Author Topic: Nik Suite  (Read 678 times)

stubbyd

Nik Suite
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:32:27 pm »
I've just had an email offering me an update to the "latest version" of the Nik Suite for just €49.99. However, I paid over $500 for this product originally so am loathe to pay out again - no matter how small (it isn't) the amount.

Surely as part of your purchase you also got the original purchasers list so that you could offer them an extra incentive -such as beta testing it and then getting a free license or a much reduced price to purchase or ..., etc

My point is ... as much as I like it, this is, in my eyes, just throwing good money after bad

What say you DxO ?

ColinG

Re: Nik Suite
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:31:43 pm »
Not sure I see why they should do as you suggest. Google bought the software, sold it to us punters for a bit and then consigned it to the software garbage can. DxO bought it from Google and have restarted development. It is quite right in my view that they should charge for new releases. If you have a gripe then it is with the previous owners of Nik and not DxO who are the White Knight here.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:22:43 pm by ColinG »

stubbyd

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:42:32 pm »
Well considering they are not actually offering me anything new in this release, from what I can see, as my version still works on my 64it computers (Mac and Windows) and with the latest versions of LR and PS CC then perhaps I phrased my initial post badly....

What am I getting for more money that I don't already have?

Secondly, where's the incentive, and here I don't just or only mean financial, for me to purchase the "same"** product? Which is essentially my first question rephrased.

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:19 pm »
Hi stubbyd,

I think the offer from DxO is targeted to new user maily. Your still working Nik product probably isn't in the DxO internal database. Probably they got your e-mail address, but not more.
What you get if you pay 50$ now ? You get the further support.  The original developer certainly will not able to help you with new OS or hardware standard changes. If you want to use your Nik product, it is your decision to pay for support or not.

I think you should wait till the first incompatibility of PS or LR release.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

ColinG

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:25:16 pm »
You also get 64 bit support which the old Nik is not. Apple and MS will update their OS eventually and remove 32 bit support - that will be the end of old Nik. There are rumours that Mac OS will update the end of this year and will remove support for 32 bit architecture.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:49:09 pm by ColinG »

photography
photography