Author Topic: EXIF scrubbing  (Read 762 times)

katastrofa

EXIF scrubbing
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
Olympus insists on adding the string "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" in the Caption field of EXIF data. This was not a problem for me until recently, when DxO PhotoLab started copying this field into exported JPEGs. Would it be a problem to add an option to block copying certain EXIF fields? Olympus has reportedly been unwilling to fix this problem at their end (it's been known for years), so no hope to stop this tag from being added to RAW files.

Bencsi

Re: EXIF scrubbing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:35 pm »
You should use the free Adobe Bridge to remove a certain EXIF or IPTC data from all selected images. It is so simple for bulk job.
Same with GeoSetter app, where you can do same job for bulk too.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Rex Block

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:11 pm »
If you are comfortable with the Windows command shell, you can install exiftool, which will handle this job easily.

katastrofa

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
I'll try exiftool, Adobe Bridge is a 900MB download :)

But it would be nice to be able to do it from within DxO...

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:29:37 am »
The ExifTool is fine for individual modifications only. For batch job, not too practical.
From space usage on HDD respect, the
Bridge - 900 Mb
GeoSetter - 44 Mb
It is a choice of the user.
You should watch a webinar actually about Bridge features ( between 12- 31 of March ).
https://www.creativelive.com/class/adobe-photoshop-cc-bootcamp-blake-rudis/lessons/overview-of-bridge

Endre
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:13:26 am by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:02:03 am »
If you are on a Mac you could try Exifchanger. This is based on Exiftool but with a GUI and you can do batches.

http://basepath.com/new/detail-ExifChanger.php

orangedaisy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
It's solved! They took control of my computer and sorted it for me, which was great. Thank you so much for all your help everyone!

Rex Block

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:41:36 am »
The ExifTool is fine for individual modifications only. For batch job, not too practical.

exiftool will work with any number of files, or a whole directory, and will walk a subtree if needed.

Nick_

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:43 am »
Olympus insists on adding the string "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" in the Caption field of EXIF data. This was not a problem for me until recently, when DxO PhotoLab started copying this field into exported JPEGs. Would it be a problem to add an option to block copying certain EXIF fields?
This would mean that full fledge EXIF management would be added to DPL. I wish DxO will some day, hopefully soon.
In the meantime, you need to have a DAM for many purposes like organizing, renaming, etc. As Endre said Bridge is perfect and is free. It has tools to create template to automate EXIF data editing. That’s what I do with the Author and Copyright fields, which are not edited by my current camera.
Nico

katastrofa

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 12:10:43 pm »
My solution, maybe it will be useful for other people. I created a whack_olympus_bs.bat file with

exiftool  -overwrite_original -Description= -ImageDescription= *.orf

and placed it in the same directory as exiftool.exe,  and added this directory to PATH variable.

Now I just need to run "whack_olympus_bs.bat" in the directory with my photos, and voila! no description tags.

!! WARNING: this script **overwrites** your .ORF files. If you don't want it, remove the "-overwrite_original" part.

photography