Author Topic: New Nik by DXO software compatability  (Read 2161 times)

Esayisay

New Nik by DXO software compatability
« on: June 02, 2018, 03:53:26 am »
G'day folks,
Just read the leaked press release from DXO re the new release of the updated  Nik suite of software.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

The press release mentions compatability with Adobe products but no mention of Affinity.

Can anyone there at DXO confirm the Nik suite will play nicely with Affinity.

Please say "yes"  :)

Esay
I don't imagine that my work will be remembered but to have been thought about enough to be forgotten would be nice...

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Re: New Nik by DXO software compatability
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:42:54 am »
G'day folks,
Just read the leaked press release from DXO re the new release of the updated  Nik suite of software.

The press release mentions compatability with Adobe products but no mention of Affinity.

Esay
I never trust leaked press releases so am treating this with a bit of caution. Also if you get an answer from anyone at DxO you will be lucky, their customer support is virtually non-existent.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
Hi Esay,

Probably the Affinity compatibility is not a target. DxO - till now - prepare its application compatibility with Adobe PS & LR only. There is a workaround, send the Export file to a selected app ( like Affinity ) and it will hopefully open the image there. On the reverse side, the Affinity can export the image in TIFF, JPG format allow PL to open for further editing.
You can find more about
https://feedback.dxo.com/search?q=affinity

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Esayisay

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:50:23 am »
Thanks Endre, that's my current method so all should be good
I don't imagine that my work will be remembered but to have been thought about enough to be forgotten would be nice...

Fluffy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »
Is the NIK collection accessible from within Photolab?

sharpshooter

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 02:32:18 am »
+1
Is the 'new' NIK collection accessible from within Photolab?

roeslewf

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:15:14 am »
... and will it handle RAW files or just work on TIFF, JPEG,...?

Asser

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:46 am »
Photolab and NIK are two independent products. The only thing that they have in common are U-point ideas in PhotoLab carried over from Viveza. I doubt that the U-point implementation in PhotoLab even uses the same code, but I may be wrong here.

NIK is more targeted at the PhotoShop/Lightroom users and JPEG shooters, which often do not own PhotoLab.

PhotoLab is targeted at the workflow oriented people and RAW shooters, which want to get the maximum of their RAWs or do not like Adobe.

Because the NIK release was a plain refactoring/bugfixing/compatibility release, it has the same capabilities as before. The only tool in NIK that had something to do with RAW was/is the RAW Sharpener, but I do not know, which RAW formats were/are supported because they are a moving target.

The NIK collection, or better the executables of the NIK collection are "accessible" via "Export to Application" in PhotoLab, which mimics the "Edit In" functionality from Lightroom. There is no further integration of NIK functionality in the sense of Filmpack or Viewpoint in PhotoLab.

PhotoLab has been extended by a grayscale mask, which is like the one in viveza, which allows placing U-points more exactly. This mask can be accessed via Shift+M in local adjustments. Further the local adjustments equalizer has been extended by groups, which help to declutter the screen, because further sliders have been added fur hue/shadows/highlights/mids/blacks.

I think, in some months DxO will release some features for the 2018 release of NIK, so that all people saying "I did not have any bugs and there are no new features" have a reason to pay for the update. This could include further sliders for viveza for example, as this has been done in PhotoLab. This is speculation, but would make really sense, from the commercial point of view.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:12:45 am by Asser »

Fluffy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 03:47:41 pm »
Is the NIK software compatible with TIFF files in Lightroom?

Bencsi

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:58 pm »
Nik is plugin in Adobe products. It means, the file handling is independent from the plugins. If the file has been opened, the plug-in will handle. E.g. if you try to open an incompatible 3D RAW file, LR will refuse, Nik will not able to see what to do.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:01 am »
G'day folks,

Esay

Hello,

Unfortunately, I can't say "Yes". But we have it for future.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

HalL

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 11:29:43 pm »
+1
Is the 'new' NIK collection accessible from within Photolab?

No, it is not. As Asser said, PL and NIK are independent.

DxO NIK is positioned only as a set of plug-ins for current versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements (one plugin, HDR Efex, does not work with PSE) within current versions of iOS and 64-bit Windows.

DxO NIK does not work as a plug-in for any other DxO software at this time, and does not function standalone. Unless you want to use the NIK plugins in LR, PS, or PSE, it wouldn't be helpful. But wait, you may still want it to use with LR, PS, or PSE, even if you have DxO Photo Suite or PhotoLab.

There were lots of pre-DxO NIK users, but I had never tried it. And testing DxO's free 30-day trial, I kept thinking, everything NIK can do, those of us like me who have LR and the DxO Photo Suite can already do without this additional software. And to an extent, that's true.

For me, with no background in NIK, DxO didn't make it easy to see why I would want to buy the NIK tools. I was just about to give up and delete my trial download when I happened to hit on one quick adjustment in NIK with one particular photo that I really liked. And at that point I started looking around for more guidance on using NIK to see if I should get it.

If you try NIK with no previous experience, I recommend starting a NIK plugin in LR, PS, or PSE. (In LR you can do this by right-clicking one image, then click Edit In and choose one of the plugins. Then click the HELP button in the lower left of the plugin  and choose Web Help. Then click Tools. Now you can see what the plugin can do in the way of global adjustments. But also keep in mind that NIK can apply many of those same effects in local adjustments to similarly-toned elements in specific area(s) of a photo, using Control Points.

Also on YouTube check out the instructional videos for NIK (these videos were made pre-DxO, but they still work the same) by Anthony Morganti. Here's the first one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcEmInTvGw
These videos, one for each plugin, demonstrate in easy-to-understand fashion the use of some of the global adjustments, presets, and Control Points to do local adjustment with the NIK plugin tools. There are things you can do that way that you can't do as quickly within DxO Photo Suite. Yes, play around enough with the sliders in LR, PL, FilmPack etc., and in many cases you can get similar results, but it's a question of time and convenience.

For US $50, I have found enough to justify the buy even with DxO Photo Suite and LR.   

Pieloe

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 09:37:35 am »
Meanwhile you can use Nik in DxO environnement with the command "Export to"
But you must use a TIFF interface file   :(
http://help-photolab.dxo.com/en/export-to-application

basavaraj

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:50 pm »
Is the NIK collection accessible from within Photolab?
Accessible through Export to App. We can use all seven Nik collections. I don't know whether the corrections are equivalent to 'Local adjustments' in Dxo photolab

HalL

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 10:13:32 pm »
Remember that NIK wasn't written originally or modified by DxO to work with RAW images, so unlike PhotoLab, NIK can't use RAW. TIFF is the best-quality image file NIK can work with. TIFF can be better than JPG but is not as good as RAW. If you shoot in TIFF or JPG, you won't sacrifice image quality using NIK.

But if you have an image file you originally shot in RAW, want to edit it with NIK, and are going to use NIK's "Export to app" command to send a NIK-edited image into PhotoLab, it will go into PL as a TIFF file. For best results, you want to edit the RAW image first in PhotoLab, particularly making adjustments like Noise Reduction or any adjustments you want to make to Color Temperature that are best handled with RAW files. Then export the file to LR as TIFF and bring it into NIK. Then Export back to PhotoLab if you want. It's kind of kludgy.

Another consideration. If you want to use more than one NIK tool with an image from LR, you can do it, but each time you use a different NIK tool, you're going to create another version of that image file in LR--you export the image to one particular NIK tool you choose. Unless you go to the trouble of renaming each NIK-edited image to indicate which tool(s) were used, you won't remember which is which looking at them in LR. It can get confusing. I personally wouldn't use five or six NIK tools on a particular image for just this reason. I might use two. Using NIK tools to edit an image is not a one-stop solution like making a series of local adjustments in PhotoLab.

Local adjustments in PhotoLab work similarly to using NIK tools, particularly in the use of Control Points, but there are differences too. NIK gives you more creative control, particularly if you are trying for unusual image effects, as you can see if you watch videos on the use of NIK tools.

photography
photography