Author Topic: Spurious virtual copies in PL 1.1.2  (Read 663 times)

katastrofa

Spurious virtual copies in PL 1.1.2
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »
Hi,

I keep my photos on a portable SSD drive which I move between two Windows PCs I use to edit photos (laptop and desktop). After working on a directory with a large number of RAW Olympus files (ORF) on my desktop, I open the directory on the laptop. I discovered that all RAW files in this directory which I edited in some way have a virtual copy, even though I didn't ask PhotoLab to make one. How is that possible and is there a way to avoid such accidents?

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: Spurious virtual copies in PL 1.1.2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:20:14 am »
Hello,

Do you have the same application version on your PC and laptop?

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Asser

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:41 pm »
I know of a case, where renaming photos and sidecar files causes this problem in a reproducible way. The root cause is:

1) You first edit your photos on pc 1. This updates the photolab database with your development edits and also writes them to the dop sidecars.
2) Now you take your images and dops to pc 2. But your pc 2 has its own PhotoLab database file. If you now edit the same photo as on pc 1 also on pc 2 the changes are written to the dop file and the PhotoLab database on pc 2.
3) Now you return again to pc 1 and PhotoLab detects that the edits in the data base do not match to the edits in the dop. The database and the dop are out of sync.

In that case PhotoLab loads the dop version as a virtual copy into the database, so that you have two virtual copies of a file.

I have reported this and I was told, that this is intended behavior. A better behavior would be,  if PhotoLab would ask, whether to:

1) Sync database to dop
2) Sync dop to database
3) Add dop version as virtual copy

What you could try is:

Try to place the PhotoLab database file onto the ssd and let both Photolab installations use the same database. The key is to keep database and dops synchronous.

sgoldkuhle

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17:02 pm »
Hopefully I understand this english text correctly, but I have a similar problem.
- I'm using one licence on a MacBook Pro in my living room (primary machine for processing)
- A second licence on a strong Windows machine
Primary I'm processing my photos on my Mac and copying onle RAW files to my Windows Machine for Backup, but two weeks ago I wanted to reorg all Photos an all machines.
- I copied the complete folders from Mac to a second folder (i.e. FromMac) in Windows
- I moved and overwrite from the new folder to the origin Windows Backup folder (incl. *.DOP)
- Finally beyond Windows I got an actual Folder with Sidecar files (originally stored by mac) and RAWs.
No RAWs are double, but within some folders I got virtual copies in Windows PL and don't know why.

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:07 am »
Hello,

As Asser has already perfectly explained, the virtual copies are created if there is no synchronization with the corrections and the databases (same will be if you open the images in version n+1, then in version n and again n+1).

And about this request:
I have reported this and I was told, that this is intended behavior. A better behavior would be,  if PhotoLab would ask, whether to:

1) Sync database to dop
2) Sync dop to database
3) Add dop version as virtual copy

I totally agree with it. And I'll add the request to the backlog.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

katastrofa

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:38:03 am »
Do you have the same application version on your PC and laptop?

Yes, Build 2793 on both.

katastrofa

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 12:48:51 am »
Try to place the PhotoLab database file onto the ssd and let both Photolab installations use the same database. The key is to keep database and dops synchronous.

Thanks - I will try that.

katastrofa

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:44 am »

Thanks - I will try that.

I tried it. It works as long as you remember never to start DxO PhotoLab without the SSD plugged in. The moment you do this, it resets the location of the database to the default one on C: drive. A bit frustrating...

photography
photography