Author Topic: PhotoLab NIK interoperability  (Read 1917 times)

Asser

PhotoLab NIK interoperability
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:03:21 pm »
Hi Svetlana,

I have installed the NIK collection just for fun to see how PhotoLab could work with it. I have found the following bugs:

1) Select a directory which contains a raw file in PhotoLab (CR2 in my case)
2) Select the raw in the film strip
3) Export to application -> "Silver Effex Pro 2, Process as TIFF and export, 16-bit"
4) In Silver Effex press "Save"

=> Bug 1: The TIFF disappears from the film strip in PhotoLab
=> Bug 2: Selecting "Refresh" from the folder's context menu does not show the TIFF in the filmstrip again.

5) Select a different folder, and reselect the previous one

=> Bug 3: The TIFF is diplayed with the extension "tif_tmp2", while on disc it is only "tif"
=> Bug 4: While the input TIFF to Silver Efex had no missing optical module indication, the output TIFF has one. This is inconsistent behavior for me.

Maybe these bugs are fixed with the upcoming release, but here they are, in case if not.

Asser

Localization Website
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:20 am »
On dxo.com there is a strange localization for the filmpack headline:

DER SOFTWARE ZUR SIMULATION ANALOGER FILME LOOKS

sounds strange. It should be rather:

DIE SOFTWARE ZUR SIMULATION ANALOGER FILM LOOKS

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: PhotoLab NIK interoperability
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »
Hello Asser,

Thank you for the info. As I see you posted in the new Forum I'll reply about the progress there.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

bobkoure

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 06:16:55 pm »
Hi Svetlana,
There's a new forum somewhere? If it has anything to do with Nik integration, I'm quite interested. How do I find it?
Thanks!

ColinG

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:23:49 pm »
Hi Svetlana,
There's a new forum somewhere? If it has anything to do with Nik integration, I'm quite interested. How do I find it?
Thanks!

Likewise please :-)

Asser

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:38 pm »
feedback.dxo.com

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:16 am »
Hello,

Yep, there is a new Forum feedback.dxo.com (thank you Asser ;) ) and it also can be reached from the main page dxo.com - the link to the Forum is in the bottom of the page.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:06:50 am »
Thank you for this information!
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:19:28 am »
You are welcome.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

katastrofa

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:44 am »
How do I install NIK Collection to work with PhotoLab? I end up with the dialog "Compatible Host Applications" and cannot proceed further (the list of applications is empty even though I have PhotoLab installed). Do I need Photoshop or Lightroom as well?

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:49:15 am »
How do I install NIK Collection to work with PhotoLab? I end up with the dialog "Compatible Host Applications" and cannot proceed further (the list of applications is empty even though I have PhotoLab installed). Do I need Photoshop or Lightroom as well?

Yep, you need at least Lightroom to have installation completed. Right now there is no direct connection between PhotoLab and Nik and no one announced its existence. In PL we have some features (like Control points) similar to Nik but it's impossible to use Nik plugins inside PL like you can do it in Photoshop or Lightroom for example.
To make it compatible with PL needs time and hard work and we have just bought Nik.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

katastrofa

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:58 am »
I see, thanks. This thread suggested to me that it's different.

mwsilvers

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 06:46:45 am »

Yep, you need at least Lightroom to have installation completed. Right now there is no direct connection between PhotoLab and Nik and no one announced its existence. In PL we have some features (like Control points) similar to Nik but it's impossible to use Nik plugins inside PL like you can do it in Photoshop or Lightroom for example.
To make it compatible with PL needs time and hard work and we have just bought Nik.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment. I no longer use Lightroom but if I recall correctly the NIK plugin sent your edited file to the NIK program you selected, where all the additional editing was performed, and when saved it returned the edited image to Lightroom as a jpeg file.

I do the same thing in Photolab Elite.  I  run the Export to Application feature and  browse to the NIK folder and select a program executable like the Silver Efex Pro2.exe.  I set  the Action as "Process as JPEG and Export". When exported Photolab  creates a jpeg version of the edited raw image and sends it to the NIK program I selected . In that program  I do all my additional editing.  When finished I select Save and the Nik program closes and returns to Photolab. If I then click on the JPEG image Photolab created on export, it changes to the version updated and saved in the Nik program.

Additionally, the Export to Application feature maintains a five item history from session to session. Since I only export to the NIK collection and as it turns out I only use 5 of their programs the list of everything I use is always there, like a plug-in.     

I've been doing this for a while now and from my perspective it worked exactly like it did in Lightroom. Am I missing something in your comment?     

Pieloe

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 08:40:35 am »

I've been doing this for a while now and from my perspective it worked exactly like it did in Lightroom. Am I missing something in your comment?   

I do the same for years.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:11 am »

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment. I no longer use Lightroom but if I recall correctly the NIK plugin sent your edited file to the NIK program you selected, where all the additional editing was performed, and when saved it returned the edited image to Lightroom as a jpeg file.

I do the same thing in Photolab Elite.  I  run the Export to Application feature and  browse to the NIK folder and select a program executable like the Silver Efex Pro2.exe.  I set  the Action as "Process as JPEG and Export". When exported Photolab  creates a jpeg version of the edited raw image and sends it to the NIK program I selected . In that program  I do all my additional editing.  When finished I select Save and the Nik program closes and returns to Photolab. If I then click on the JPEG image Photolab created on export, it changes to the version updated and saved in the Nik program.

Additionally, the Export to Application feature maintains a five item history from session to session. Since I only export to the NIK collection and as it turns out I only use 5 of their programs the list of everything I use is always there, like a plug-in.     

Hello,

Everything you wrote is correct, Nik collection can be used as any other third party application when Export to Application.

I meant that we do not have any built-in Nik plugin (like ViewPoint or FilmPack for instance).

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

photography