Author Topic: Advice on using filmpack  (Read 3669 times)

mikey2000

Advice on using filmpack
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:53 am »
Hi all,

I just downloaded the trial for DXO filmpack and I quite like it (especially the batch processing!)

I\'d like a bit of advice on getting the best results though.  My camera can produce a variety of JPG styles (from neutral to vivid colours, high to low contrast etc) and output from RAW also gives me a wide variety of options for colour/contrast.

What\'s the best starting point for a file being processed by DXO Filmpack?  My guess is a neutral colour with medium/low contrast to allow Filmpack some lattitude.   Is this a sensible choice or can FilmPack experts recommend something else?

I don\'t have any film cameras to compare my digital simulation to the \'real thing\' and I\'d like to be able to generate a convincing film look but as in everything digitial, Junk in=Junk out.

Thanks,
Michael

Alan9940

Advice on using filmpack
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:13:12 am »
Hello Michael,

I can\'t advise on JPEG processing with FilmPack because I shoot only RAW. However, I make fair use of the FilmPack within Optics Pro. I typically will click through several of my favorite films (Fuji Provia, for example) looking for something that provides a good starting point. Then, with Optics Pro set to "Advanced User" I will generally tweak many of the parameters in the various panels to obtain exactly what I\'m looking for. In other words, I don\'t necessarily accept DxO\'s rendition as the gospel. I have no qualms about going in and tweaking HSL, color modes, etc. All that said, though, IMO the Kodachrome 25 setting is just dead wrong! Many on this forum have complained about the K25 color palette (myself included) since the early days of the FilmPack, but DxO hasn\'t chosen to fix it. Don\'t use it! My only guess is that no one at DxO ever shot or have seen a K25 slide!! :D

Hope this helps.

Regards,
AlanH

photography