Author Topic: Roll-your-own lens profiles  (Read 1560 times)

Rex Block

Roll-your-own lens profiles
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:38:55 am »
Is it possible to create a roll-your-own lens profile?

I am using some non-CPU lenses that do not transmit any LensID EXIF information to the raw images. I know what the lenses are, and I could correct the raw images in post-processing by applying a lens ID, which would then reference an entry in the DxO CAFlist DB.

The lenses in question are older AI-S Nikkor 50mm and 180mm, and a 28mm Nikkor Series E. At the most basic level, I would try to optimise contrast, vignetting, and distortion control.

TAdams

Re: Roll-your-own lens profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:00:57 am »
Would appreciate this also  :D

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:17:18 am »
Is it possible to create a roll-your-own lens profile?

I am using some non-CPU lenses that do not transmit any LensID EXIF information to the raw images. I know what the lenses are, and I could correct the raw images in post-processing by applying a lens ID, which would then reference an entry in the DxO CAFlist DB.

The lenses in question are older AI-S Nikkor 50mm and 180mm, and a 28mm Nikkor Series E. At the most basic level, I would try to optimise contrast, vignetting, and distortion control.

Hello,

The functionality you asked about I mean the creation of lens profile is not possible in the application.
But why not to create a custom preset with the desirable corrections (contrast, vignetting, and distortion control) and apply it for these images?

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

ushere

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:40:10 am »
just to further this slightly...

i shoot with a sigma sdq with a 35mm art lens. since you, unfortunately, don't profile any sigma cameras, is there any way of just adding the lens to a profile WITHOUT a camera body?

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:11 am »
just to further this slightly...

i shoot with a sigma sdq with a 35mm art lens. since you, unfortunately, don't profile any sigma cameras, is there any way of just adding the lens to a profile WITHOUT a camera body?

Hello,

Nope, it's not possible as calibration is done for the combination of a body+lens.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

ushere

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:01:18 am »
thanks....

Rex Block

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »
So the lens correction would be applied first, followed by the selected preset ... but that won't interfere with any of the settings applied by the lens correction preset?

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 07:43:46 am »
So the lens correction would be applied first, followed by the selected preset ... but that won't interfere with any of the settings applied by the lens correction preset?

Hello,

When downloading a module to the image, in the palettes appears additional corrections (mostly with Auto label) such as Vignetting (auto), Distortion (auto) ... But it's up to you to let them interfere with your custom preset or not.
What I mean: if you create a custom preset and set there for instance Distortion-Manual-Fisheye-Intensity=20 and set this preset in Preferences as a default one. So exactly this correction will be applied to your image no matter if you download a module or not.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

boem

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:24:53 am »
To revive this old thread, I would very much like to be able to make lens profiles to. Or, just as in Lightroom, to be able to assign exisiting lens profiles to lenses, just as in Lightroom.

I use quite a few older Zeiss lenses on my Nikon body which are exactly the same as the newer ones. In Lightroom I just 'borrow' the lens profiles from the newer Zeiss lenses and add those to the combination of focal length and max aperture. Works a charm but apart from that I find it much easier to attain the images that I want in DxO than in Lightroom.

Also, because these lenses are primes, I tend to swithch lenses pretty often. In my view, lens profiles would be recognized automatically but with the supposed solution, I would have to apply presets to individual pictures. Much less practical...

Hence, please add the option to add custom lens profiles!

photography
photography