Author Topic: Receivership  (Read 10747 times)

ColinG

Re: Receivership
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:31 pm »
I dumped ON1 a couple of weeks ago. I received the latest ON1 Photo Raw free (won't go into details) but I got fed up with corrupt thumbnails and previews. The problem is still there with the new update so that has now been installed. I will not bother with ON1 again.

Like you I think DxO will survive and hopefully the relaunch of Nik will do the cash flow some good. As for long stops, well I have Affinity Photo as a PS substitute and I am getting fair mileage out of Picktorial so I am insured so to speak. Also maybe Luminar will come of age sometime, although I have no love for Skylum's ethics. There is also Silkypix (never looked at it) and Cyberlink PhotoDirector (not used that either).

Herman

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »
When you are using a Mac there is also Hasselblad Phocus.
Free, supporting a lot more than Hassies.
Wish I could use it on Windows as a raw converter, but raw conversion seems to be Mac territory only.
Enjoy!

Herman.

ColinG

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2018, 07:15:02 pm »
I seem to recall having tried that and for some reason it would not work. Might have wanted my Hasselblad camera serial or something. Might have a look again but as it is a product related to a specific camera make I cannot believe it will not lack something at some time.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2018, 07:33:53 pm »
There is also Silkypix (never looked at it) and Cyberlink PhotoDirector (not used that either).
I tried Siklypix some years ago and was not terribly impressed, but it has been some time since then. Perhaps it deserves another look.

What surprised me is that PhotoDirector has a Mac version. I had assumed, obviously incorrectly, that it was a Windows only product. I will take a look at it although I have been impressed with the functionality in ExposureX3. It is pretty expensive, perhaps too much so, but what I saw was very nice.

ColinG

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:36 pm »
Just could not get on with Exposure. Tried it three times but thought the raw engine was poor compared tis DxO et al. It is also expensive and it was lacking stuff - chromatic aberration comes to  mind. Yes PhotoDirector was always Windows only and an age ago I tried it and liked it but there was no compelling reason to change from LR. How things change :-)

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2018, 11:47:28 pm »
thought the raw engine was poor compared tis DxO et al.
Well, yes, but the Dxo raw engine is extraordinary. There are not many products that can compete with it.

X3 is, however, pretty expensive and I would much prefer to stick with PhotoLab, even if it (X3) were less expensive. I am more looking around for an alternative "just in case" than making any purchase decisions.

ColinG

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:01 am »
I know where you are coming from. I just played with Darktable again on a nef that has not been the easiest in any software - DxO has been the best at it by far. I was able to get pretty close to the DxO result in Darktable. The controls are, well, different but it is fast, stable, capable (imo) and free. I will invest more time in learning the interface. I just know it is capable of much more.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2018, 03:42:01 pm »
I know where you are coming from. I just played with Darktable again on a nef that has not been the easiest in any software - DxO has been the best at it by far. I was able to get pretty close to the DxO result in Darktable. The controls are, well, different but it is fast, stable, capable (imo) and free. I will invest more time in learning the interface. I just know it is capable of much more.
But unable to call any external editors, as far as I can tell.

Darktable seems like a nice, if somewhat challenging, tool, but if it can not call external editors it can not do some of the basic things I generally need when editing photos.

ColinG

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2018, 06:11:22 pm »
True no external editor capability. Strange everybody says the editing space is crowded but its not really, not if one wants functionality that matches LR, DxO etc. I have found nothing that comes that close really (maybe Darktable will in time). If DxO does go away then it looks like its back to LR Classic.

photography