Author Topic: "Loading error" -- was it caused by IDImager?  (Read 2417 times)

mikea

"Loading error" -- was it caused by IDImager?
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:26:22 am »
The DxO demo version I have been trying out consistently displays a couple of files with only this instead of image previews: Loading error.

There\'s no way to edit these in DxO, though other RAW converters can open them.

I thought that something in how Photo Mechanic embeds IPTC data caused the problem -- might it be corrupting EXIF data also? I cleared out the IPTC data (also using Photo Mechanic). The files were still unreadable in DxO.

Then I ran the excellent EXIFTOOL program on the files and examined the output, comparing it with EXIFTOOL output for files DxO does read successfully. Over 100 tags were missing from the files with the "Loading error" problem.

And the "Software" tag\'s value had been altered to read "http://www.idimager.com" (by default the value is "Ver.1.00", probably indicating the firmware version in the d-SLR itself).

I have never owned IDImager but once tried a demo version. I do own a "companion" product of theirs called IDBatcher, which I use for save-for-web purposes. "Batcher" has some editing functions (but they\'re buggy and I used them only briefly for testing).

Well, clearly I must have opened the non-DxO-friendly files in either the demo version of IDImager or in editing-mode within IDBatcher. As I never knowingly edit EXIF data (only IPTC data), I can\'t imagine how else I could have lost over 100 EXIF tags. They must include ones DxO requires. Otherwise, what would the "loading error" be?

So it suggests: doing any update in IDImager or IDBatcher -- at least with Nikon D3 files -- before opening them in DxO is not a good idea. I don\'t know how I can ever restore the missing EXIF data and make the files usable in DxO again.

Well, so much for the idea of software not making destructive edits to RAW files. The image data wasn\'t corrupted, but whatever happened, in whatever program that caused the loss of the tags, was certainly destructive enough...

macroimage

"Loading error" -- was it caused by IDImager?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:36:19 pm »
The EXIF loss is the problem for sure.  To restore it, reload the original files from the cards or your backups.

DxO needs to work on the unmodified files from the camera to work best.

photography
photography