Author Topic: Leica CL DNG's  (Read 659 times)

marclw

Leica CL DNG's
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:24:42 pm »
DXO PL has been a very important part of my workflow using my Old OMD EM-1's and my prior Canon bodies, such as the 1dMK3 and the 5Dmk2. Indeed, I have been using it to process my Leica T files. A few months ago, I purchased a Leica CL. Like the T, it generates DNG files. I thought that it the DNG's would be recognized because the T's files were. I was wrong. DXO PL fails to recognized the CL's DNG's. I'm a pro fotog, and this has really crimped my style, in particular my processing of high ISO files where I relied on DXO PL's PRIME denoising algorithm. Can you please tell me if and when you plan to support the CL's DNG files? I'd really appreciate that! The sooner the better would be good......
Thank you,
Marc Weinberg

Pieloe

Re: Leica CL DNG's
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »

marclw

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:23:44 am »
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the information doesn't help me whatsoever. I already KNOW that the Leica CL is not supported. I NEED it to be supported. I purchased DXO PL knowing that it supported all of my prior cameras and expected it to support the CL's DNG files, as it did with my prior Leica T. I have loved using DXO PL for quite a while now and really would like to use it processing my CL's DNG files. The feature that I really relied on was the PRIME denoising algorithm. Unfortunately, it is available during raw file processing. That doesn't help me at all right now. I beseech DXO to support the CL as soon as possible. It apparently has been selling quite well, at least by Leica standards. It deserves that support. It is a terrific camera.... Thanks again,
Marc

ColinG

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:58:00 am »
This is  not the first thread I have read re lenses not being supported. I always thought DxO were reliable in this respect. It does not impact me with my Nikon kit, but is there a weakness here? Seems odd selling a product that cannot be guaranteed future proof camera wise.

marclw

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02:27 pm »
I agree. The Leica 11-23 TL and 55--135 TL lenses and the Leica DNG's already are supported. The main kit lens, the 18-56 is not (oddly enough). The Leica CL, like the T, uses the DNG format. I simply don't understand why DXO does not support the 18-56 and the CL. This aggravates the heck out of me. I certainly thought that DXO PL would support the CL because I had no difficulty whatsoever processing my T DNG's. Hey, DXO, PLEASE respond with a minor update!!!!!!!!!!

Pieloe

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:04:04 pm »
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the information doesn't help me whatsoever. I already KNOW that the Leica CL is not supported. I NEED it to be supported. I purchased DXO PL knowing that it supported all of my prior cameras and expected it to support the CL's DNG files, as it did with my prior Leica T. I have loved using DXO PL for quite a while now and really would like to use it processing my CL's DNG files. The feature that I really relied on was the PRIME denoising algorithm. Unfortunately, it is available during raw file processing. That doesn't help me at all right now. I beseech DXO to support the CL as soon as possible. It apparently has been selling quite well, at least by Leica standards. It deserves that support. It is a terrific camera.... Thanks again,
Marc

I understand but you DON'T read my post  as it should be  ;)

Take a look at the BOTTOM of this page.
You MUST see a survey.
"Please let us know by filling out this suggestion form. "

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:06:18 pm by Pieloe »

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:38:31 pm »

I understand but you DON'T read my post  as it should be  ;)

Take a look at the BOTTOM of this page.
You MUST see a survey.
"Please let us know by filling out this suggestion form. "
Yes. I read your post the other day and saw that link to the suggestion form, and so I was also confused by the responses. It would be nice if there was some easy way to build your own profiles.

This is very nice software, and my main processing tool, so it can be very frustrating when they do not support the camera/lens combination you are using. It seems things are a bit "iffy" if you are not shooting Canon or Nikon camera and lenses.

marclw

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:19 am »
I filled out the suggestion form quite a while ago. I got a fairly useless response. They don't seem to care much about their customers. Too bad...... It's a really good program, and it seems that I wasted my money. I'm a semi retired lawyer and have been a pro photog for the last ten years. I need to be careful with my $$$.....  :-X

ColinG

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:09:39 pm »
Have to say there is not much interaction between DxO and its user-base. It does seem a case of pay your money and hope. That is a shame.

Asser

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:39 pm »
The problem is that only DNGs are supported, where the embedded raw format is supported also. So DNG can be seen as a container here:

If CR2 is supported, then CR2 in DNG also.
If XX is not supported, then XX in DNG is also not supported.

I think that DXO has some human resource shortages. So they observe the camera market shares, to make a priority list for supported cameras/lenses. This list is then cleaned from exotic/technically not fitting formats (like Fuji). The human resource time is invested according to the priority list. Everything else falls off the table. This is how I would do it.

ColinG

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 02:50:03 pm »
Probably true, Assar. Hope Nik has not fallen off the table and that none working video had not been fixed last time I looked :-)

Asser

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:15 pm »
Marketing does not seem to have priority. Tutorial videos, evangelists, social media presence and other advertising stuff belongs to this category. DxO works more with sale offerings, giveaways of older (essential) versions and solid features, although the development vilocity compared to others is a little bit slow.

I think NIK will have priority, because money must come in, which was spent to buy it. Looking on PhotoLab and past release cycles I would not expect PL2  to be released in 2018. Especially if some resources are bound by NIK now.

ColinG

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
Yet they say they will upgrade Nik in 2018? Does that mean the stand-alone plugin version then? Or do you see that being a point upgrade in the current PhotoLab version (or both)?

Asser

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:30:33 am »
Look, I am speculating also, but:

In the last years a major Op/PL release was released in cycles of 1.5 years. If this remains this way, I would expect PL2 in march or april 2019.

I think NIK will remain a stand alone product like viewpoint, targeted at all the Lightroom/Ps/Affinity users. Not all people want to use PL or work with RAW. But there are millions that use LR/ Ps with NIK, especially after it became free.

On the other hand, some aspects of NIK standalone could be covered in PL or a new Filmpack. Filmpack 5 is many years on the market. It is time for FP6, which could get elements from AnalogEfex, ColorEfex and SilverEfex. I do not know, whether NIK has algorithms, which are missing in Filmpack now, we will see.

From other posts I know, that in the short term we will get more local adjustments in PL, for example for shadow recovery. I think the current equalizer concept will change, because it does not scale well, if more sliders appear. In the long term we could see more DAM.

ColinG

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:21 pm »
Interesting. Certainly that is how I see Nik being handled. There is a market out tgere for the plugin so would silly to miss out.

photography
photography