Author Topic: PhotoLab 1 enhancements proposal  (Read 1474 times)

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: PhotoLab 1 enhancements proposal
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion. I've notified our Feature owner and I guess he will reply soon.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Mike1

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »

Actually it was always the company tendency not to reveal anything planning except for those who are beta testers. But with the time and experience we are trying to get more user-friendly and are going to present the plan but a little bit later.

A welcome change - good to have more interaction recently!

Fotoguido

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 06:42:49 pm »
Two ideas from my side:

1. There once was a function until OP9 or 10 where all pictures which have been touched/changed and not developed yet, can be selected for development. This was replaced by "!" indication but for big projects this handling is tedious.

2. Artificial bokeh: just like actual IPhone and Google phone's so called Portrait mode,  introduce sort of an adjustable/gradual unsharpness increase of already unsharp areas in the picture. (This should be possible with existing DXO algorhythms). There is some unsharpness effect in DXO Filmpack but it is circular around an adjustable  point in the picture and does not take into account actual sharpness all over the frame.

3. Sunburst Simulation: create sunstars from (selectable?) highlights in the picture with maybe adjustable # of diaphragm blades, width and length of lightbeams.

In case I'd have to prioritize I'd vote for #2 :-)

Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks and best regards
Guido 

Rex Block

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 04:36:59 am »
Metadata editing and saving into sidecar so they can be embedded into JEPG when exporting. I know author and copyright are editable but there are also many other field to edit like image title, description, tags, etc...

I do not agree that EXIF data belongs in sidecar files. The sidecar is designed to provide instructions for "printing" (exporting) the file, and it includes all of the presets that were selected and adjusted by the user.

The metadata has information relating to the exposure of the original image, and the equipment used to make that image. That is an entirely different universe of data. If the workflow is properly managed, there should be no need to record EXIF info elsewhere. Also, doesn't the export already export EXIF info?

If sidecar metadata is in conflict with raw image metadata, which one takes precedence?

Agree that having a basic EXIF editor would be nice, but that's not a core function of DxO, and there are other tools which handle it much better (exiftool being one of them).

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:56:04 am »

2. Artificial bokeh: just like actual IPhone and Google phone's so called Portrait mode,  introduce sort of an adjustable/gradual unsharpness increase of already unsharp areas in the picture. (This should be possible with existing DXO algorhythms). There is some unsharpness effect in DXO Filmpack but it is circular around an adjustable  point in the picture and does not take into account actual sharpness all over the frame.

Hello,
Have you tried to reach this with the existing Miniature effect of with Local correction settings "Sharpness" and "Blur" ?

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Fotoguido

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 03:43:12 pm »
Hi Svetlana,

I appreciate your quick reply, thank you.

Well, I tried Unsharp Tool in Filmpack, this is usable in single cases but looks a bit like David Hamilton Romantic Girls Pictures from the early eighties ;-)

Miniature effect defines a vertical or horiziontal line/area and everything outside of this area can be unsharpened. This can be applied for certain scenaries only e.g. street scenes or maybe landscapes and looks mostly like model railway - what it should actually. 

Both effects clearly depend on picture content and composition and actually look a bit artificial on closer examination.

I have not tried local corrections as I could not find time to download PL yet but I assume this would not do the job either.

What I mean is to leave areas with high microcontrast as they are and further decrease microcontrast/create blur wherever it is already lower. This effect should be applied of course after e.g. denoising and sharpening in the technical workflow.

Look at pictures made with Portrait Mode in named smartphones, then you will se what I mean. They look as if the've been taken with a (so called) full frame camera, just natural narrow depth of field.

Thanks again and best regards
Guido

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 03:50:48 pm »
Okay,

Got it  ;) In any way I suggest you to find time to play with PL local corrections and provide us with the feedback.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Fotoguido

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:56 pm »
Let's call it "computational bokeh", just saw a new article from your colleagues on DXOMARK :-)
https://www.dxomark.com/evaluating-computational-bokeh-test-smartphone-portrait-modes/

Cheers, Guido

Timedog

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:57 pm »
What I really want is at least 8 colors (instead of 6) in HSL and a better HSL algorithm. When I try to boost saturation on certain colors, I can't see any difference when I've moved up to about +35, then by 50 the color is completely blown out. When I adjust luminence up or down, it affects the saturation for some reason too.

Also something more like "Color Calibration", where you can adjust hue and saturation of just the RGB channels.

LR is just way better for messing around with colors then PL. It seems like it could be fixed pretty easily but I doubt we'll see it made better anytime soon.

Simone

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 11:33:40 am »
The metadata has information relating to the exposure of the original image, and the equipment used to make that image.

That is an entirely different universe of data. If the workflow is properly managed, there should be no need to record EXIF info elsewhere. Also, doesn't the export already export EXIF info?

If sidecar metadata is in conflict with raw image metadata, which one takes precedence?

Well, I wasn't speaking about EXIF metadata embedded in the original RAW file and if there is a conflict in metadata, PL settings takes precedence, it's already this way if you look at the image rating.

You can't touch exposure values of the images, it has no sense. What I meant is to provide a simple text editor to apply tags, title, descriptions to apply when exporting JPEGs. Those metadata (not every metadata) could be fitted into DxO sidecar files so they are applied to JPEG everytime I re-export an image and in this way you don't have to touch the original RAW file. This is the current behavior of PL regarding image rating that could be expanded with a few more fields like I said above.

It's not a priority in DxO development, I agree but, maybe it's not too hard to implement and saves you time because you don't have to do it with an external editor.

This is just a idea, a feature request that can be put down in the list and, if there will be some spare time, it can be implemented. We can live without it, but it can help.

photography