Author Topic: More aggressive sharpening than in DxO11?  (Read 1825 times)

obetz

More aggressive sharpening than in DxO11?
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »
Hi All,

did anyone else observe that images rendered by Photolab 1.2 have stronger sharpening than with DxO11?

Oliver

Pieloe

Re: More aggressive sharpening than in DxO11?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:37 am »
Of course yes.
Improved lens sharpness is a DPL innovation.
https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab/new-features

obetz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:48:13 am »
Of course yes.

Cite: "RAW images now include a significantly greater level of detail when shot with medium and higher sensitivity values without overly increasing noise".

Well, I checked an imge shot with a Canon 60D at ISO200 which I consider still "low sensitivity" and I now see artifacts / noise at edges.

I used a prime lens (Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD) not needing much "correction".

So I'm not completely convinced, and I would need to adjust my presets (reduce sharpening) if I switched to Photolab. That's especially important if I re-process images already handled in DxO 11.

mwsilvers

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »
Of course yes.

Cite: "RAW images now include a significantly greater level of detail when shot with medium and higher sensitivity values without overly increasing noise".

Well, I checked an imge shot with a Canon 60D at ISO200 which I consider still "low sensitivity" and I now see artifacts / noise at edges.

I used a prime lens (Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD) not needing much "correction".

So I'm not completely convinced, and I would need to adjust my presets (reduce sharpening) if I switched to Photolab. That's especially important if I re-process images already handled in DxO 11.

Are you referring to the Lens sharpness panel or the Unsharp mask panel?  Or, are you using both together? I don't see ANY significant artifacts as a result of  increasing the values of the Lens sharpness as long as you don't drag it close to its maximum value. And of course under normal circumstances the Lens sharpness and  Unsharp mask should not be used together. The only significant artifacts that I see are as a result of over using the Unsharp mask, especially along with Lens sharpness  settings.

Mark

katastrofa

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 10:27:28 pm »
BTW, I noticed that when exporting the images and downsampling them, sometimes the interpolation "bicubic" results in images which are too soft, and "bicubic sharpen" in ones which are over-sharpened. What a pity we can't adjust the amount of sharpening applied after downsampling!

obetz

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:10:33 am »

Are you referring to the Lens sharpness panel or the Unsharp mask panel?  Or, are you using both together? I don't see ANY significant artifacts as a result of  increasing the values of the
Only lens sharpness, global set to zero, bokeh and details 50 (the default setting).

Bencsi

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »
Hi katastrofa,

Your complain is true. However keep in mind the sharpening visibility based on the output resolution. A 7000x5000 pixel image sharpening will be far less effective, than a 700x500. Try it with both Bicubic and Bicubic sharpen. The choice is yours, which resample sharpening you choose. Fortunately, there is a chance to make different Export options for smaller and bigger resolution images.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

katastrofa

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 03:31:09 pm »
I have several Export profiles for this purpose, but sometimes without sharpening is too soft, and with sharpening is too sharp ;-)

Bencsi

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 05:09:53 pm »
Apply sharpening by another 3rd party application, if you are unsatisfied. There is a lot, even free.
The pixel number is same in the not sharpened and sharpened JPG. Any post production sharpening doesn't influence the picture quality significantly.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

mwsilvers

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:52:44 pm »

Are you referring to the Lens sharpness panel or the Unsharp mask panel?  Or, are you using both together? I don't see ANY significant artifacts as a result of  increasing the values of the
Only lens sharpness, global set to zero, bokeh and details 50 (the default setting).
What kind of artifacts are you seeing?  Halos? Something else? I am seeing none of that even when viewing at 400%. on my 28: 4K monitor.

Mark

katastrofa

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 09:05:17 pm »
Apply sharpening by another 3rd party application, if you are unsatisfied. There is a lot, even free.
I would prefer to avoid switching to 3rd party applications, to save time.

Bencsi

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »
Me too, however if there is no solution is good for me - that is the best solution.
I would be happy e.g. to use the clone stamp inside PL, but .... What can I do ? Use PS instead.

Endre

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:31:09 am »
Of course yes.

Hello,

Could you, please, create a Support ticket (https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) providing them with your test image + a sidecar and an output?
With all this info the team can investigate if it's really an issue.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

obetz

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »
Quote from: sgospodarenko
Could you, please, create a Support ticket (https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) providing them with your test image + a sidecar and an output?
With all this info the team can investigate if it's really an issue.

Thanks for the offer, Svetlana, but I think it's not worth the effort since the "Lens Sharpness" result is not "bad" but just different from the old Lens Softness.

I will watch carefully the results and tune my settings.

Oliver

nputtick

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:14 am »
Is it possible that this higher level of sharpening is affecting the noise? Or making Prime NR less effective?  See my newly started thread on Prime NR in PL.
Nigel

photography
photography