Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III - sRAW/mRAW  (Read 623 times)

indyelvis

• The Last Picture Taken
Canon EOS 5D Mark III - sRAW/mRAW
« on: March 09, 2018, 09:23:07 pm »
Good evening.

Got myself a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Weee  :)
Downloaded the modules for this camera and lenses, but I still get the "This image can't be processed as sRAW/mRAW format is not supported by PhotoLab"

Any Canon EOS 5D Mark III-users out there with a helping hand?
I want to shoot in RAW, is there another RAW-version this camera can use so I can use DxOPhotoLab?

courtox

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III - sRAW/mRAW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:36:18 pm »
Hi,
this is normal your are not using the Canon RAW format, but a subset.
A RAW file is the image data exactly as captured on the sensor.
An S-RAW file has approximately one-fourth the pixel count and approximately half the file size of a RAW image.

mRaw and sRaw were designed for occasions where you do not need the full resolution, for web usage for example. These  reduced RAW format was born when storage space was limited because of the price of SD or CF cards.
If you want to create images with high quality -you must use RAW format only, not mRaw or  sRaw.
You are the owner of a high quality camera, a CANON Mark III, you need the best possible quality for your images.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:42:44 pm by courtox »
Francis
MacBookPro mid 2010, OS/X El Capitan  memory  8Giga storage 4Tera
Olympus E-M5 MK II 17mm f/1.8 / 25 mm f/1.4 /45 mm f/1.8  /75mm f/1.8

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:57:34 pm »
As a former Canon 5D2 user who had the same question years ago I can not really argue with courtox's response, but alternately you might try using the Adobe dng converter on those images (if it will work on sRAW and mRAW images now. I think it did not back then) and, if so, that might solve your issue as PhotoLab will now process regular dng images.

The 5D3 is still relatively new and I do not know if Adobe has updated their dng converter to cover it, but they might have.

indyelvis

• The Last Picture Taken
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:23:12 pm »
Hi,
this is normal your are not using the Canon RAW format, but a subset.
A RAW file is the image data exactly as captured on the sensor.
An S-RAW file has approximately one-fourth the pixel count and approximately half the file size of a RAW image.

mRaw and sRaw were designed for occasions where you do not need the full resolution, for web usage for example. These  reduced RAW format was born when storage space was limited because of the price of SD or CF cards.
If you want to create images with high quality -you must use RAW format only, not mRaw or  sRaw.
You are the owner of a high quality camera, a CANON Mark III, you need the best possible quality for your images.

Thank you!
(Sorry for the late reply ;) )

photography