Author Topic: Colorchecker Passport  (Read 23357 times)

Arved

Colorchecker Passport
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:14:02 am »
I have no doubt the color profiles from dXo are the best available when the CRI of the lights used is 100. However, in mixed lighting, or when the CRI of the lights used is <100, it seems to me that a profile generated with a Colorchecker Passport or other suitable source (MacBeth color chart) will help compensate for less than laboratory standard lighting.

Is there a way to integrate the Colorchecker Passport into Pro Optics workflow? That is, other than as a standard for setting the white balance.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:37:41 pm by Arved »

Emilie_D

Re: Colorchecker Passport
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:41:44 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for your interest in DxO Labs.

If you have a tool generating calibration ICC profiles, you can use tham on the RAW images (sub-palettte « Color rendering » in « Light and color – Advanced »).

Best regards,

The DxO Labs team

Arved

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:38:07 pm by Arved »

DrJon

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:32:25 pm »
The ColorChecker Passport software generates dcp profiles which aren't the same as icc, any ideas how to use them?

Actually can I add a request to work with X-Rite and add native support for ColorChecker (say in the Elite version) as would be very handy and a time-saver.

My approach with DXO was:
(1) Identify image with ColorChecker target
(2) Open in ACR in CS6
(3) Save from that dialogue as a DNG
(4) Open ColorChecker Passport (CCP) Software
(5) Open Explorer Window and go to directory with DNG
(6) Drag and drop DNG into CCP
(7) Drag handles until the boxes line up with the samples
(8 ) Give the profile a less general purpose name and save with original images.
(9) Discover Optics pro doesn't eat dcp profiles
(10 ) Download this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcp2icc/files/
(11) Extract it and put it somewhere on the path
(12) Open a Command Prompt and cd to wherever the dcp file is, run dcp2icc filename 5000
(13) In DxO go to Color rendering in Light and color – Advanced and choose to load an ICC profile. Load the profile and it says "The selected ICC file does not represent an RGB profile" and doesn't work.
(14) Give up... post here :-)

In Lightroom:
(1) Go to ColorCheckerProfile pic in Develop module
(2) Menu: File -> Export, Choose X-Rite presets from drop-down, type in meaningful name, hit Export
(3) A while later a message saying has completed appears, restart Lightroom if necessary then select the profile in Develop->Camera Calibration -> Profile
All done...

So some support for the ColorChecker would be great, failing that could anyone give me some ideas on how to make it work?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:34:47 pm by DrJon »

danz

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »
This is a very good request.
Especially as DxO promoted ColorChecker (by Datacolor) some time ago. At the same time giving a discount for buying Datacolor products.

Implementating color management based on the ColorCheckr would be great!
Win7 Pro, 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel i7-3612QM @ 2,10GHz
Canon 5D mkII, Canon 50D + selection of Canon and Sigma lenses

Bencsi

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:57 am »
I would support such development in DoP too. The X-rite Color Checker is an industry standard. The inclusion in DoP certainly genrate some new customer.
Of course, the usage have to be very simple. Not more than 3-4 step to generate actual color profile.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

DellFan

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:28:23 am »
Yeah, me too!

C´mon DxO let us use these wonderfull things ;-)

KolinP

• My photography doorway
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:59 pm »
Yes please DxO Labs,

This would be such a logical enhancement to DxO Optics Pro (DOP), given the immensely powerful adjustment tools we've already got on the DOP 'Customise' palettes.

DOP would be even better if we could use this 'colour standard' tool to give us a thoroughly trusted starting or reference point, from which we could apply our later adjustments.

Colin P.
Nikon D700. DxO Photolab Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

Bencsi

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »
Dear Emilie_D,

I'm afraid, we have a communication problem.
We Users, would like to have a built in ICC profile MAKER, rather than APPLY an existing profile.
I tried to apply an 'Adobe RGB (1998).icc' profile to one of my picture in the 'Color rendering/Camera,film, ICC profile' sub-tool - as you advised. The pop-up window gave me two choices:
   1. ..... linear RAW .....
   2. ..... DXO realistic ....
Both renderings are awful. Without having the correct ICC profile for a certain environment X-Rite Passport picture, it is hopeless to use for a couple of pictures. Unfortunately, X-Rite produces ICC profile only for DNG pictures.

It means: Convert RAW file in CameraRaw and make a DNG file. Open Color Checker -> load DNG -> generate DCP color profile -> run 'dcp2icc' to generate ICC profile -> copy this profile to 'c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\' -> open DoP, go to 'Color rendering/Camera,film, ICC profile' sub-tool and select it .

I do not think, the forum buddies would like to do it this way.

Please consider to make a color profiler, based on a DoP compatible picture format.

Best regards

Endre
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:22:16 pm by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Mack

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:34:04 pm »
I tried Bensci's method above with Windows 8.  What a mess!  You need a compiler and know how to run all the programs to get the dcptoicc to extract and work.  Too much of a learning curve for an icc profile to use within DxO Optics.  I gave up as I'm not an IT/programmer guy.

Fwiw, x-rite (ColorChecker) has two color charts now.  The old (standard MacBeth) 24 patch chart, and a newer chart with more control patches called "ColorChecker SG for digital cameras."  Bad part is the new chart lists for around $305.  I see they list both in their "i1 Photo Pro 2" hardware/software profile maker, as well as the Wilhem Faust/Kodak IT8 charts.

Mack

Bencsi

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:27:41 pm »
Dear Mack,

That is the point. The procedure is too complicate to make it before new Project establish.
OK, there are several color charts, but not more than 5 type. If the ICC profile maker is ready, the color chart version template add-on is quite simple, anytime later.

Endre

P.S.: in the meantime, I tested the conversion software called 'dcp2icc.exe' from Soundforge.
Unfortunately, it convert the color profile quite quickly, but DoP doesn't recognize as RGB profile ! Here is the end of the Color Checker Passport usage. It is not usable. Sorry to mislead anyone.
( the conversion was simple, go to the dcp2icc.exe folder and execute the
[dcp2.icc.exe "Your ICC profile name -made by Color Checker Passport application" "white balance temperature in K°]
and the ICC profile file is ready.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:56:09 pm by Bencsi »

Emilie_D

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:57 am »
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in DxO Labs.

The Color rendering palette is not meant to be used with standard ICC profiles like Adobe RGB, but rather with profiles generated for your camera by a calibration device, so what you saw is perfectly normal.

For now, there are no plans for a DxO ICC profile generation tool.

Best regards,

The DxO Labs team

Bencsi

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
Dear Emilie,

Thanks your clear statement.

Endre

Ian Anderson

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »
There are tools that will create ICC profiles from the Colorchecker - I tried them when I bought one a couple of years ago.  They weren't great but might be better now.  The results with ACR were quite good and it's too bad DxO doesn't plan to support it, but I'm still holding out hope for ND grad & red eye reduction tools, which I would love, too :)

neuroanatomist

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »
I, too, would really like to see support for the X-Rite Color Checker Passport in DOP.
17" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD, OS 10.11.6
13" MacBook Air, 1.7 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, OS 10.11.6
27" Thunderbolt Display

photography