Author Topic: DxO freezing up with 27000 images  (Read 499 times)

lumithecat

DxO freezing up with 27000 images
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to do batch processing with DxO Optics Pro for a large number of images( 20-30k images). As soon as I hit change any setting or even hit export, the whole program freezes for a few minutes. It's impossible to work with, and even applying presets is very difficult. 

I have turned off the .dop files already.

Is there anything else I can do to make it work better? I dont think DxO supports any kind of command line mode.

My PC:
Intel Ivy Bridge 6 core/12 threads @4.3Ghz
52GB ram.
All running on fast solid state drives

Thanks

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: DxO freezing up with 27000 images
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:17 am »
Hello,

Well, the number of images is large enough and I do not think you can make it faster except for dividing them into smaller groups.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Bencsi

Re: DxO freezing up with 27000 images
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »
Hi lumithecat,

Some info about why your machine is freezing. Anyhow, the solution is what Svetlana proposed: divide your images to smaller folder, than 2000 images. Why ?

1. When PhotoLab start, it first register all files in the selected folder. In my practice with it takes 1-3 seconds depends on the file sizes, HDD reading speed, CPU core number, etc.. Your 27 000 files will be registered at least 27 000 seconds = 7,5 hours. You can start your work after  only!!! During the first folder registration several details has to be recoded into the Database.
2. During the editing PL take care only one file, no handicap the huge quantity.
3. When you select the files to make export, the first step for PL to add the Under processing logo to each of them - takes 0,1 sec each. The export process will start after this step finished only. I never export more than 100 files in a batch.
4. Same problem in case of batch Preset apply. The app will make them one by one and try to render all for thumbnail display. It is also a longer process takes 2-5 sec/image.

In my practice, the maximum folder content - regardless of RAW or JPG - can not exceed the 2500 images.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

photography
photography