Author Topic: Well, that is a positive sign  (Read 4993 times)

MikeFromMesa

Re: Well, that is a positive sign
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »
In my researching alternatives I am increasingly liking Alien Skin's Exposure X3 especially as I have found that one of my "must have's": Perspective Correction, (which Exposure 3 does not have) is expertly  accomplished by opening DxO's ViewPoint 3 which I have.
As have I.

I used their trial for the 30 days, and it expired yesterday. I thought about buying it but the cost, at $150 for the app and $200 for the bundle, just seemed really excessive for what is still a relatively immature tool and is still lacking a lot of functionality. Even with the 12% discount it seemed too expensive for what it offers. I like it, but it is too expensive for me for what it currently offers. I thought there might have been a Memorial Day sale in the US, but no such luck.

I sent an email to AlienSkin support asking if they ever had sales and they responded that yes, they did, and I suppose I will wait for a sale. Even if PhotoLab goes away I will still have the current version to use until Exposure X3 is more reasonably priced.

With every discovery PhotoLab is becoming easier to give up!
A good tool would make that decision easier, if still regrettable.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 04:34:43 pm »
[quote author=MikeFromMesa link=topic=13927.msg71579#msg71579
I sent an email to AlienSkin support asking if they ever had sales and they responded that yes, they did, and I suppose I will wait for a sale. Even if PhotoLab goes away I will still have the current version to use until Exposure X3 is more reasonably priced.[/quote]

The just now fro their UK site, don't know what it is in USA, 30% off:
https://store.alienskin.com/?utm_source=Alien+Skin+News&utm_campaign=78f18845af-25th-anniversary-sale-announcement-customers&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_01bac30e28-78f18845af-945697&goal=0_01bac30e28-78f18845af-945697&mc_cid=78f18845af&mc_eid=4a633b8bca
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

ColinG

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 04:39:12 pm »
I am beginning to default back to ON1 and with the update due next month it could jump from a possible to a definite. Alien Skins does not cut it for me - I dislike the raw engine and there is as has been said much functionality missing. I am beginning to despair of DxO insofar as their communication skills are non- existent. To be honest even when I have been to Support in the past I sensed a sort of arrogance in their response; there was no suggestion that they wanted to get involved in a dialogue or consider any changes.

If ON1 does not make the cut then I am off back to Adobe; LR with something like Topaz Studio as a plugin will do pretty much anything. I am getting fed-up with searching for a viable Adobe alternative that quite possibly does not exist.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »
To be honest even when I have been to Support in the past I sensed a sort of arrogance in their response; there was no suggestion that they wanted to get involved in a dialogue or consider any changes.
This has been my main complaint about Dxo. They are just not willing to listen to suggestions and their main response to my bug reports/suggestions has been (paraphrasing) "Don't to that".

I am still waiting to see what happens with them but I just received an email from CaptureOne offering a 40% off sale for upgrades. I stopped upgrading a couple of years ago because of the cost and due to how much I liked using PhotoLab, but given the current situation I think I will accept and be prepared to return to CaptureOne if bad things happen to Dxo.

I am getting fed-up with searching for a viable Adobe alternative that quite possibly does not exist.
Have you taken a look at CaptureOne? I am not one of their "fanboys" as my stopping the upgrade process should indicate, but they do have a decent product with an excellent raw engine. There are several things I do not like about their workflow tool, including the need to import images, but they do offer quite a bit of useful functionality:

1) Good raw engine,
2) Layers,
3) Decent distortion correction,
4) The ability to "round-trip" images to external editors,
5) A truly excellent color editor (much better than the stuff Dxo offered, before they removed the tool from PhotoLab).
6) A 30 day trial.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »
The just now fro their UK site, don't know what it is in USA, 30% off:
https://store.alienskin.com/?utm_source=Alien+Skin+News&utm_campaign=78f18845af-25th-anniversary-sale-announcement-customers&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_01bac30e28-78f18845af-945697&goal=0_01bac30e28-78f18845af-945697&mc_cid=78f18845af&mc_eid=4a633b8bca
Yes. I just received the same offer in my email. This is ironic because I also just received a 40% off offer from PhaseOne for their CaptureOne software upgrades. I now have two offers.

I like what I think AlienSkin will become when it is fleshed out, and I like their customer service, which is very responsive. On the other hand I know that CaptureOne is an excellent product, although over-kill for my needs, and 40% off the upgrade (my current version is 2 years old and no longer works because I upgraded my OS to High Sierra) is a great bargain.

So I went from no sales to two sales on the same day, and now I have to decide which I will buy; the one I know works well or the one I think will be excellent in year or two.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 05:38:36 pm »
You know what bothers me a lot about this and other discussions in a similar vein over the last few weeks is that the guys from DxO have not responded at all! I would have thought that seeing so much discontent on their discussion board would have prompted them to at least get involved in the discussion to reassure folk or even limit the damage as far as possible. It is almost as though they really do not care what sales they lose or how many existing customers go elsewhere. Such apathy speaks volumes and sends a hard to ignore message that even they do not believe in a recovery.

ColinG

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:51 pm »
Exactly Allsop, they do not deserve to have customers, it is like they are doing this for themselves. MikeFromMesa, I do like Capture One but have discounted it as an alternative due the horrendous price. Even the subscription is very very toppy cash wise and I am only a hobbyist. I can certainly match DxO output with LR and indeed ON1 so maybe this is the end of the road DxO-wise anyway.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 08:01:34 pm »
You know what bothers me a lot about this and other discussions in a similar vein over the last few weeks is that the guys from DxO have not responded at all! I would have thought that seeing so much discontent on their discussion board would have prompted them to at least get involved in the discussion to reassure folk or even limit the damage as far as possible. It is almost as though they really do not care what sales they lose or how many existing customers go elsewhere. Such apathy speaks volumes and sends a hard to ignore message that even they do not believe in a recovery.
There are several things that we, as individual customers, do not know.

What percent of their customers, in terms of income, are businesses rather than hobbyists as most of those on this forum are?

Is Dxo treating their business customers the same as their consumer customers?

Is Dxo's current response limited by French law?

Is the consumer software side of their business even profitable? Or do they make their real money from commercial customers and from those involved in rating lenses and cameras?

Do they have any support people left? Or has there been an exodus toward other companies?

As a general rule I expect Dxo support to treat me like I am one of those who are keeping them in business, but perhaps that is not really the case. I just do not know.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 08:09:14 pm »
As far as I am concerned a customer is a customer, it does not make any difference to the level of support that they should receive. It also makes good commercial sense to strive to give top notch customer support, to do otherwise is folly.

ColinG

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 11:54:04 pm »
As far as I am concerned a customer is a customer, it does not make any difference to the level of support that they should receive. It also makes good commercial sense to strive to give top notch customer support, to do otherwise is folly.

Agreed. They take the money and therefore are obliged to provide the service. Incidentally have you seen the leaked press release on FB?  https://photorumors.com/2018/05/31/nik-collection-2018-by-dxo-press-release-leaked-online/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:57:28 pm by ColinG »

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 06:21:26 am »

Agreed. They take the money and therefore are obliged to provide the service. Incidentally have you seen the leaked press release on FB?  https://photorumors.com/2018/05/31/nik-collection-2018-by-dxo-press-release-leaked-online/
Seen the leaked report but until support is greatly improved and we get some decent information regarding DxO's future I remain sceptical. Support is paramount in today's information technology world, without it no company can expect customer loyalty. 

pavelzet

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 12:16:08 pm »

Thank you for the link - renews my faith ;-)
Maybe it is irrcajonic - but I believe that DxO will continue to support us. This soft is too good to disappear. There is no special alternative. Lightroom - subscription or Capture One with too high price as for an amateur. Others - I tested: ON1, Luminar, Picktorial - thank you, but that's not it yet.

Keith_Reeder

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »
: ON1, Luminar, Picktorial - thank you, but that's not it yet.

ACDSee Photo Editor 10 is a far more capable Raw converter/image editor than PhotoLab - image quality is far superior, it has selective editing, layers, and PhotoShop plug-in compatibility, and it handles highlights infinitely better than the dismal DxO approach; and Photo Ninja's high ISO capabilities are an order of magnitude better than PRIME - and work in a fraction of the glacial time that DxO's solution grinds along at.

And if you want the benefits of Photo Editor 10 and DAM capabilities - ACDSee Photo Studio Professional 2018 is excellent, and there's a Mac equivalent.

I've bought both ACDSee solutions in the last week, I'm so pleased with them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:48:26 pm by Keith_Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

ColinG

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 01:52:19 pm »
: ON1, Luminar, Picktorial - thank you, but that's not it yet.

ACDSee Photo Editor 10 is a far more capable Raw converter/image editor than PhotoLab - image quality is far superior, it has selective editing, layers, and PhotoShop plug-in compatibility, and it handles highlights infinitely better than the dismal DxO approach; and Photo Ninja's high ISO capabilities are an order of magnitude better than PRIME - and work in a fraction of the glacial time that DxO's solution grinds along at.

And if you want the benefits of Photo Editor 10 and DAM capabilities - ACDSee Photo Studio Professional 2018 is excellent, and there's a Mac equivalent.

I've bought both ACDSee solutions in the last week, I'm so pleased with them.

But not for Mac!

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 03:07:40 pm »
ACDSee Photo Editor 10 is a far more capable Raw converter/image editor than PhotoLab - image quality is far superior, it has selective editing, layers, and PhotoShop plug-in compatibility, and it handles highlights infinitely better than the dismal DxO approach;
True for the Windows version, definitely not true for the Mac version which is really a poor cousin. ACDSee has re-written the Mac version and it is better than it was before, but it still is far less capable than the Windows version.

and Photo Ninja's high ISO capabilities are an order of magnitude better than PRIME - and work in a fraction of the glacial time that DxO's solution grinds along at.
I used to use PhotoNinja, but it is not functionally equivalent to PhotoLab or CaptureOne or Lightroom. What it does, it does very well, but it does not do enough and there have not been many updates lately. I think the last update was perhaps a year ago?

photography
photography