Author Topic: Fill a piece of an image with a color  (Read 1760 times)

Ralf Brinkmann

Fill a piece of an image with a color
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:13:48 pm »
In an image with a big advertising I had a piece of a white wall in the upper left corner in the form of a triangle. I could not cut it away, so I wanted to dye it with black or the neighboring color. I tried the repair tool and all local adjustments like the brush and so on, but I was not able to give the triangle the wanted color. Finally I did it with the freeware IrfanView by using the fill-tool or the clone-tool, but only in the final *.jpg.

How could I do this with the phantastic DxO PhotoLab?
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Bencsi

Re: Fill a piece of an image with a color
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:15 pm »
I'm afraid Ralf, such development is not on the urgent list of PL. Theoretically, the Auto selection in the Local settings have to select the similar color area, but practically the fix border setting prevent the precise selection. The Threshold and Feather parameters - set to the selected area - should solve the problem generally.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:58:04 pm »
Ok, suppose I could select the area in a satisfying way, but how can I change this white color to black or a very dark gray (the neighboring colors)?

Priscilla Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:58:41 am »
Frankly I'd do this in PS with image-Adjustments-Selective Color.

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
Hi Ralf,

If you decrease the Exposure, the area will be almost black, by increase the area became almost white. Furthermore change the White balance can modify the color content. Of course, both have limitation, if you have to apply an exact color substitution. Without a Fill tool with the pipette sampling tool ( maybe a six digit color code field ), actually it is impossible. As you described in the starting note, IrfanView does it very intelligently.

Frankly speaking I prefer other apps to make such a job. PS has a fantastic Content Aware fill option. Its select adjusting the feather and resize of the selection. On the top of that, if the first attempt was not perfect, I can repeat on the modified area several times subsequently. The selection is also not limited to auto. Any shape can be selected by the pencil-like tool.
I'm sure, this is another job, we have to find the solution outside of PL. The recent Local corrections are mostly very useful, there are some cases, when it is more easy to do it outside.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 01:16:52 pm »
Thanks Priscilla and Bensi for your answers. The point is: I bought DxO just to avoid the use of any other product, especially Adobe products. I had Photoshop (only once used) and Lightroom before and I am so happy that I can now do nearly everything with DxO much faster and much better. The prime noise reduction is a hellish tool compared to other programs. And now with the local adjustements it's even better then before. There are only some little things that can be developed a little bit more. I hope that a kind of pipette or fill tool or a clone tool will be added to the local adjustements.

Asser

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:37 pm »
In an image with a big advertising I had a piece of a white wall in the upper left corner in the form of a triangle. I could not cut it away, so I wanted to dye it with black or the neighboring color. I tried the repair tool and all local adjustments like the brush and so on, but I was not able to give the triangle the wanted color. Finally I did it with the freeware IrfanView by using the fill-tool or the clone-tool, but only in the final *.jpg.

How could I do this with the phantastic DxO PhotoLab?

I would use Affinity Photo for such tasks. 100% Adobe free:
https://vimeo.com/130966523

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 01:02:11 am »
If I can not do it with DxO PhotoLab, I can do it with any other program, a paid one or a free one. But I hope one day DxO PhotoLab will do it.

nputtick

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
DXO optics pro and photolab are RAW developers primarily.  Photolab has now added local adjustment tools to the global adjustment tools of Optics Pro.  For many images, nothing else is needed unless you want to start cloning or otherwise making detailed local changes at the pixel level, or if you wish to use layer-based techniques. What you are describing is a pixel-level change, and for that you will need a suitable software package.  These can be expensive (Adobe), mid-price (Affinity), or even free (such as GIMP).  I suspect if DXO were to develop a product that does all that, it would be as expensive as Adobe and you would be equally locked-in.

pisaacs@erols.com

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:17 am »
Agreed. This sort of thing should not be expected to PL. It would be an unnecessary distraction for the developers.

photography
photography