Author Topic: Best way to print from DxO PL?  (Read 852 times)

bobkoure

Best way to print from DxO PL?
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
I'm exporting to Photoshop, then, from there, printing via Canon's Print Studio Pro (a PS plug-in from Canon). I imagine it's common to send to Lightroom, but I don't want to deal with LR's digital asset management system (have my own, TYVM).

I'm printing on a Canon Pro 100, so PrintStudioPro works quite well. I'm not printing in bulk, or from roll paper. Monitor is color profiled, but not ink or paper. I'm just using profiles from Canon or Red River (depending on the paper I'm using).

So... is there a better way? Qimage? Make PrintStudioPro work in PL? I understand how profiles work in PS, so maybe I should just leave well enough alone?
Thanks!

Rob Little

Re: Best way to print from DxO PL?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:27:15 am »
If you are a Canon shooter Print Studio also works from within DPP.  That's the way I do it.

Rob Little

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:47:52 am »
To expand on the above comment.  I do all my printing through Canon's Print Studio Pro.

Print Studio Pro can be loaded as a plugin to Canon's Digital Photo Professional - a free download.

My process is use DxO Photolab process the RAW file.  If I need to blend/stack images or need any other kind of pixel editing then export to TIF and edit in Affinity Photo.  Either way, to print export the final image to a TIF file that is optimised for the intended print size.  Pick the TIF up in   Canon's Print Studio Pro and print through PSP.

So, I only use DPP as a route to print.  No need for Photoshop or Lightroom.

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 02:47:08 pm »
Hi Rocket,

The color fidelity printing is a science.  If you want to make you unhappy, dig in.
Otherwise, the printer you use is a professional quality 16 bit printer. It should fill your needs certainly.

Briefly, the Camera -> PC -> Software -> Printer chain will modify your images all. If the output quality is fine for you, you do not need to change the workflow. One thing you have to keep in mind: the color Profile significantly change the image tonality. Usually the camera set to sRGB Profile and have to follow same during the whole process. Every save within workflow should change it - regardless you want to do it or not. If your camera color Profile set to Adobe RGB, keep and check this profile throughout the whole process.
The camera bit resolution normally is between 12-14 bit. After you put and save in an application it should be 8 bit JPG or 16 bit TIFF. Your printer has 16 bit resolution, therefore it is worth to use its capability ( the 98% of the printers have 8 bit resolution only ). It is true, the 16 bit printing takes a longer print process.
The rest is the paper color profile. Certainly, your Canon printer has Canon papers ICC Profiles built in. Just select the proper one.
This procedure is true for any printing application PL, PS, LR, Affinity,  PSP, etc.

If you want to make an ICC profile for an unknown paper ( e.g. self adhesive backsheet paper ) it is a complicate job, better to ask the paper manufacture for compatible paper color Profile.

One thing you have to know, the PDF output of PL auto color profile makes a dull printout. You can not modify it. Other formats sRGB and Adobe RGB are fine.

Endre

PS: Actually there is online course about - among others - printing practices.
https://www.creativelive.com/class/the-professional-photographers-digital-workflow-michael-clark?autoplay=true&via=upcoming-classes_4
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

bobkoure

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 06:35:29 pm »
Thanks!
I'll look at that link as soon as I'm home.
I've profiled my  (wide gamut) monitor, and have Photoshop set to apply paper/ink profiles (which I get from either Canon or RedRiver, depending on the paper). I was wondering if I could replicate that in PhotoLab, and if so how.(?)
I pass from PL to PS in AdobeRGB, leaving things as wide as I can as PS lets me see the effects of a color space change
Speaking of which, what is the PL working color space? I'd love it if one of the available adjustments was 'color space' so I could see if relative or perceptual was working better with a particular shot.

photography