Author Topic: Just to Clarify: Lens Sharpness Tool  (Read 316 times)

sgoldkuhle

Just to Clarify: Lens Sharpness Tool
« on: April 02, 2018, 10:30:53 pm »
Hi,
for my 80D I'm planning to buy the Canon 70-300 IS II USM and therefor I'm researching within a couple of forums, websites and so on. (I don't want to start a discussion about various models of lenses, please)
Somewhere I read, that the lens has a bit unsharpness at 70mm on the corners (as nearly all lenses), which maybe I can't see.
Is correcting these problems exactly the work of the "Lens sharpness tool", I mean correcting lens specific weaknesses or is it an overall setting "sharpness + x%"?
Regards
Stefan
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:38:01 pm by sgoldkuhle »

MikeFromMesa

Re: Just to Clarify: Lens Sharpness Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »
The PhotoLab Lens Sharpness tool works in 2 ways. First, it automatically corrects for what the lens/camera profile see as lens softness (it used to be called the Lens Softness Tool) so the answer to your question is yes. But it also provides for the ability to adjust the Lens Softness setting manually so you can increase or decrease that adjustment if you wish. I just leave it on automatic and do not worry about it after that.

Keep in mind that it will only automatically adjust for camera and lens pairs that Dxo has profiles for, so it adjusts for my Olympus E-M1 Mk II and my Olympus 12-100 lens (it has a profile for that pair), but not for the same camera with my Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye lens as it has no profile for that pair. If there is no profile then the entire Lens Sharpness panel is disabled and you have to use the Unsharp mask for manual sharpening. PhotoLab also has a micro contrast adjustment that has the visual effect of sharpening as well.

You can see the camera/lens pairs in the PhotoLab software by clicking Dxo Modules -> Manage Dxo Optics Modules to make sure there is a profile for your specific camera and lens pair.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:46:47 pm by MikeFromMesa »

sgoldkuhle

Re: Just to Clarify: Lens Sharpness Tool
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »
Many thanks for your answer.
Indeed I can say, that the automatic mode works very well on my other combinations and for me there is no need to adjust.
I made my decicion to buy the lens lately next week  8)

photography
photography