Author Topic: Embeded Metadata XMP-fiiles  (Read 261 times)

Martin van Gog

Embeded Metadata XMP-fiiles
« on: October 21, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
Before I transfer files to PL, I add in LR metadata to files. [colour-flag + rankig & IPTC info]

In LR I save the data in the XMP-sidecars. {Ctrl+S}. After transfer to PL, there is no info.

When I convert the files, in LR before transfer, to DNG-format, there is a slight progression. The IPTC info is there, but not the colour-flag or ranking.

What are I doing wrong?

With regards, Martin

fscherz

Re: Embeded Metadata XMP-fiiles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:37:23 am »
I would love that as well!
If xmp exist use the rating in there otherwise use on1 file....

I use multiple programs like Lightroom ,Capture One and DXO but DXO is the only which ignores the rating/colors of the others.
Franz

D700 +  Nikon lenses (coming from V4.5 on D80 and D300)
Shooting only RAW with some pictures at SmugMug

Martin van Gog

Update: Embeded Metadata XMP-fiiles
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:41:53 am »
I´ve found a work-around to solve this problem.

I copy the 'DCIM' folder from the SD-card to a dated folder hierarchy on a SSD.

At first I begin with using an other program for culling; Fast RAW Viewer. [I have no affiliation with them other than as a customer.]

It's fast, showing the real RAW histogram.

You can use it for culling { moving to _reject subfulder with keyboard shortcut}  + ranking and color labeling the 'keepers'. Adobe Lightroom recognizes both. But DxO does only recognized ranking. So at this stage I only use ranking.

Then I import the files, by move, into LR. During import I applied file-renaming [ Using a template ] & a 'IPTC' preset.

When the files are imported, I convert them to DNG. To be sure of my case: {Windows} -> Control + A (select all) -> Control + S (-> Metadata-> Save Metadata to File).

Again .... Control+A -> Files->Plug-in Extras->Transfer to DxO Photolab. DxO opens a new project with the opened files. And voilà 'the Stars & IPCT-info are there'.

After the edeting in PL, I transfer the  files back to LR as DNG.

In LR I select the files again. (Control+A). Metadata->Read Metadata from File.

It takes some getting used to, but the end result is that the operation in PL fully corresponds to LR.
And with the help of the 'DxO Photolab Collection function' further processing in LR is possible. Or open a file out of a collection as Smart Object in Photoshop.

I hope you can benefit from this work-around, Martin.  ;)

photography
photography