Author Topic: Well, that is a positive sign  (Read 4994 times)

MikeFromMesa

Well, that is a positive sign
« on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:03 pm »
I just received an email offering PhotoLab at a special sale price. Now I already have the current version, but the fact that they are sending out sale notices seems to me to be a positive sign about PhotoLab's future. As is the continued operation of this forum.

UPDATE:

I was so interested in the fact that Dxo was offering a sale on PhotoLab, both Essentials and Elite, that I failed to notice something a bit odd about the offer.

First, the add says that Father's Day is only 48 hours away. In the US, the UK and Canada Fathers day is in June and today is May 25. Second, the sale price is given in $, but the separator between the whole and part values is a comma, not a dot. So that leaves me puzzled. What country uses "$" sign for currency, uses a "," to separate dollars and cents (or whatever names they would be) and has Father's Day in May?

The prices listed for the sale do correspond to the prices in the Dxo store, so I assume this is a valid email.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:39:01 pm by MikeFromMesa »

embe71

Re: Well, that is a positive sign
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:29:43 am »
DxO is a French company.
Also I don't see how this can only be interpreted as a good sign. It also could be that this all belongs to a plan to cover as much debts as possible by advertising and selling the last (nearly finished) update before finally shutting down the company if no investor is found…
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:32:05 am by embe71 »

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:43:47 pm »
That is a fair comment. I wonder what the laws are in France re trading when in receivership?

I just hope it is a good sign and that the restructuring is going or has gone well. What I do not like is the silence and if they are selling whilst the future is still doubtful I feel a health warning should be included on all advertising.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »
That is a fair comment. I wonder what the laws are in France re trading when in receivership?
Yes, it is a fair comment.

Of course I do not know, but it never occurred to me when I read the email that they might be trying to sell the software while their future was still in doubt. I assumed them to be operating ethically and took it to be a positive sign. I would like to believe that it is a positive sign ...

What I do not like is the silence and if they are selling whilst the future is still doubtful I feel a health warning should be included on all advertising.

One of the original reports said that the process would be only a few weeks and, since this all started back several months ago, I have been checking about every 2nd or 3rd day for news on Dxo's financial condition, but found nothing except the original reports. I do not like that either and wonder why they are not keeping people informed. Perhaps there is some restriction on what they can say, given French bankruptcy laws, but I do not know one way or the other.

It would be nice to have some idea what is happening.

ColinG

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
Agreed. If there is a restriction on what they can say I would have thought there would also be a restriction on what they could do and/or imply.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:30 pm »
Agreed. If there is a restriction on what they can say I would have thought there would also be a restriction on what they could do and/or imply.
Perhaps the thing to do is to send a question to their support email address asking when they expect to know something. I think I will do that today.

I usually did not get a response to other support emails, so perhaps this is the triumph of hope over experience, but I will see what happens.

ColinG

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:12 pm »
Good luck :-)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 06:23:13 am »
I guess most users like me are hoping that all will be well and the company will come out of this stronger and better attuned to our needs, we can only trust that this will be the case! For myself some of the features that DxO offer are really exceptional but the lack of some others, (e.g. support for more cameras/lenses—I have been waiting for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ90 support for a while now, DAM especially keywording) are not so good. It is impossible to use DxO as a sole solution when processing and there is a powerful argument for not tying into one app anyway, so I am going to go on using DxO for now but prepare to use another app as an insurance policy.
Of course I do not know, but it never occurred to me when I read the email that they might be trying to sell the software while their future was still in doubt. I assumed them to be operating ethically and took it to be a positive sign. I would like to believe that it is a positive sign
I must say that like Mike it did not occur to me that they might be selling off stuff before closing...worrying.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

ColinG

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:41:52 am »
Must admit I have been very disappointed by DxO's relationship/communicaton with its customer base and that is making me look for alternatives. ON1 is coming on a treat now and come the next update it could well be where I need it to be. Failing that I will renew my Adobe subscription - that and something like Topaz covers all  bases really. So for me DxO surviving might not be enough in itself - the company needs to change its approach.

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 11:40:51 am »
In a situation like this you are allowed to communicate freely - it is actually very limited. Even if you want to be more open as a company, it is forbidden because of legal reasons.

ColinG

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:51:55 pm »
Sigi - they have never communicated freely. And so far as the present situation is concerned I do not believe they can use the silence to market stuff that might not have a future. I am not saying they are doing this I am just saying that they have to be honest about the position and not use whatever the rules are to aid their selling.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:05:04 pm »
Sigi - they have never communicated freely. And so far as the present situation is concerned I do not believe they can use the silence to market stuff that might not have a future. I am not saying they are doing this I am just saying that they have to be honest about the position and not use whatever the rules are to aid their selling.
And in response to that comment -

I sent a support request asking when we might know something. I made it clear I was not asking about their future, but asking about when we might know something. Their response (which I was not even sure I would get) might as well have been a copy of their March press release. Here it is:

In fact, the company has recently been placed under a regime of judicial administration, the time to reorganize financially.

Although we cannot comment on this situation, we can nevertheless assure you that the company is absolutely not in liquidation and that we are confident that our customers will not be affected in any way by this measure.

As you can see there was no information about a timeline. Perhaps they are restricted by French bankruptcy law; I would not know about that. They also provided a link to a formal release:

The information provided on this page is still relevant ( https://www.dxo.com/us/about/news ) .

So this is nothing new and I know no more now than I did before I sent the email except, perhaps, that it does not do any good to ask. As with @Allsop I am looking into alternatives, although they are few since I do not like Lightroom and CaptureOne, as good as it is, seems like over-kill for me.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
So for me DxO surviving might not be enough in itself - the company needs to change its approach.
I completely agree with that statement. As good as the software is I have been disappointed at their reluctance to accept user input and their disregard for user communications. I suppose I will stay with them if they come out of this "alive", but I have been looking at alternatives.

I gave up on Adobe a long time ago, and I do not like Lightroom, but I do not see very many alternatives.

Nick_

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »
So for me DxO surviving might not be enough in itself - the company needs to change its approach.
I completely agree with that statement. As good as the software is I have been disappointed at their reluctance to accept user input and their disregard for user communications. I suppose I will stay with them if they come out of this "alive", but I have been looking at alternatives.

I gave up on Adobe a long time ago, and I do not like Lightroom, but I do not see very many alternatives.
Same here.
Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:00:25 pm »

Same here.
Nick
In my researching alternatives I am increasingly liking Alien Skin's Exposure X3 especially as I have found that one of my "must have's": Perspective Correction, (which Exposure 3 does not have) is expertly  accomplished by opening DxO's ViewPoint 3 which I have. With every discovery PhotoLab is becoming easier to give up!
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

photography