Author Topic: Removing shadows  (Read 588 times)

Joachims

Removing shadows
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
Plese have a look at this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4267349
There's a photo of an Italian church with a sharp shadow. Someone managed to remove the shadow completly.
I downloaded the original jpg-file and tried to remove the shadow with DXO Photolab, without sucess.
I am a beginner - it may be my own lack of experience. Does anyone know how to get rid of unwanted shadows?

Pieloe

Re: Removing shadows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:16:11 am »

You can't.
It's a typical work with a bitmap editor like PS and Affinity in this case.

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:31:22 pm »
The image you refer to has too big contrast difference between the shadowed and sun lighted area. With PS or Affinity you can do the job, but it should take hours to achieve a not easily recognized modification. PL is not such a pixel modification app, rather than RAW file converter.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

nputtick

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:00:20 pm »
Removal of "unwanted shadows" is rarely convincing - none of the examples in the thread look good to me, all are unnatural.  The best approach is to minimise the impact by a local adjustment on shadow density, leaving a less prominent shadow, while keeping the remainder of the image unaffected.  This is not easy, and requires practice.  IMO easiest to do in Photoshop (less so in Lightroom), using local adjustments for most of the work, keeping changes subtle, rather than cloning etc.  Another approach is to shoot the image under overcast conditions, or with the sun in a different direction - often not possible if you just take a few images at a specific time of day when travelling, for example.

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:35:59 pm »
These are to me examples of hyper-doctored photography. None of the resulting pics are convincing.
I think that with DPL one could just reduce the shadows and darken the too bright parts and therefore get a more natural looking picture.
BTW, I think the OP over-corrected the perspective and this too doesn’t look natural. It’s a trend in architecture photography to make vertical lines perfectly vertical and parallel. It looks artificial to me.
Nick

Priscilla Turner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:30:37 am »
I'm inclined to say rather that it's reminiscent of the effect of an old rising front used in such a way that there's the sense of being halfway up from ground level. I do sometimes use it.

photography
photography