Author Topic: Copy/Paste Correction Settings Should Exclude Leveling & Cropping  (Read 12434 times)

Keith_Reeder

Re: Copy/Paste Correction Settings Should Exclude Leveling & Cropping
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »
Are you sure, you will able to remember which parameter won't be copied during Shift+Ctrl+C ?

Don't know who else is talking about that, Endre - we simply want an option to include or exclude cropping/levelling from the copied parameters to be pasted: the dialogue-based approach used by Lightroom, Photo Ninja and Capture One, which I've illustrated above, would be ideal.

No keystrokes, no need to remember anything. And - trust me on this - they work just fine.

That'll be why they use this approach, and why I want it in Optics Pro
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:10:49 pm by Keith_Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

Bencsi

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »
In this case we are on the same side, Keith. The include or disclose of any tool from copying should be available through the regular tool on-off switch. It is visible, controllable and independent from it was selected individually or as a part of a group.

I understood - improperly -, some of us intend to kick out the Crop from copy settings alone.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

John7

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »
I have made the error of copying cropping/leveling before so would agree with having an option

lenmerkel

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 06:38:45 pm »
I commented on a get-around using custom presets in a related thread: http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,10070.0.html

However, I also strongly support this request as a more direct method. I can add to Keith's list of other products that implement this well. Corel's AfterShotPro2 provides a very comprehensive set of options in this regard, and works very well (in fact inherited from Bibble5, and improved).

It allows you to define various copy sets, and associate a hot-key (Img1).
You can select broad groups of adjustments to include in the copy set (Img2).
You can also drill down into an adjustment group (e.g. color management), and "tweak" individual adjustments to be included (Img3).

It can be done, and done well.

Keith_Reeder

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:51 pm »
I forgot about AfterShot Pro - really not a fan of that software - but yes, they've got a good implementation of the kind of selective functionality we're discussing.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

MikeA01730

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:00 am »
Hi,

I posted this suggestion 3 years ago for DOP and I still think it's a good idea for Photo Lab.  I'm still using the same circumvention and it still doesn't always work correctly.  Competitive products seem to think this is important enough to provide more flexibility.  Does anyone else think this feature should be enhanced?  The current implementation of copy/paste of is just about useless because leveling and cropping information is almost always image specific. 

Mike

Bencsi

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 10:49:54 am »
Hi Mike,

My opinion is a little bit different. Such argument should be applied to Eraser, Crop, Exposure, etc. To deny the tool effect actually need edit, is one or two clicks only. If more than 3 parameter is not applicable, simple do not use the copy function.
The actual User Preset system is perfect for selected parameter adjustments. To develop a temporary tool selection for copy-paste function should need 100 hours engineer hours.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

MikeA01730

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »
Endre,

I'm not sure I'm following you.  When you say "Such argument should be applied to Eraser, Crop, Exposure, etc." are you saying that not only should crop and level be not copied/pasted, but also other correction settings?  If so I agree that there may be times when that would be useful too (and in fact some products support this), but they're much less common.  Regarding crop and level these are settings that you would hardly EVER want to copy/paste with other corrections.  Do you disagree that copy/pasting them makes the feature (copy/paste corrections) effectively useless for users who use level and crop? 

Re software developer hours, I don't know where the 100 hours comes from.  it's really hard to believe that ignoring the level and crop corrections in copy/paste would take that amount of time.  That change would be enough to let anyone who uses leveling and cropping use this feature, and it's hard to believe that anyone would find this change less useful.  Of course if you wanted a much more complex solution (which I'm not suggesting) then the implementation would be greater. 

Regards,
Mike

Pieloe

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 10:04:47 am »
You can do it.
- Inhibits crop and level corrections on the original photo
- Ctrl Shift + C
- Restore the corrections to not forget it ;)
- Ctrl Shift + V on the destination images

You can also create a virtual copy to do this

Bencsi

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 01:16:34 pm »
Hi Mike,

As I started my comment, sorry I have a different point of view. However - fortunately - we are different. If you disagree my comment, it is natural for me.

By the way, what piloe proposed - it's a perfect solution.

Endre

Timedog

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:48 pm »
It should exclude every tool at the top of the screen. All of that stuff is not applicable photo to photo, including repair, geometry, local corrections, etc.

It seems like the logical flow of the program puts that kind of stuff at the top of the screen already as separate tools already, so simply excluding those things from being copied would make the most sense. For finer control simply give us an option in preferences for which of these tools we want to include when we copy.

A simple checklist would work, where the user can check off the tools they want to include with copy/paste (horizon, crop, repair, geometry, etc). But the default should have all of these tools unchecked.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to implement, and would make everyone happy.

muelli

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
For me as a stereoscopic photographer it's essentials to be able to copy the cropping and geometry settings from the left photo to the right  ;).

Best regards,
Christoph

photography