Author Topic: Photolab 2  (Read 522 times)

Fotoguido

Photolab 2
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:55:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

got PL2 now and played around a bit. I'm using DXO since 2009 and am in general very satisfied. Handling and results are top notch. The Local Adaptions possibilities are sensational.

Honestly V2 is not really a new Version, I'd rate it a 1.5 instead. Clearview Plus might be better, fine, do not use it a lot. Advanced Color Management is nice but I do not need it, I learned to manage colors to my needs. And last not least this search function called photo library: if I type e.g. 1600 it shows me all pics I ever took since 2008 (!!!) with ISO 1600 including pics which have been created by DXO/PL... Well, that's nice but I do not need that.

What I'd hoped for was a filter function instead, so to show all pics in a certain folder which have been taken with say ISO 1600 AND ABOVE for instance to then apply PRIME for all of them in one go. I really miss that. If you think that further it could be a nice idea to filter by other EXIF Parameters such as aperture, focal length, exposure time a.s.o. and then always from... to... or below/above. This would really help to apply certain PL2 settings in huge projects.

And what I miss is the 1:1, + and %zoom buttons, they are hidden behind a small triangle in the upper right corner. So to go to 75% what I use a lot you have to klick twice. This is because my monitor is just 38cm wide. Could be better to make the control bar customizable, there are functions behind wide buttons I do not need e.g. Presets and Reset. Or at least make a Cmd key available for 75% (like Cmd4 for 100% and Cmd3 for full)

And the zoom slider in the small window is still missing from DXO even though it has been demanded clearly by the community.

For the future, dear DXO team (and I already requested this some years ago) think about artificial bokeh like Apple now does it in the Iphone-X, de facto it should be implemented better, an unsharpening of areas which are already not perfectly sharp, so further soften dedicated areas with a to be defined unsharpness to a certain %-age. A full format simulator so to say, esp. for portraits...This would be a killer tool. 

So, is it worth it? I'd say yes, there are good offers for PL customers to upgrade. But to me it is not ready yet. Let's hope that the company entirely comes out of trouble soon and that new optical and camera modules will be produced soon, there is a certain backlog...

fscherz

Re: Photolab 2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:52:06 pm »
I completely agree.
The only big addition was the search function, it's in right direction but you cannot search for IST bigger than 2000 :( or other ranges, so it's not very useful for me.
Franz

D700 +  Nikon lenses (coming from V4.5 on D80 and D300)
Shooting only RAW with some pictures at SmugMug

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 04:33:00 pm »
Hi fotoguido,

You are missing two functions, let me help.

1. 75% zoom quick access: If you move the mouse pointer above the the main preview screen and scroll the mouse wheel, the image will change the zoom factor without any click anywhere. You can monitor the actual zoom percentage on the top of the main preview area. It is true, there is no 75% exactly ( 60% -> 70% ), but it is very easy to use.

2. Artificial bokeh generation: the Local adjustment allow to select any part of the image and use the Blur slider in the Detail group to make unsharp the selections.

In respect of range input to the search field, it is not supported yet, hopefully those will be implemented in the next subversion.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

John7

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:56:44 pm »
O'h dear I hope they concentrate on core improvements rather than wasting time on the search thing that few asked for! In the current position of DxO it is very reminiscent of the DxO One for the ability to suck resources into an area that has few returns and leave to areas that can have large returns neglected. The reason we/DxO are in the current position now!

Mack

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »
Hooray!  Finally, color management is in it!   :)

Made some DCP profiles using the ColorChecker Passport, the software for it, and Adobe DNG Converter 11 and they really do look a lot better than older PhotoLab 1 that was sans any color management profiles.

I don't using the cataloging or search as I keep nothing on my editing computer as it all goes off onto USB hard drives once I'm done with the images and stored by year on them.  Just folders and names, with sub folders of the better ones.

Fotoguido

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 11:41:27 am »
Hi Endre,

your Feedback is appreciated, thank you.

1. zoom percentage: in the customize window the percentqaage indication is hidden behind the small arrow as already described, you will see it when you try it on a smaller screen.

2. That's the way I'm doing it currently but this is difficult to use on portraits, groups of people or even some landscape pics. Transition from sharp to unsharp is hard to handle especially when the backkground is shining through hair or other small interstice areas. So one can easily see that it's artificially made. Let me suggest you to discuss my proposal in the circle of developers. You will se, this well implemented can be some key criteria for PL. And I'm sure with already available routines this can be implemented quite easy.

Regarding search: please urgently consider limitations on certain Folders not always the entire library!

Thanks again!
Cheers
Guido

canopanaflyer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »
I've been a loyal customer since 2006, but this is the first time I am hesitating about spending around $70 for what is (to me) a minor upgrade to my PL Elite - as others have pointed out.  The improved Clearview is certainly not worth the upgrade price, and most of the other features will never be used by me (search, color management, etc.).  I am now only using DxO for my older photos, or those I still shoot with an older camera or my iPhone, because I've switched to Fuji, which DxO are still obstinately refusing to produce any modules for.  For heaven's sake, much of the photographic community is now raving over Fuji (X-T3, etc.) as one of, if not the, best mirrorless camera systems on the market.

I'm trying the 30 day trial of PL2, but I may give it a miss.  I want to support DxO through their difficulties, and I would have paid $35 or $40 for the Elite upgrade (I still need Elite for my older stuff) - but $70 is edging closer to the price of some new packages......

photography