D"Profile from DSCxxxx.raw" -qm -
am -u _DSCxxxx_linear

# The program uses the last argument to find a .tif file, and generates
# a _DSCxxxx_linear.icm output file. icm is the native Windows ICC profile
# filetype.

# Note: the -qm option in the colprof.exe line tells Argyll to generate
# a 'medium' quality ICC. High - 'h' and Ultra high 'u' are also available
# options. Argyll recommends trying 'm' first, and only using the other
# settings if dissatisfied with the results.

# The -am and -u options tell colprof.exe that you want an ICC that is
# compatible with DxO for use with a camera (as opposed to a scanner,
# etc).

# To use the new .icm profile, go back to DxO, and in Color Rendering
# select 'ICC profile' then 'Import ICC Profile' will be available in
# the second drop-down list. Select that, and navigate to the folder
# where the .icm file is, and load it.

# While your Color rendering is now calibrated to your target, keep in
# mind that various DxO options, such as DxO lighting, will change the
# look of your target. At its default setting it tries to lighten up
# shadows, and will likely lighten the patches on your target as well.
# Uncheck DxO lighting temporarily if you wish to view the results of
# the calibration.

romke

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 09:08:06 am »
to me it seems that it would be easier if Xrite supplied the software to make a ICC profile. they do so for Adobe products, so you do not need to use the Adobe DNG profiler. perhaps the same approach could be used with DXO - just shoot the card and let the Xrite software take care of generating the profile and take care of it in such a way that DXO can use it.

Bencsi

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 09:19:03 am »
I would appreciate too, if DxO offer a simple user interface to generate icc profiles without command prompt usage with several switches and file name type. This is a typical programmer job, rather than customer intervention.
I downloaded the Agryl zip file, but it seems very complicated for average user. Several circumstance not defined ( size of reference picture, orientation, histogram positioning within exposure area, etc.)
Anyhow, thanks for the advice slaurel. It is a last chance solution.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

edchan

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 12:32:58 am »
+1 for being able to use a Colorchecker with DxO!

che

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:01 am »
+ 1 from me too

edchan

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 10:50:08 pm »
Please support the Colorchecker passport, would save us a great deal of time in post, thanks!

alfie

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 03:27:27 am »
Any updates on this ?

danz

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:18:08 pm »
I would like to hear an update / new feedback from DxO on this point as well.

Daniel
Win7 Pro, 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel i7-3612QM @ 2,10GHz
Canon 5D mkII, Canon 50D + selection of Canon and Sigma lenses

bogorad

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 12:25:01 pm »
Any news from DxO? Shame they don't seem to care!

John7

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 12:29:50 pm »
Looking at the forum for requests and those here no they don't! Now if it were for the One you would probably get read and a response from someone from DxO but OP, they are not interested now and never were very anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:00:57 pm by John7 »

mk0x55

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 02:30:25 am »
I tried to follow the guides, having tried several solutions, but I still didn't find any of them working well enough:
  • Having ColorChecker application export a DCP profile, which I then ran through dcp2icc (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dcp2icc/) to produce an ICC profile, which I finally used in DxO OpticsPro / PhotoLab.
  • Following the process posted by slaurel (above). That one gave me trouble though, because the TIFF image exported from DxO as linear raw was too dark for scanin to process, and scanin also showed itself to be sensitive to perspective distortions. Boosting the TIFF's exposure by 4.0 or exporting one as realistic color rendering resulted in something I didn't like and trust. The results were also slightly different from one another.
  • Using DCamProf and following a similar process than slaurel's: https://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/dcamprof.html
  • Loading my original RAW in DxO OpticsPro / PhotoLab to apply DxO Lens Sharpness and exporting as DNG, which I then opened in RawTherapee and adjusted the colors using the DCP profile, before exporting a 16-bit TIFF back for DxO OpticsPro / PhotoLab to do further editing there.
All three gave me trouble and suboptimal results that were just hard to be happy with.

The first two solutions (dcp2icc & slaurel's) led to an instantly compressed tonal range toward the bottom part, resulting in a dark, washed out image, and a loss of tonal information. Adjusting the tone curve to compensate for that resulted in degraded image quality like visibly coarse transitions between tones.

The third solution (DCamProf) was better, but still compressed the tonal range a bit.

All of the first three solutions changed the white balance of the image, too.

The fourth solution (RawTherapee) appeared to work perfectly, however, as I later realized, not quite. The DCP profile color correction appears to work just perfectly in RawTherapee (just as the ICC that previously didn't work well), but there is a major issue with luminance level and noise after loading a RAW image - at least for the raws from my 5DsR. RawTherapee apparently reads the RAWs too dark - the tonal range is again compressed toward the darks (or left on the histogram). When reading a DNG, it is less so, but still more than in other RAW editors like DxO OpticsPro / PhotoLab or Canon DPP (surely also Adobe Lightroom/ACR). What RawTherapee does is that it automatically adjusts the exposure and tones to compensate for it (in case of using my DNG by +0.86 of exposure value and in case of using the original RAW by 1.04, which is pretty brutal and brings up a lot of noise).

I don't quite understand why RawTheapee behaves that way, but out of all the options, the combo of DxO OpticsPro / PhotoLab and RawTherapee appears to be the most acceptable out of the four mentioned above - despite the fact that I end up trading more faithful colors for a piece of overall image quality.
Perhaps the only viable way is to start using Lightroom/Photoshop to color-correct images pre-processed by DxO and exported by it as DNGs... have left to try that out.

I'd be grateful if someone explained the issues or perhaps a method that simply works reliably and well.

Finally, I would just love to be able to do the DCP color correction directly in DxO... following any of those methods described above really slows down the workflow.

Mack

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:22 pm »
Given this is a four year old thread, I do not understand why DxO hasn't accepted and incorporated the x-rite ColorChecker/Passport/MacBeth chart into the program either.  They are a standard in the industry.

I see the video editors like DaVinci Resolve even incorporated those charts to set the color corrections up.  Speeds up the video post color-grading a lot too.  DxO needs to set up their game a bit for still work.

As to RAWTherapee and those charts mentioned above, might mention it to them on their own forum.  They seem to address the technical issues faster.

photography
photography