Author Topic: Intensity slider  (Read 599 times)

Esayisay

Intensity slider
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:13:29 am »
Hi Folks

I've begun to look more in depth at the DXO Film Pack . I'm really impressed with the results that I'm getting.

I assume that the film types are based on the characteristic curve of the old silver halide films. This is probably a bit technical but how does the "intensity" slider relate to the films characteristic curve?

A film would be a film. I would have thought that it cant be a bit more "tmax" or a bit less "tmax" (or ilford , Agfa etc - whatever the film). Can anyone tell me what the intensity slider is doing in relation to the film type being rendered. Or is it just a creative athsetic tool?

Many thanks

Esay
I don't imagine that my work will be remembered but to have been thought about enough to be forgotten would be nice...

Pieloe

Re: Intensity slider
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:30:50 am »
If there is a scientific study of the effect, the realization is numerical.
So understand "the variable approach to a Tmax".

HalL

Re: Intensity slider
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
Good question, Esay. Just my opinion here. You'd need a Film Pack software developer to get a definitive answer. But I think one should maintain the Intensity slider at the default position to get an accurate representation of how the film would have printed the image. And as you suggest, play with the Intensity slider in Film Pack for additional creative effects (that might have been achieved by selecting a different film), or if you think a film might have done it a little differently, changing Intensity might help you realize your vision of it.

I don't doubt that DxO Labs did their best to digitally define the look of each film in FP. I came into SLR photography late in the film game and used only a few print and slide films enough to remember how they looked, and I think the Film Pack settings are a reasonably good approximation of those films. But there was enough variety in film and processing that those are just that, approximations of various looks.

I really think of Film Pack as a set of creative presets. Once in awhile I find a boring image that I might otherwise have deleted comes to life in Film Pack.

For me film is not really all that lamented. I kind of hit the digital road and never looked back, much as I did with music recording and reproduction. But I know others feel otherwise, and more power to 'em.

photography