Author Topic: Photolab 1.2 issues  (Read 1657 times)

Herman

Photolab 1.2 issues
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:55 am »
Just installed version 1.2 of PhotoLab.

Two things that caught my immediate attention:

1. The External Selections mechanism seems to be broken.
I used to be able to select an image in my DAM (IMatch), then click the DxO shortcut in my DAM and the image opened in DxO. This is no longer the case, which breaks my workflow big time. Also drag-and-drop from DAM to DLP does not work anymore.

2. I expected the iPhone 8 to be supported in this release, which seems not to be the case. Support for this device has been discussed in another topic and was promised there by DxO staff.

Rolled back to 1.1.2 for the time being.

I am sorry for my tone, but when a new release breaks essential functionality and does not bring promised support for my phonecam I am disappointed.
Enjoy!

Herman.

John7

Re: Photolab 1.2 issues
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:27:30 am »
I am able to load image from Photo Supreme , but I find "full  view in progress" takes longer and then it opens with a magnified area before switching back to the full image. I was also hoping the display mask would be showing what was masked rather than the mask itself, hardly much use  or  my view might be effected m=by its not working, m or shift m doesn't appear to do any thing.

Asser

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »
I used to be able to select an image in my DAM (IMatch), then click the DxO shortcut in my DAM and the image opened in DxO. This is no longer the case, which breaks my workflow big time. Also drag-and-drop from DAM to DLP does not work anymore.

The external selection functionality should be adapted in a way, so that the "Customize" tab opens directly, for instant processing, when the tool is called with an external selection. But if the external selection functionality is gone completely and all files of a folder are displayed at once in the filmstrip, then this is a downgrade.

I was also hoping the display mask would be showing what was masked rather than the mask itself, hardly much use  or  my view might be effected m=by its not working, m or shift m doesn't appear to do any thing.

The shortkey shows a grayscale mask here. And this is especially useful for U-points.

1) Open a raw
2) Place a U-point
3) Press Shift+M once to activate the Grayscale mask
4) Drag the U-point around with the mouse. Note how the mask adapts.
5) When the mask is OK, press Shift+M again to deactivate the grayscale mask

Try also with negative U-points.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:12:24 pm by Asser »

John7

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:35:50 pm »
I am clearly not getting this, all I get is the area selected by, for example, auto mask. I am not getting the area auto mask is selecting which is the us-fill thing to see. I have tried M shift M before during and after and nothing other than the basic selection.!

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:58:11 pm »

The external selection functionality should be adapted in a way, so that the "Customize" tab opens directly, for instant processing, when the tool is called with an external selection. But if the external selection functionality is gone completely and all files of a folder are displayed at once in the filmstrip, then this is a downgrade.

It should work exactly like you described - PhotoLab opens with the Customize tab as a starting point. And it really works as it is. We didn't change anything about it. So Herman, could you please uninstall the application, clean your settings and try again?
If it's still an issue, please, report it to the Support.

I was also hoping the display mask would be showing what was masked rather than the mask itself, hardly much use  or  my view might be effected m=by its not working, m or shift m doesn't appear to do any thing.

The shortkey shows a grayscale mask here. And this is especially useful for U-points.

1) Open a raw
2) Place a U-point
3) Press Shift+M once to activate the Grayscale mask
4) Drag the U-point around with the mouse. Note how the mask adapts.
5) When the mask is OK, press Shift+M again to deactivate the grayscale mask

Try also with negative U-points.
[/quote]
I am clearly not getting this, all I get is the area selected by, for example, auto mask. I am not getting the area auto mask is selecting which is the us-fill thing to see. I have tried M shift M before during and after and nothing other than the basic selection.!

Well, the Mask was introduced for all the tools by clicking M or shift M and it works fine for all except for AutoMask. For now the mask is not equal to the correction applied and this part will be improved. For now this behavior is expected.

And finally about iPhone 8 support, it was announced that iPhone 8Plus and iPhoneX will be delivered with this release and they were. Apple iPhone 8 is in the queue.

Sorry for inconvenience.
Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Herman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:11:06 pm »
It should work exactly like you described - PhotoLab opens with the Customize tab as a starting point. And it really works as it is. We didn't change anything about it. So Herman, could you please uninstall the application, clean your settings and try again?

Thank you for your prompt response.

Awaiting your response, and having read John7's reply on being able to transfer an image to DPLfrom within another DAM, I uninstalled 1.1.2, zapped the DxO folders in %programdata% and %appdata%, re-booted the machine and installed 1.2.

Same result though, no drag-and-drop possible, no image opening via the DPL shortcut in my DAM.

Rolled back to 1.1.2 again so that I don't have to figure out an other workflow.

I will create a ticket with Support.
And wait another while for iPhone 8 support....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:15:09 pm by Herman »
Enjoy!

Herman.

Asser

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »

Thank you for your prompt response.

Awaiting your response, and having read John7's reply on being able to transfer an image to DPLfrom within another DAM, I uninstalled 1.1.2, zapped the DxO folders in %programdata% and %appdata%, re-booted the machine and installed 1.2.

Same result though, no drag-and-drop possible, no image opening via the DPL shortcut in my DAM.

Rolled back to 1.1.2 again so that I don't have to figure out an other workflow.

I will create a ticket with Support.
And wait another while for iPhone 8 support....

I have just installed IMatch, just for you Herman. :-)

Everything works fine with external selection, and the tool goes into "Customize" tab automatically. What made it not work in  the first place was, that the shortcut had the parameter -mode=openwith attached in its properties. After I have removed it, everything worked as expected. I can drag from desktop on the shortcut and it works. I also can drag on the icon in IMatch's favorites container and it works also. Maybe remove the icon in IMatch, ensure that the shortcut on the desktop/start menu has no parameters in its properties and create a new shortcut in the IMatch's favorites from it.

So, time to uninstall IMatch again. :-)

@Svetlana Could you check, whether the PhotoLab setup creates a -mode=openwith shortcut on the desktop? Because with it, it definitely does not work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:48:57 pm by Asser »

Herman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:07:15 pm »

I have just installed IMatch, just for you Herman. :-)

Everything works fine with external selection, and the tool goes into "Customize" tab automatically. What made it not work in  the first place was, that the shortcut had the parameter -mode=openwith attached in its properties. After I have removed it, everything worked as expected. I can drag from desktop on the shortcut and it works. I also can drag on the icon in IMatch's favorites container and it works also. Maybe remove the icon in IMatch, ensure that the shortcut on the desktop/start menu has no parameters in its properties and create a new shortcut in the IMatch's favorites from it.

So, time to uninstall IMatch again. :-)

@Svetlana Could you check, whether the PhotoLab setup creates a -mode=openwith shortcut on the desktop? Because with it, it definitely does not work.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

On my machine removing the -mode=openwith from the 1.2 desktop shortcut does not do any good, images selected in IMatch are still not opened by DPL, nor does drag-and-drop from IMatch to DPL open the images.

I checked the desktop shortcut for 1.1.2 before I installed 1.2, the 1.1.2 shortcut also had the -mode=openwith and it worked like a charm on my machine.

It baffles me that this change makes things work on your setup and not on mine... :o

I created a support ticket late this afternoon, I will just wait for their response.

In the meantime rolling back to 1.1.2 again just to have a working configuration.

Enjoy!

Herman.

Asser

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:04 pm »
Hm you could try, whether it works to drop a raw from desktop or windows explorer on the PL shortcut without IMatch, to check whether it has something to do with your IMatch setup.  Both cases work for me without -mode=openwith.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:41 am »
Hm...

I tried with different external applications XnView, FastStone ... but do not have the issue. I'm going to install iMatch but as far as I see for Asser it works fine. So without the logs and additional info it will be hard to dig into the problem.

So, it's great you created a ticket for the support team as there it's easy to share files and data.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Herman

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:46:51 am »
Hm you could try, whether it works to drop a raw from desktop or windows explorer on the PL shortcut without IMatch, to check whether it has something to do with your IMatch setup.  Both cases work for me without -mode=openwith.
First of all I am wondering if we are using the same Windows version.

FWIW, Winver tells me:
Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81)
Of course Win 10 X64
[edit] forgot to mention: Win 10 Pro [/edit]

As far as dragging and dropping is concerned:
In version 1.1.2, in Windows  File Explorer I select two images in a 10 image folder and drag-and-drop them to the DPL desktop icon.
DPL opens the folder, shows all images in that folder with the two selected images highlighted in the filmstrip.
Note that in this scenario I do not see the External Selection pane in DPL.
When I do the same from within IMatch I see only the two selected images opening in the External Selection pane.

I recall doing this yesterday with DPL 1.2 with the same result except that it does not open images sent from IMatch of course.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:49:05 am by Herman »
Enjoy!

Herman.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:44 am »
As far as dragging and dropping is concerned:
In version 1.1.2, in Windows  File Explorer I select two images in a 10 image folder and drag-and-drop them to the DPL desktop icon.
DPL opens the folder, shows all images in that folder with the two selected images highlighted in the filmstrip.
Note that in this scenario I do not see the External Selection pane in DPL.
When I do the same from within IMatch I see only the two selected images opening in the External Selection pane.

This is absolute the behavior we designed:
1 - When you drag the images situated in one folder from WE, the application just browse this folder for you and highlight the images you selected.
2 - When you drag the images from a third-party application, an external selection is created and only the selected images are displayed there.
3 - And finally you can have one more case: you drag and drop the images from different folders (for example from the Search list) from WE to PhotoLab -> in this case you will also have the external selection created with only selected images.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Herman

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
This is absolute the behavior we designed:
1 - When you drag the images situated in one folder from WE
[...]
3 - And finally you can have one more case: you drag and drop the images from different folders (for example from the Search list) from WE to PhotoLab -> in this case you will also have the external selection created with only selected images.
Thank you for this enlightening post.
I was not aware of this behavior, never had to use it because the interface with IMatch worked so nicely.

Now it becomes interesting though.
I tested the behavior you described under 3. with DPL 1.1.2.
It works as you described, and it also plays nicely with IMatch.

Next I did exactly the same test with DPL 1.2
It works as you described when I drag-and-drop in Windows File Explorer, but when I use IMatch DPL just opens in the Organize view, no files in the film strip.

Baffling, as the only thing changed between these tests is DPL, not IMatch.

Now I will just wait for some guidance from support.
Enjoy!

Herman.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 01:13:17 pm »
Yes, we will need more data from you (because I finally did the test with iMatch and it's ok on my machine same with Asser - which means we have a specific case on your machine) and this is not possible here. So support is the right place.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Herman

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
[...]- which means we have a specific case on your machine[...]

Thanks again for testing this.

Thinking about this issue it occurred to me that both of you (Svetlana and Asser) worked with a "fresh" installation of IMatch which was installed after DPL while on my machine it is the other way around.

So I decided to see what a repair-installation of IMatch would bring.

Prior to that I wanted to see if the issue was broader than with DPL alone, so I used IMatch to send images to other programs.

That worked flawlessly as always.

Next one final test from IMatch to DPL 1.2.0, prior to a repair-installation.

Guess what….. it worked this time.
I did not change a bit in the configuration of programs, just tested the interface between IMatch and two other external programs and then repeated my test with DPL 1.2

Sigh, I hate these issues.
Although self-healing programs may be the next big thing  ;)

Anyway, it works now, even survived a PC power-off and re-start, so I guess the ticket can be closed.
Unfortunately it is unlikely we will ever know what was causing this.....
Enjoy!

Herman.

photography
photography