Author Topic: Photo Lab and legacy cameras  (Read 834 times)

Mel

Photo Lab and legacy cameras
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:27:33 pm »
Recently I had to re-edit some photos taken in past years by Minolta A2 camera. PhotoLab has all the necessary correction modules but displays a message that this camera is not supported. RAW file format does not matter, I converted native MRW to DNG - does not work.

What's the reason to prohibit edits basing on camera model?

ShardulNayak

Re: Photo Lab and legacy cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:14:59 am »
Recently I had to re-edit some photos taken in past years by Minolta A2 camera. PhotoLab has all the necessary correction modules but displays a message that this camera is not supported. RAW file format does not matter, I converted native MRW to DNG - does not work.
[/size]
what's the reason to prohibit edits basing on camera model?

Having same problem. Please help site admin
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:51:45 pm by ShardulNayak »

KolinP

• My photography doorway
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »

What's the reason to prohibit edits basing on camera model?
I'm seeing this too.
I have the DxO module installed OK in PhotoLab for my Konica Minolta A2 camera, but the .MRW files from my A2 camera are still being flagged as "not supported ...".
Nikon D700. DxO Photolab Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

Mel

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:53 pm »
BUMP!

Pls DxO staff give us a solution to this problem. Will the new Photolab version support RAW files from older cameras?
They were supported before. They are not supported now.

So far I gave up investing more money in DxO (loyar user since version 7) as it does not look reliable in long term. I seriously doubt future DxO versions will support my current C 5DII and Pentax K1 files.

-- M.

Soundivad

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »
I saw a similar problem on a post on a Facebook group, related to some canon files.
resetting/erasing the cache seems to solve the problem

pisaacs@erols.com

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:42:21 pm »
I really don't understand this since even if the older cameras are not "supported" you should be able to open the images up to do your own adjustments. It's not as if when DxO and Photolab open an image, it's so PERFECT that any adjust we users might make will degrade the result. I understand it's a marketing tool when a standard license user cannot open a camer's images and the elite version can, but the elite should be able to open anything, supported or not.

Mel

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 08:46:23 am »
I really don't understand this since even if the older cameras are not "supported" you should be able to open the images up to do your own adjustments. It's not as if when DxO and Photolab open an image, it's so PERFECT that any adjust we users might make will degrade the result. I understand it's a marketing tool when a standard license user cannot open a camer's images and the elite version can, but the elite should be able to open anything, supported or not.

I have the Elite version. I cannot open my images - a message appears:

"This image cannot be processed since it was taken with a camera that is not supported by this version of DxO PhotoLab."

DxO modules are listed as installed and I WAS able to edit the file before I upgraded.

No comment...

-- M.

Bencsi

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:32:04 am »
Hi Mel,

I think this degradation of supported camera + lens combination is not intentional, the best to write an e-mail to support@dxo.com with exact details of the phenomenon. Usually they are able to push the developers to repair the incompatibility.
I tested my Canon 5D MkII images with various lenses and did not found any compatibility issue.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Mel

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 09:35:41 pm »
Thanks, Endre, for your suggestion. I contacted the support staff and got a reply form Riley:

DxO PhotoLab is not meant to reprocess images that have been processed by previous versions of our software, or any other software, only the original images.  Unfortunately, as you stated you processed these images in a previous version of DxO OpticsPro, they are no longer seen as supported.  You would need to use unprocessed images only.

Well, so I reached my archives, found untouched RAW files, and cannot process them. This camera is not supported by this version of PhotoLab.

I have no time to struggle with this issue any longer, I will do my edits in PS, but I would definitely think twice or more before using DxO for professional work that would need to be re-opened for any reason in the future. You might end up with useless files because they were taken by a camera that is arbitrarily considered as too old.

My adventure with DxO is over. There are good and reliable alternatives.

-- Mariusz

Bencsi

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:20 pm »
Hi Mariusz,

I regret you had a bad experience with DxO. As a last chance let me try to help.

There is a workaround. Fortunately all versions of DxO pro are installed independently. If you bought any previous version, in the DxO shop under your name there are the details ( particularly the serial number ) you paid for. Reinstall the old version on your PC - probably it is compatible with 32 bit system only, therefore you have to find a machine with compatible OS.  If you want to use this version longer time, validate it with the old serial number; otherwise choose Trial. Afterwords open the image ( of course you have to download the particular camera + lens module which will be proposed by OpticsPro ). You can edit now the basic adjustments here. Save the result in JPG or TIFF with full resolution.
This image to be opened by DPL v2. If it complains again, go back to older version and in the Export sub-window enable the 'Remove EXIF data' radio button.
DPL will able to open this JPG or TIFF image without any trouble and you can apply new Presets, Local adjustments, etc. in DPL Fortunately, DPL is not so delicate for the unknown camera JPG images.

Endre
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:47:27 pm by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 08:55:38 am »
Thanks, Endre, for your suggestion. I contacted the support staff and got a reply form Riley:

DxO PhotoLab is not meant to reprocess images that have been processed by previous versions of our software, or any other software, only the original images.  Unfortunately, as you stated you processed these images in a previous version of DxO OpticsPro, they are no longer seen as supported.  You would need to use unprocessed images only.

Well, so I reached my archives, found untouched RAW files, and cannot process them. This camera is not supported by this version of PhotoLab.

I have no time to struggle with this issue any longer, I will do my edits in PS, but I would definitely think twice or more before using DxO for professional work that would need to be re-opened for any reason in the future. You might end up with useless files because they were taken by a camera that is arbitrarily considered as too old.

My adventure with DxO is over. There are good and reliable alternatives.

-- Mariusz

Hello Mariusz,

Could you, please, provide me with your RAW test file? I need it for the investigation. Please, upload it to upload.dxo.com (put your Forum name in the support ticket field) and let me know when ready.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

photography
photography