Author Topic: Warning: Testing Photolab makes your dop files unreadable for DxO OP!  (Read 607 times)

obetz

Hi All,

if any DxO OpticsPro user just wants to test Photolab, be warned:

Never visit a folder with images you might want to use with DxO OpticsPro later!

Just visiting/browsing a folder in the "Organize" mode (the "Source Browser") will re-write all dop files in this folder thus making them unusable with DxO OpticsPro.

So do not use the source browser of Photolab to make your test copies but use DxO11 or any other file manager. Then, be careful not to point the Photolab source browser to your valuable DxO OpticsPro data.

I fell into this trap and obviously I'm now forced to buy Photolab. Not exactly the way I want to be convinced.

Oliver

Bencsi

Hi Oliver,

The situation is not good, but there is a workaround. Photolab overwrite  the sidecar files to the PL version - without warning. Fortunately, you can generate  it again in any of previous version of DoP, if there is no .dop file in the folder. Rename or delete the actual .dop files in the folder, open it again in e.g. v11 and allow the sidecar generation among the Preferences. Than selact all images in the Filmstrip and change a parameter, which is surely not changed before  ( e.g. Dead pixel correction in Noise reduction ). When you leave the folder, all sidecar files will be regenerated again, based on the Database content in v11.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

obetz

Bencsi,

your method works only if the DxO 11 database still knows the image.

But due to another DxO error, I need to clear the database regularly, see http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,11994

What a pity that so many long known problems don't get fixed in DxO.

Oliver

Bencsi

Hi obetz,

The deletion is the worst solution, rather rename the Database solve the Database problems. If no old Database available - no regeneration. Sorry.
As a last chance, if you made ever some Windows backup, the old Database files should be there.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

obetz

Hi Endre,

The deletion is the worst solution, rather rename the Database solve the Database problems

if you read the thread I mentioned, you may find that deleting the database is the only solution.

After all, I combined the 70EUR (instead of 90EUR) upgrade offer with the 50EUR "DIGICAM0518" discount and got the Photolab upgrade for 20EUR, so I don't care about it anymore.

Oliver

Bencsi

Hi Oliver,

The thread you linked talking about virtual copies and sidecars. It is true, one of the new PL user proposed the regular Database deletion. His experience probably not the best. Actually he had 5 posts only. The regular deletion anyhow is not recommended. PL can find the latest  Photolab.db file. Any change in the name, makes it unavailable. Without the Photolab.db existence, the software will generate a new empty one. If you just rename ( when PL is not running ) to Photolab.db__ it is enough to clear the history. Later, If you have to find some image set editing, the actual and renamed file Photolab extension change make available the old Database again.

Endre

obetz

Hi Bencsi,

deleting the database is just a workaround for a problem with Optics Pro / Photolab disability to handle external edits of dop files in a sensible way.

I do not like this workaround and I would prefer if DxO would fix the root cause (as I wrote in the thread).

Optics Pro / Photolab handling of dop files has several issues. One is that they got re-written just by browsing a folder (this thread). Another is the virtual copies problem described by "eolsen" in the linked thread. Another problem is that Optics Pro / Photolab mangles the files each time you change a bit. This kills the possibility to check for differences with a text compare utility.

Oliver

Bencsi

Hi Oliver,

I have to agree with all of your complains. The Database deletion is a last solution, rather rename is correct. If the Database change solve any problem, OK. If not, rename back.
The sidecar file are bonded to its original file too. If you are interested to compare them, make a virtual copy and the changes became visible in the text files.

Endre

photography