Author Topic: Replicating DPP effects  (Read 561 times)

pratikray80

Replicating DPP effects
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:56 am »
The initial rendering of the images, out of the camera seems to have more pop with Canon's DPP as opposed to other softwares including PhotoLab. The final images from DxO / Adobe of course are much better than Canon's software.

Is there some way in which I can get Photo Lab to render the initial view as well as the Canon software? Any Canon profile that can be created for Photo Lab?

mwsilvers

Re: Replicating DPP effects
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:59 pm »
The initial rendering of the images, out of the camera seems to have more pop with Canon's DPP as opposed to other softwares including PhotoLab. The final images from DxO / Adobe of course are much better than Canon's software.

Is there some way in which I can get Photo Lab to render the initial view as well as the Canon software? Any Canon profile that can be created for Photo Lab?

The reason is quite simple actually.  By default,  Canon's DPP software applies the same in-camera settings to raw files that it does for jpegs. Thus its adding the camera's sharpness, contrast, color tone and style settings. Other raw processing programs like DXO PhotoLab ignore most of the in-camera settings. That is why unedited raw images in those programs tend to look flat and dull. 

DXO Photolab comes with a lot of presets to automatically change the look of your images and you can also make your own. You can even select which preset will be applied to your images when you open them. Find the preset that works for you or make your own and set it as the default and you're good to go. You can always use a different preset if you wish, or none at all, depending the the image and your intentions.   

Mark

pratikray80

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:23 pm »
Thanks, Mark.

rsp

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »

It depends which Picture Style you're used to. To mimic the Landscape picture style from Canon, using default preset as a basis, I set contrast to +25 and vibrancy to +10.
rsp

photography