Author Topic: New user - a couple of basic questions  (Read 505 times)

gstepic

New user - a couple of basic questions
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:31:52 pm »
I am playing around with the trial Elite version and so far really like what I see. I have been researching the difference between Capture Pro 11 and DXO. Even though, from a long thread on DPReview, most thought CP was the superior program, for me the potential workflow and ease of use (plus I have the Sony only version of CP and I still have old Canon and Nikon raw files) make DXO appealing to me.

I downloaded the pdf user guide but could not find any info on how to work on multiple files at once. Is it as simple as selected a bunch of files, then whatever adjustment is made on the file in the preview window will be made on all the selected files? I was able to do this in ACR (I canceled my Adobe CC subscription so have been looking for alternatives) and for me it was easy and a real time saver,

Another question, will I have to find and download all the profiles of cameras and lenses I have used or are many built in already? From reading the user guide it appears there are various modules with the profiles.

My last question is are there any ebooks that compliment the user guide? The user guide was fairly helpful in spite of a couple of images that did not fit the description.

Gary

John7

Re: New user - a couple of basic questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:44 pm »
Hi
Yes select all the images you what to edit at the same time. But local adjustments are not reliable for this ( spot weighted just needs moving image by image if need be). The other way is to copy and past corrections, I find  local adjustment less reliable when using brushes/small areas.

Yes you need to download each needed profile, either via an image using them or from the  DXO modules menu. You can select  all lenses you use with each camera.

No I'v never heard of any book on the DxO programs, its a pity
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:44:49 pm by John7 »

gstepic

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:06:26 pm »
Thanks! I shoot some basketball and other sporting events for UNM and being able to select all my higher rated images, then applying some noise reduction or sharpening, maybe color balance changes, is very handy. I liked ACR for this reason.

In addition it appears I can create my own preset and apply to all the selected images at once. Not applying localized adjustments makes a lot of sense, this would be done on a photo to photo basis after any adjustments made on all the files at the same time.

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07:05 pm »
Hello gstepic,

yes, DXO works well with large throughputs like wedding photographers. If DXO detects a new camera lens combination it will automatically propose to download the correct profile. You do not have to look by yourself to look for new lenses/cameras per picture.

Yes, you can create your own presets and use them in whatever way you like to.

Best

Sigi

photography