Author Topic: Moved on.  (Read 505 times)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Moved on.
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:25 am »
I have now made the decision and moved on from DxO. Main reason is that now I have a jumped the Canon ship and moved to Fujifilm X-T2 the film simulations within the camera are far superior to DxO's and Alien Skin provides me with anything/everything else I need at a very high standard. For example keywording which PhotoLab does not do. Having said that the appalling customer support and communications that DxO seem to think is acceptable makes, quite frankly, my decision a no brainer. PhotoLab is no longer installed on my computers and `I am only keeping ViewPoint for its perspective function.  Shame but DxO has in my opinion lost its way.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

ColinG

Re: Moved on.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:19 am »
Since taking up with PhotoLab I have been impressed with the software but very disappointed with customer service. It does not get better, not even during these troubled times when DxO's future is in the balance. The updated U Point tech is nice but what does U Point bring that colour range masking or luminosity masking does not do. I am on the brink of renewing my Adobe subscription and all that is holding me back is the upcoming update to ON1. LR and Topaz Studio will do everything and more I do not see any evidence to suggest that will change.

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:36:37 am »
 It seems for me, you are unsatisfied with DxO customer service. OK, it is not perfect.
However, we buy features in a package of software. Of course, there are more conditions need to be filled after purchase. Reliability, development speed, customer service quality, price for update, etc. As for me, these are necessary conditions, but not essential. I do not have perfect software. Do you have any ? The complains are natural. If anyone feel, the software unable to fill his/her need, quit. E.g. I quit from Vista OS, because it was unable to fill my need. On the other hand still use and like Win7. It is not perfect, but I can do a lot of task reliable.
I agree with Fuji camera owners, to quit. No support of the special sensor. Go to Adobe.

PhotoLab is not for everyone. It has a target customer range I call "medium professional". No support for PhaseOne, Hasselblad, Sinar and on the other side compact cameras from Casio, Nikon, Sony, most mobile phones. Those camera owners have to find another software. I belongs to the target customer range of DxO. Regardless I have also some complain, the image improvement job I can do  That is the point - for me. If anyone has another priority list ( e.g. the most important is the customer service ) it is natural. Do not need excuse or special explanation. We are different and have different sources of happiness.

Finally, good luck to join Adobe, OnOne or any other software supplier.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

ColinG

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:51:57 am »
There is a reason to explain and it is not for you to make the call. The reason is clearly that DxO are p*ing off customers due to their arrogance and lack of any meaningful communication. They need to know that.They are seemingly building their future on what is now, in my opinion, outdated software (Nik). I say seemingly as there has been nothing from the management to explain where the company is and where it is going, nothing since that last press release. That is a disgrace, especially as they are still trying to sell the products. So, Bencsi, irrespective of how good or bad the software maybe, the company ethics suck in my view and I hate that.

To be honest, not quite sure what your comment re perfect software has to do with any of this. Perhaps you are using that to justify the DxO way of doing things. But so long as you are happy.....

ColinG

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:38:36 pm »
I have now made the decision and moved on from DxO. Main reason is that now I have a jumped the Canon ship and moved to Fujifilm X-T2 the film simulations within the camera are far superior to DxO's and Alien Skin provides me with anything/everything else I need at a very high standard. For example keywording which PhotoLab does not do. Having said that the appalling customer support and communications that DxO seem to think is acceptable makes, quite frankly, my decision a no brainer. PhotoLab is no longer installed on my computers and `I am only keeping ViewPoint for its perspective function.  Shame but DxO has in my opinion lost its way.
Does Alien Skins provide decent masking nowadays? Last time I looked it was limited - no luminosity or colour range masking for a start. Also I seem to recall that correction for CA was missing.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:00:17 pm »
I am not sure the term "moved on" actually applies to me when it comes to Dxo and PhotoLab, but I did upgrade my CaptureOne license to the new version and I have been using it instead of PhotoLab. The new release of PL did seem to indicate that they are still alive, but I have gotten tired of waiting for some news.

I did buy the ViewPoint upgrade since it was on sale, but I have been using that with CaptureOne and, yes, AlienSkin, and not with PL so perhaps I have also begun to move on. It is a shame because I have been using Dxo software since Optics Pro version 6 or 7, but enough is enough.

ColinG

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:01:49 pm »
One can only hope this sort of bad press will get back to the management of DxO.  I cannot see how that cannot be the case as they do look in on these forums I believe. If I am right and they do visit here it perhaps underlines our misgivings.

I think I am perhaps still in the half way house stage in that PL is still on my computer but I am  not using it and rather find the u point stuff over-hyped.

Incidentally, just heard from Alien Skins support and whilst colour range masking and luminosity masking is on their radar there are no guarantees that it will make the next release, whenever that might be. I do use Luminosity a lot so there is nothing there for me yet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:07:30 pm by ColinG »

KameraD

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 07:48:11 pm »
It ist I think all a matter of your needs. For me first OP and now PL are exact what I need.
I don't have time, I am doing this for hobby and with PL I get fast the results I need in a superb quality. So that is what should be the scale.
I also bought the DXO Nike collection though the Google version would be enough for my needs, just for to support this company.
I dont care about their communication in the sense of what comes next or what ever. The only thing I am interested in is if they do a good support which I can confirm for DXO.
I always get an answer on the next day and the team is very helpful.

For ages I also have experience in the Steinberg forum. So for me those post are very familiar. There is always someone announcing that he will give Cubase the pass and move to Logic or whatever, because they are unsatisfied about the features, the stability, the communication, what is not fixed a.s.o..
And for sure from the individual point of view, some of the grievances do match. But people should not take their own personal experience and their needs to generalize.

KD

ColinG

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 11:39:31 pm »
So it is ok for DxO to be in receivership, carry on selling products and not keep the user base or potential customers advised? I don't think so. As for support - yes DxO answer quickly enough but do not appear to take user comment on board. There is a bug when using the Mac magic mouse in that the sensitivity of the mouse causes the edit pallets to jump around. DxO know about this but see it as a problem with the hardware and not their software. Now I always thought that software was supposed to work with the hardware and especially hardware that has been around a reasonable length of time. Sorry but on the face of it a very inwards looking organisation but I am pleased it works for you.

If things change post the receivership issue than I will  be the first to applaud them and reconsider my stance on this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:12:50 am by ColinG »

crisscross

• Pbase Galleries
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 05:24:31 pm »
I think I have moved back rather than on, ie saw nothing in PL worth having that was not in DxO11

However as the DxO implementation of UPoint was so bad, I have revisited Nikon Capture NX2 where it was brilliant, at first out of interest and now changed workflow:

Correct in DxO11 as usual, then 'Export to application', if something like the eye area of a bird needs selective lightening, to CNX2, then, as the sharpening in DxO is fairly pathetic, transfer to GraphicConverter 9, where the Unsharp Mask is far, far better and Sharpen Luminance a useful polish.

That does mean going over to .tif earlier than is ideal, but outputting .tif at the exact size of the crop generates a very 'solid' file to finish work. CNX2 won't accept a modern .nef file, but I am glad I didn't bin it when I was about to, just happened to notice someone else with similar bird repertoire still using it effectively. For landscape work DxO makes far better use of modern .nef

Unless PL 1.2 is offered for free trial, I am not paying serious upgrade money to see if it has moved forward and re-instated the crop size read-out
Chris     Nikon 1 J5  MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 http://www.pbase.com/crisscross

photography