Author Topic: What is that icon for?  (Read 449 times)

MikeFromMesa

What is that icon for?
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:05:12 am »
This seems a bit odd. I have been using Optics Pro, and now PhotoLab, for perhaps 6 or 7 years now, and never paid much attention to the Distortion panel. I left it set to do auto corrections and did not pay it any more attention.

However I have been playing around with using a fisheye lens for panorama photos and so paid closer attention to the distortion panel and noticed the little "magic wand" icon. Since I could not find a way to attach a screen shot here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mk6csp7jboiq64/distortionPanel.jpg?dl=0

It only appears when the setting is set to Based on DXO module, but I do not know what it actually does. I clicked it, and it changed state from on to off (I suppose), but it made no difference in the image display. I then opened the manual and looked for its functionality, but it is never mentioned in the user guide.

What functionality does that icon control?

picman

Re: What is that icon for?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:12 am »
I don't know the answer to your question, but that you were unable to load an attachment is exactly what I complained about a few messages back. The functionality seems to be there (Attachments and other options under the message box) you can choose a file to attach but when you click Post nothing happens.  :'(

crisscross

• Pbase Galleries
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:03:14 am »
'Auto with DxO module' first assumes there is one for the lens+camera combination. When I use this, usually with a wide angle lens on an image with obviously bent linear components, I actually find 70% is best correction, not magic wand=100%. Like most 'auto' settings it is not necessarily the best, hence the option of 'Manual'. With a fisheye lens, it is probably neither possible nor desirable to get straight lines back straight, hence maybe best to go direct to 'manual' settings, which includes 'fisheye' as a sub-option (NB 11.4.5, but don't think 12 alters this)
Chris     Nikon 1 J5  MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 http://www.pbase.com/crisscross

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:12 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question, but that you were unable to load an attachment is exactly what I complained about a few messages back. The functionality seems to be there (Attachments and other options under the message box) you can choose a file to attach but when you click Post nothing happens.  :'(

Yes. I saw your post and agreed. It does seem a bit strange to have the functionality to attach a file but not be able to actually do the attachment.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
'Auto with DxO module' first assumes there is one for the lens+camera combination. When I use this, usually with a wide angle lens on an image with obviously bent linear components, I actually find 70% is best correction, not magic wand=100%. Like most 'auto' settings it is not necessarily the best, hence the option of 'Manual'. With a fisheye lens, it is probably neither possible nor desirable to get straight lines back straight, hence maybe best to go direct to 'manual' settings, which includes 'fisheye' as a sub-option (NB 11.4.5, but don't think 12 alters this)

OK. I see. The icon simply sets the Intensity value to 100% and, since it was already at that value, clicking it had no further effect.

Thank you. That answers my question.

photography
photography