Author Topic: Crop tool  (Read 2385 times)

Ralf Brinkmann

Crop tool
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:59 pm »
I wanted to cut a vertical portrait out of a horizontal photo. The crop tool offers several standard formats like 16:9 or 3:2. But there is no 2:3. The most widely used format for application photos is still 6:9 or 4:6 (vertical). Is there a trick how I can change the vertical and horizontal values in the selection of the aspect ratio?
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: Crop tool
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:07:54 pm »
Hello,

You can take the diagonal crop rectangle handler and move - the crop rectangle changes its orientation and the aspect ratio will be the one you selected (I mean 3/2 turns to 2/3). Same for other aspects.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:01 pm »
Hi, Svetlana! Oh, that's really hard to find out. I have to move a lot until it flips to the other direction. And there is no optical hint that it will do one time.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:35 pm »
Yep, unfortunately you are right :( But  good news that Crop tool is in the queue to be redesigned.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

John7

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »
I do hope this will at last enable the "A" ratio. Its been asked for, or the ability for users to create there own crop sizes that do not depend on being added to a preset (such use prevents using any other  preset where you don't have it as you then lose the "A crop.

Pieloe

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:37 pm »
At this time it's easy to enter manually a real or a fraction.
But I know the system forgets the value :(

Timedog

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:04:29 am »
I hope "constrain to image borders" is in the works for the crop tool when using it after you've aligned the horizon.

Rex Block

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:24:31 pm »
Yep, unfortunately you are right :( But  good news that Crop tool is in the queue to be redesigned.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Woo-Hoo! Please make it possible to enter specific values for crop (not the ratio, but the actual dimensions).

emalvick

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:56:39 am »
At this time it's easy to enter manually a real or a fraction.
But I know the system forgets the value :(

THis is my biggest issue with the program.  It can get annoying to retype in crops or "discover" that ratios used previously are gone. 

John7

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:37:40 am »
The only way I managed to get the "A" ratio, which I use for most prints,  was to create a default preset. The draw back is you lose this as soon as using another preset!
Support have known of this omit ion for years, one I have always been amazed by given the "A" ratio is the main European paper sizing. It also demonstrated at times the lack of some in supports understanding of how the program worked as I was advised once to create a preset with just the "A" ratio and use that when needed. Of course it would then wipe out anything else done!
Some of us for years have been asking for this ratio or better the ability for user created presets but have not as yet gotten anywhere at all. Hopefully this might now change.

Pieloe

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:44 pm »
You can create a partial preset which does this only thing.
And applied it at the end of the process.

Bencsi

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »
Agree with Pieloe, just a small comment - such Preset should be applied at the start of editing, otherwise the size change will modify the content and have to check again all images.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

John7

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »
Thanks, that was the problem they said to use at the end so it did indeed wipe out every thing done.

isaacarus

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:09 pm »
I hope "constrain to image borders" is in the works for the crop tool when using it after you've aligned the horizon.

THIS PLEASE!!!^^^^^^^

also a keyboard shortcut to open the crop tool like many other editors (X, C or something simple)

photography