Author Topic: DAM and organization with PL?  (Read 1356 times)

ThinkVision

DAM and organization with PL?
« on: March 17, 2018, 02:53:26 pm »
This is my first post so please go easy on me.  I am going to make the jump to PL.  I will need something to handle organization and management.  Suggestions? 

Is the good integration between PL and Photo Supreme?  I hear Neofinder is good but cant seem to find much information about it.  On the Windows side iMatch appears to be very competent with mapping, hierarchy, keywords, and maybe most import to me is searching to find what photos I have .....  Perhaps it could run well in parallels.

What else should I consider that works well?  I would like my edits to automagically show up in the dam software.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Drdul

Re: DAM and organization with PL?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:38:32 pm »
You can use Adobe Bridge for free: https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/bridge.html

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:37 pm »
Have you considered Adobe Bridge - it is free and works well enough with PL. But remember DxO PL is basically a raw developer really, albeit a very good one, with some limited masking capability (which includes U Point). It does not have all the selective masking/editing functionality associated with the likes of LR/PS which is why I do  not use it exclusively. My hope is that this will change now DxO have purchased Nik.

You have mentioned Photo Supreme - why not run the trial and see for yourself? It is good but different.

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:11:17 pm »
I can recommend Media Pro. Overall I can also recommend that you have a look at "The DAM book" from Peter Krogh.

ThinkVision

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:46:10 pm »
Have you considered Adobe Bridge - it is free and works well enough with PL. But remember DxO PL is basically a raw developer really, albeit a very good one, with some limited masking capability (which includes U Point). It does not have all the selective masking/editing functionality associated with the likes of LR/PS which is why I do  not use it exclusively. My hope is that this will change now DxO have purchased Nik.

You have mentioned Photo Supreme - why not run the trial and see for yourself? It is good but different.

Thank you for the reply - I have considered bridge, but looking for other options.   Thank you for the notes on masking - I do have C1 and will consider using it, but that is why I am switching to PL :-).

I may give it a try - I was just hoping to get some feedback from those who use it.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by different?

ThinkVision

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 05:47:32 pm »
I can recommend Media Pro. Overall I can also recommend that you have a look at "The DAM book" from Peter Krogh.

I have a copy and agree it is a great book.  Any comments a front end for PL?

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »
I use Bridge too. It’s free and it has all the features you would expect from a DAM… but nothing else. The only correction tool it has is the orientation tool.
So it’s only a DAM and an excellent one… and it’s free.
Have you considered Adobe Bridge - it is free and works well enough with PL.
What do mean by Bridge “works well enough with PL”? I may have missed something but it doesn’t work at all with PL. It displays the RAWs as shot without the corrections done in PL.
I recently created a suggestion: What about a DPL plug-in for Bridge?. What do you think about it?
Nick

danieljcox

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:34 pm »
I highly recommend a very little know program called Mylio. Have been using it for two years now with DXO PhotoLab. PhotoLab now my primary program for making hardcore edits. Mylio does have the ability to tweak your images but Mylio tools are not as powerful as DXO PhotoLab. However, I use Mylio tools 80% of the time and DXO PhotoLab the other 20%. And yes, when you save your corrected file in DXO to Oringal Folder, Mylio picks it up virtually instantly. I've made a short video on why I use Mylio you can see here if you're interested. http://naturalexposures.com/save-your-photos/ I'm now managing 1,070,000+ photos with Mylio and that was the oringal reason I switched from Lightroom since LR can't even begin to handle that many images even on a Mac Pro 6 Core, 32 gig RAM machine.

ThinkVision

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:15:22 pm »
I use Bridge too. It’s free and it has all the features you would expect from a DAM… but nothing else. The only correction tool it has is the orientation tool.
What do mean by Bridge “works well enough with PL”? I may have missed something but it doesn’t work at all with PL. It displays the RAWs as shot without the corrections done in PL.
I recently created a suggestion: What about a DPL plug-in for Bridge?. What do you think about it?
Nick

Maybe I have dismissed Bridge to quickly.  Perhaps it is all the negative LR/PS talk on the interwebs.  I will have to give it a go.  Does it have the same DAM features as LR?  Certainly free is a plus - but I really want to do this right and am willing to pay for the something that helps get control of my photos.  I really want to be able to search my catalog and find past photos by including and excluding different parameters and keywords.  I think if I was on a PC iMatch would be the ideal piece of software.  I would like all the keywords, metadata, tags, whatever to be in the file so if I want to migrate to something different in the future I am not locked in....

Also - if I understand you correctly - there is no way to see edits in bridge after work with them in PL - no round tripping?  I would be interested in what ColinG meant by that as well.

Thanks Nick

ThinkVision

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:08 pm »

Thank you for the media pro recommendation.

ColinG

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:10 pm »
Nick

Maybe I have dismissed Bridge to quickly.  Perhaps it is all the negative LR/PS talk on the interwebs.  I will have to give it a go.  Does it have the same DAM features as LR?  Certainly free is a plus - but I really want to do this right and am willing to pay for the something that helps get control of my photos.  I really want to be able to search my catalog and find past photos by including and excluding different parameters and keywords.  I think if I was on a PC iMatch would be the ideal piece of software.  I would like all the keywords, metadata, tags, whatever to be in the file so if I want to migrate to something different in the future I am not locked in....

Also - if I understand you correctly - there is no way to see edits in bridge after work with them in PL - no round tripping?  I would be interested in what ColinG meant by that as well.

Thanks Nick
No there is  no way to see the edits because Bridge (or any other DAM as far as I know) does not read the sidecar files of external editing programs. LR is a completely different animal as it has Adobe camera Raw installed as the editor and LR can obviously read ACR edits. But remember whatever you look at it is not going to have all the bells and whistles of LR. LR is a brilliant all in one solution - it has a growing customer base that is huge. Clearly the vast majority love it.

I use Bridge to give me an overall view of my image files and their locations. It allows me to edit the exif and carry out many other basic DAM functions. If I really need to see the edited thumbnails I do not open Bridge at all, I open the DxO Browser - this shows thumbnail representations of the edits, plus any jpegs or tiffs that are in the folder.

If you want a LR experience then why are you looking at DxO? I would have thought the LR subscription would have been the better bet or something like ON1 Raw 2018.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:18:01 pm by ColinG »

ThinkVision

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:51:42 pm »

If you want a LR experience then why are you looking at DxO? I would have thought the LR subscription would have been the better bet or something like ON1 Raw 2018.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.  I am really struggling with being tied to the Adobe ecosystem.  It is not necessarily cost - although the subscription for $10 is a bit irritating.  I am not questioning the value proposition.

I want my metadata and organization to be portable and independent.  I think it should live in the file.   

I am just looking for best way to 1) organize my collection with dynamic searching to find images years after - smart searching with this not that.  2) I want great RAW development and correction tools and filters, preferably in one app, but I get probably not.  3) Simple consumption of images and rich output options.

I suspect I am not going to find what I am looking for.  I think PL image results are outstanding, which is why I want to use it.  Coming up with a front end is hard. 

I am probably making this to complicated.  I just am so tied of starting and stopping a workflow because I was stuck at a particular spot in the process. 

I am willing to go through the pain and "start over" and desire a holistic end-to-end solution.   I know it is not reality but one can hope :-).

Thanks again for helping me think though this.

ColinG

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
I am using DxO as I am hoping now that have bought Nik they will on develop the program further and to a more complete editor. The results from it are good now as a straight raw converter but it needs improved masking and other things. If it does not then I shall almost certainly just stick with LR Classic. I am hopeful - why else would they have bought Nik unless it is just to update the plugins themselves?

However, if you just want to edit raw files quickly and are not interested much in tweaking/creative editing then DxO is more than good enough.

Asser

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 03:01:37 pm »
@ThinkVision

I am using the following approach. Maybe it is something for you:

1) Use Lightroom as DAM. If you stop your Adobe subscription, LR goes into a DAM only mode, where you cannot edit the raws anymore, but the "Library" module and "Import" are functional. This way you get a DAM for free. You can install new LR versions and it remains functional.

2) From LR there is a DxO plugin, which can be used to launch DxO. You make your edits and export a JPEG for each raw to the same location as the raw.

3) In Lightroom you Refresh your folders and now you have RAW+PhotoLab JPEG in parallel.

4) You define two filters in LR: RAWs only, Versions/JPEGs only. The second you use while you are browsing in Lightroom. This way you have the correct previews as you would see them in PhotoLab. The first filter is used just before starting a new develop cycle with PhotoLab. You do not need to see the raws, as long as you do not want to develop them.

ThinkVision

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:10:24 pm »
@Asser

Thank you for this!  Very good information.  I am not so concerned about keep Lightroom up to date - just feels like being closed in...

Thanks for all this to everyone - very helpful.  Other thoughts welcome!

photography
photography