Author Topic: When does PhotoLab create and write to .dop files?  (Read 536 times)

Drdul

When does PhotoLab create and write to .dop files?
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:07 pm »
When does PhotoLab save my image settings in a .dop file? The reason I ask is that PhotoLab does not appear to automatically save the settings the same way Lightroom does if I have the “automatically write to XML” setting turned on. At the very least, I would want PhotoLab to write the image settings to a .dop file when I export the image.

The Finder shows that no .dop file is created when I open an image in PhotoLab, nor when I export it back to Lightroom. PhotoLab only creates a .dop file when I subsequently move the image from the “Lightroom” project to another project (after which I delete the “Lightroom” project). is there a way to have PhotoLab write the image settings to the .dop file sooner?

LCDI

• Mac test leader
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.dxo.com
Re: When does PhotoLab create and write to .dop files?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:51:20 pm »
Hello Drdul,

Actually the DOP files are saved automatically in 3 cases :
- when the selected picture is changed
- when PL is quit
- when a Virtual copy is created

You can do it manually by calling menu : File/Sidecars/Export

PAt

Drdul

Re: When does PhotoLab create and write to .dop files?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »
Hi Pat:

Thanks for the reply. That's what I had expected, but the first item on your list (when a photo is changed) is not what I'm seeing happen. When I open a photo and edit it, no DOP file is created. When I export it, no DOP file is created.

I have been manually creating and writing to DOP files with the File > Sidecars > Export command because I was concerned that otherwise nothing would happen. I tested what happens when I quit PhotoLab, and it works as you described in the second item on your list, and does create a DOP file. So that means I don't need to manually export sidecar files anymore.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:02:54 pm by Drdul »

photography