Author Topic: DCP profiles  (Read 691 times)

Esayisay

DCP profiles
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:07 am »
Just got Photolab 2.
I'm not too sure what a DCP profile is but I hope the fact that Photolab recognises them means I can upload the Nikon Landscape profile etc into DXO for use.

Could someone pls explain what a DCP is (digital camera profile?)
Are the Nikon profiles DCPs
And how do I upload them into DXO

I am attempting to use Nikons Picture Control Utility 2 to save the profile

New clear view plus , on initial use , looks great - not so contrasty as the previous tool

Thanks
Esay
I don't imagine that my work will be remembered but to have been thought about enough to be forgotten would be nice...

Pieloe

Re: DCP profiles
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:47 pm »

Esayisay

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:36:26 am »
Hi Pieloe,

Thanks very much for the link. The addition of DCP profiles looks like a fantastic new tool in the DXO armoury, looking forward to learning how to create them.

BTW the rest of the article is interesting too!

Thanks again
Esay
I don't imagine that my work will be remembered but to have been thought about enough to be forgotten would be nice...

Mack

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 05:41:16 pm »
If you have the ColorChecker Passport and their included software, all you need is the free Adobe DNG Converter 11 ( https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html ) to make your RAW files into a DNG file.  From there, you drag the DNG file onto the ColorChecker Passport software pane in it makes the DCP profile automatically (If you align the edges right too.).

Save the file with whatever you want to call it:  by camera, lens, light source, and you are done (e.g. I use "Nikon D800 24-70 Sunlight").  You can find it in PhotoLab 2 with your RAW file loaded (Doesn't work with others like TIFF, JPEG.) in the Color -> Color Rendering -> Category -> DCP Profile drop down.

The Adobe DNG Editor is more complex and can throw you off.  The Adobe DNG Converter 11 to Passport software seems a little more accurate and easier for me.

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »
Just one comment Guys, DPL accept dual color DCP profiles only, if you make your own DCP, keep in mind to make 2 separate images with 2 different light source ! Otherwise DPL will unable to make the correction and doesn't report about the reason.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Esayisay

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:00:22 am »
Thanks Mack and Bencsi,
I am finding this very interesting but also very confusing. I really want to get the nikon profiles into DPL 2.

Can anyone suggest any teaching resources or maybe Youtube videos?

Cheers
Esay

Mack

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 05:15:36 pm »
Just one comment Guys, DPL accept dual color DCP profiles only, if you make your own DCP, keep in mind to make 2 separate images with 2 different light source ! Otherwise DPL will unable to make the correction and doesn't report about the reason.

Endre

Endre, I'm puzzled by this.

I've made a few DCP profiles using the above technique (Single light source: Sunlight and flash separately.) and they work well in PhotoLab 2 made as a single light source each.   I know with the ColorChecker Passport software, you can select single or a dual light source, but I think selecting dual just averages the two sources.  The DCP output file shot as a single illuminate seems to work fine in PhotoLab 2.

What doesn't work is a JPG or TIFF as PhotoLab 2 will not allow me to pull up the DCP settings with those files, just works with the RAW ones.  Not that much of a concern since the program prefers to work with the RAWs.

It was very easy to do.  Shoot the Passport making sure your exposure and WB is good or else the x-rite software will balk at the image coming in prior from the  Adobe DNG Converter 11.  I used an incident meter for the exposure part, and setting the sunlight white balance to 5,200 K outdoors at noon.  However, my flash shoots blue at around 6,000K so I did that as a separate DCP profile based on my Sekonic color meter.  Both match up fine now being separately made.

I could shoot the two as a dual illuminate and let the x-rite software handle it as a dual-illuminate and average it out, but I tend to meter and gel my flash units to match sunlight anyway if they are fill lights outdoors.  Only time I let the flash have their way with WB is indoors.

Esayisay

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 09:29:02 am »
This has gone from interesting to frustrating!

When the profile is generated where should it be saved to for DXO to recognise?

There are, of course, plenty of videos on the internet about how to produce and use profiles with Adobe products - zero, zip, nil with DxO.

Any help would be appreciated - maybe DxO support could help. I'm sure I'm not the only one stuggling with this

Thanks, Esay

Bencsi

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 04:40:04 pm »
Hi Esay,

The procedure is as follows:
1. Need the X-rite Passport color sample & its color profile generator, called 'DNG Profile manager'
2. Make some sample RAW images in the environment you will make pictures.
3. Open the 'DNG Profile Manager' and load one of the color sample image to
4. Save the generated profile to same folder as the images to be edited by event name
5. Open DPL 2
6. Navigate to the images to be edited folder and select any RAW image from the folder
7. Go to 'DxO Filmpack' Palette and open the Color rendering / Category  tool ( General renderings'
8. Click on the last item in the drop-down menu list 'DCP profile'. From the pop-up selection browser find and select the recently made DCP profile.

It is a one time selection, from now all images during the session will use same DCP profile - if you change the General rendering to DCP profile.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Bencsi

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:50:15 pm »
Hi Mack,

Based on your comment I made a test again for DCP profile compatibility. You are right, DPL is working with single temperature DCP profiles too.

Let me defend myself a bit. I made an extended test in August 2018 and reported the incompatibility to DxO. After several entries to the DCP expectations and experiences thread they promised to repair the incompatibility. Since than I did not receive any news about the modification, therefore supposed its priority was less, than other. After reading your comment I made the test again and found the corrections.

Thanks your comment

Endre

Esayisay

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 11:20:38 pm »
Thank you so much Endre!!!

I'll give it a go when I get home tonight

Esay

Esayisay

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 06:12:54 am »
Excellent! I've got it working!

Thanks to all for a great learning and interesting discussion.

It ended up very simple. My process was a little different - exporting a RAW file as a DNG in DxO, and using the Adobe DNG profile editor exporting the profile to the highest level of my pictures folders.

Thanks all again
Esay
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:46:06 pm by Esayisay »

photography
photography