Author Topic: DAM and organization with PL?  (Read 4849 times)

Asser

Re: DAM and organization with PL?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:35 pm »
You are not closed in, if:

1) You do not use Lightroom's Develop module. This way you do not depend on Adobe Camera Raw.
2) You do not use Lightrooms Collections, because they are Lightroom specific.

Hierarchies can be modeled with folders and hierarchical keywords, which are written into XMPs. XMPs are readable by other programs.

My catalog folder is structured by YEAR \ Month \ Day. This way I have a timeline I can navigate over.

The context hierarchy is build by using hierarchical keywords in form of:

Persons|Mia
Persons|Mike
Events|2017|Birthday_Mia

This way it is a nobrainer to switch to another DAM. The other DAM must only support hierarchical keywords and be able to understand the lr:hierarchicalSubject XMP tag.

ThinkVision

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 03:32:28 pm »
ah.... that sounds so good!

I really really appreciate your instructions - written so that I can understand them.  You have given me the confidence to give this a try!

Asser

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 03:47:36 pm »
Try it out with a test database. I have optimized my workflow around this, so that I do not really need the "Organize" tab in PhotoLab any longer. PhotoLab is now my "Develop" module replacement for Lightroom. My update costs are reduced to DxO updates and Affinity Photo updates, which are not introduced very often and are not that high compared to others.

ColinG

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 11:03:15 am »
Talking of updates, I wonder when the next bit of Nik reworking will take place. Sorry OT!

ColinG

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 11:41:35 am »
One of the OPs concerns with a stand alone DAM/file system was not seeing a thumbnail rendition of the edited raw as per in LR. Cannot see anyway around that, other than by using PhotoLab as a front end for browsing, unless of course a jpeg version is created at the end of the edit. The jpeg of course will only be a reference and will not act as a link back to the raw file.

Asser

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:14 pm »
The jpeg can be seen as indirect link. If you have a folder structure like:

- 2017-05
-- 2017-05-06
--- test.CR2 (from camera)
--- test.JPEG (from PL)
--- test.XMP (from LR)
--- test.CR2.DOP (from PL)

The difference between plain Lightroom and Lightroom + PL is:

1) In LR you browse over CR2, see the rendition on the CR2, select the CR2, start develop cycle. You do not need anything except the CR2 and the LR catalog, because XMP and JPEG can be created on demand. The drawback is, that it is easy to make wrong decissions, which bind you to LR.

vs

2) In LR you browse over JPEG, see the rendition on the JPEG, select the CR2 next to the JPEG, start the develop cycle with PL. The LR catalog and PL catalog have no importance. The relevant parts can be reconstructed from the files above. The advantage is, you have a clear exit strategy to Affinity DAM, Luminar DAM, PhotoLab DAM or whathever.

It is a feature of a DAM system to detect that the JPEG and CR2 build a pair and the JPEG should be used to preview the raw. Without a preview file only the raw engine owning software can build correct raw previews.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:53:19 pm by Asser »

Required

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 09:20:30 pm »
Photo Supreme is quite impressive as well as DAM.
Available in standalone as well as server versions based on MSSQL or PostgreSQL.

https://www.idimager.com

Nick_

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:33 am »

So, folks, let’s make some noise so that DxO staff hears their customers needs. Go to my feature suggestion My feature request #1: EXIF data - DxO Forum and support it or create your own.

DxO need to understand that they are certainly missing many sales because of the lack of full fledge DAM capability that’s offered in practically all other softs. This must be particularly the case with the folks leaving Adobe who expect finding the same environment as in LR.

Blow your whistles!

Nick

Andreas Yankopolus

• Personal home page
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:07 pm »
I've been using Photo Supreme with DxO for a couple years. The integration is good enough to be useful. After editing an image or images in DxO, you can tell Photo Supreme to refresh thumbnails and it will apply basic operations from DxO (rotating, cropping) when rendering the thumbnails. It also associates the .dop file with the source file and will move/delete both as needed.

The Photo Supreme developer is active on his support forum and very responsive to help requests.

Nick_

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 12:35:18 pm »
I've been using Photo Supreme with DxO for a couple years. The integration is good enough to be useful. After editing an image or images in DxO, you can tell Photo Supreme to refresh thumbnails and it will apply basic operations from DxO (rotating, cropping) when rendering the thumbnails. It also associates the .dop file with the source file and will move/delete both as needed.
Well… this is not good enough for me. It is not enough to make me switch.
Too bad DPL can't work as a plug in for Bridge or other DAMs.
Niick

Required

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:01 am »

The Photo Supreme developer is active on his support forum and very responsive to help requests.

And Photo Supreme just released their 4.1 the other day!
It's one heck of a DAM at a very competitive price.

photography
photography