Author Topic: Keywording  (Read 1144 times)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Keywording
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:59:05 am »
I use PhotoLab as a stand alone application and I would like to add keywords to images, is this possible?
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Nick_

Re: Keywording
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »
Not that I know of. It sure would be excellent if DPL was fully EXIF and IPTC compliant with some DAM features.
I use Adobe Bridge. I has no correction feature. It's just a DAM. It's excellent and it's free. Of course it doesn't display DPL corrections.
Nick

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:00:09 pm »
Media Pro will display DPL corrections - which is very useful

ColinG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »
Media Pro is a lot more than free though :-)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »
Media Pro is a lot more than free though :-)
Spot on! It just irritates me that to get the complete package with DxO you need to have another app to do the keywording!
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

ColinG

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
I do not think PhotoLab aspires to being a DAM, although I agree keywording would be helpful. As I see it PL will never be a LR or a Bridge - it will always be basically a plugin that also works stand alone. That said, given the reorg that is going on I guess we could all be surprised :-)

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:07:33 am »
It just irritates me that to get the complete package with DxO you need to have another app to do the keywording!
I have been requesting metadata management features since the beginning. It’s silly not implement them for several reasons:
  • Metadata are just text and therefore very easy to implement in a program. It wouldn’t need many man/hours to create at least a basic DAM feature. Instead DxO developed and marketed the DxO One which has been a total waste of resources.
  • It’s a consistent request from current users. Moreover people who are fleeing Adobe’s new subscription policy and are shopping for a replacement of LR expect to find this kind a basic feature in their new program. If DxO doesn’t offer it to them they’ll buy something else and sales will be missed.
Therefore DxO has no excuse.
Do you listen to me DxO? You are playing with your future. You are currently in receivership because of strategic mistakes, it’s time to do the right things.
Nick

ColinG

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 09:29:33 am »
I am not in favour of an all in one solution. It ties one to a specific software. PL works well enough with LR (LR in free mode even) and Bridge, I am personally happy with that.  That said I can understand why some would like more functionality in that area.

Priscilla Turner

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 11:10:13 am »
Do you listen to me DxO? You are playing with your future. You are currently in receivership because of strategic mistakes, it’s time to do the right things.
Nick

Myself I cannot claim to know that.

photography
photography