Author Topic: PhotoLab 1 enhancements proposal  (Read 1473 times)

Simone

PhotoLab 1 enhancements proposal
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:08 pm »
I'm new to DxO, just bought Photo Suite Elite edition a month ago but used it a lot since then, sometime reworking photos already passed through Lightroom.

I switched to DxO after using for many years Lightroom (since version 3). I felt that I was squeezing the most out of that RAW converter but I could do more, and with DxO, actually... I can!

But for me, used to Lightroom, it was not an easy transition and even if I'm very happy with my new photo suite, I think there is room for improvements so I drafted a short list of PhotoLab 1.1 enhancement:
  • Metadata editing and saving into sidecar so they can be embedded into JEPG when exporting. I know author and copyright are editable but there are also many other field to edit like image title, description, tags, etc...
  • Manual crop tool: ability to set a custom aspect ratio and turn the aspect from landscape to portrait and the other way round.
  • Manual crop tool: flag to set constraints when resizing crop area so you will not end up with black corners when horizon or perspective adjustments are applied.
  • Repair tool: in some circumstances it would be useful to have the ability to manually move the position of the source data in another place of the image.
  • To make fine adjustment on equalizer (local adjustment) on Windows you have to click and then move the mouse horizontally but it is a little bit tricky to move the mouse "only" horizzontally without affecting the value you are adjusting by a consequent slight vertical move. Couldn't be simpler to have a modifier key like "shift" when dragging vertically to slow down the value change instead of the current horizontal drag method?
  • A "radial graduated filter" would be helpful in addition to the linear graduated filters that is available in the local adjustments palette.
  • Improve flexibility of printing module: for example add the ability to print the same photo multiple times in a single sheet.
  • Improve flexibility of printing module: for example add the ability to print the same photo multiple times in a single sheet.
  • Improve DxO Academy with in depth video about program functions like local adjustements, printing, etc...
These are my suggestion, maybe DxO is working on the PhotoLab 2 and someone is listening here.  ::)
Someone has more ideas for future enhancements or comments on my proposals?

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: PhotoLab 1 enhancements proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00:49 am »
Hello Simone,

I'm glad to see you among DxO users. It's a pleasure to get such a feedback.
Metadata editing and saving into sidecar so they can be embedded into JEPG when exporting. I know author and copyright are editable but there are also many other field to edit like image title, description, tags, etc...
- Yes, we are listening to our users and know that this is the high demanded feature -> we are already investigating the ways it can be implemented in PL.

Manual crop tool: ability to set a custom aspect ratio and turn the aspect from landscape to portrait and the other way round.
- Actually, you can - just type a value in the Aspect Ratio field. And as for changing landscape/portrait and vice versa you can do it manually when dragging the corner handlers diagonally.

Repair tool: in some circumstances it would be useful to have the ability to manually move the position of the source data in another place of the image.
- The Repair tool will be improved but later.

To make fine adjustment on equalizer (local adjustment) on Windows you have to click and then move the mouse horizontally but it is a little bit tricky to move the mouse "only" horizontally without affecting the value you are adjusting by a consequent slight vertical move. Couldn't be simpler to have a modifier key like "shift" when dragging vertically to slow down the value change instead of the current horizontal drag method?
- Well, we will think about it but due to the higher priority tasks it won't be soon.

A "radial graduated filter" would be helpful in addition to the linear graduated filters that is available in the local adjustments palette.
- This function is already in the backlog as one more high demanded feature.

About printing module, well we'll see if it can be done easy.

And about DxO Academy, we are working on the improvements. Btw, did you see the new webinars like this one -http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/dxo-academy/product-how-%E2%80%99s/new-features-dxo-photolab ?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
Oh, good, can I just go on?

If I use the local adjustements I also have the problem to set any correction to a special value. Horizontally? I was not sucessfull with that on my 4K-monitor. I didn't find a way to simply enter values with my keyboard like in the normal working range on the right side. It would be nice to have something similar.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:46 pm »
Hello Ralf,

Thank you for the feedback.
Well, the only way which was implemented to slow down the slider moving in the widget is to drag your mouse far away from the widget -> the further is the mouse the slower is the movement.

About the keyboard enter, we have already received several requests on that including yours and we'll try to find a solution.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Asser

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
Hello Ralf,

Thank you for the feedback.
Well, the only way which was implemented to slow down the slider moving in the widget is to drag your mouse far away from the widget -> the further is the mouse the slower is the movement.

About the keyboard enter, we have already received several requests on that including yours and we'll try to find a solution.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

The easiest way would be to add a support for a modifier key like Alt or Ctrl while dragging. It is a common pattern to restrict a drag drop operation by using modifier keys. This is cheap to implement and there is no need to reinvent the wheel. The current approach is poorly usable, because it is impossible to drag the mouse perfectly horizontal.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:26 pm »
I don't understand how I can move my mouse away from the widget if I want to select a special slider for changing brightness, sharpness, microcontrast or one of the other possibilities. I think it would be a good idea to show this in a video tutorial.

Asser

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:14:20 pm »
I don't understand how I can move my mouse away from the widget if I want to select a special slider for changing brightness, sharpness, microcontrast or one of the other possibilities. I think it would be a good idea to show this in a video tutorial.

You grab the slider where it is. While holding the left mouse button you move the mouse horizontally away from it. Now, when you are lets say 400px away from it, you start to move up or down. It is like moving the knight while playing chess. -_-

Simone

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »
It's good to see that there is a lot of development going on. Thank you very musch for your fast and exhaustive reply, Svetlana.

Actually, you can - just type a value in the Aspect Ratio field. And as for changing landscape/portrait and vice versa you can do it manually when dragging the corner handlers diagonally.

Maybe I missed this piece of information from tutorials and manual. Well, the crop function is almost complete but how about my second proposal to have a flag to limit cropping inside the actual foto area? It would be useful after horizon or perspective adjustments.
Now we have an automatic crop when applying for ex. perspective correction but if you would like to crop further you have to pay attention to not include black areas outside the photo in the corners.

By the way, the webinar you pointed is no more available.  :(
The one about "Getting started" is there...

Simone

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:00 pm »
I've got two more:
  • Side by side comparing of different photos with linked zoom and pan?
    Whould be very helpful to decide which photo to keep and what to trash when culling. Useful to select the photo with perfect focusing or the best composition. It could display the selected photos, 2 or more at a time, dividing the screen area and only in the "Organize" mode.
  • When copying or pasting correction settings from one image to another it could be useful to select in some way which settings to copy. It can be done by creating a preset for the occasion but a shortcut would be better.

roeslewf

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:52:46 am »
+1

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:31 pm »
You grab the slider where it is. While holding the left mouse button you move the mouse horizontally away from it. Now, when you are lets say 400px away from it, you start to move up or down. It is like moving the knight while playing chess. -_-

Asser, that works! Thank you!

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:37 pm »
Hello  :)

I've got two more:
  • Side by side comparing of different photos with linked zoom and pan?
    Whould be very helpful to decide which photo to keep and what to trash when culling. Useful to select the photo with perfect focusing or the best composition. It could display the selected photos, 2 or more at a time, dividing the screen area and only in the "Organize" mode.
Well, we received this request several times and we've been thinking over it. But as it requires a lot of time for implementation and right now we have the tasks with higher priority , this implementation is postponed.
  • When copying or pasting correction settings from one image to another it could be useful to select in some way which settings to copy. It can be done by creating a preset for the occasion but a shortcut would be better.
- Well you can create a preset - just right click on the image and select "Create preset from current settings". And if you decide to include/exclude some corrections you can do it in Preset Editor palette.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Asser

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:41 pm »
Are the high priority tasks more "Organize" or more "Customize" related?

Could you please ask the product owners to think about releasing more "sneak peeks" on where the software goes, when there is something to show?

If you look for example on On1, they tell that they develop tethered shooting, custom sort, metadata templates and so on. Skylum has announced to develop a DAM module for Luminar. Adobe works on improved performance/multi core support for Lightroom.

It is a good thing to know what is coming.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 11:25:27 am »
Hello :)

Actually it was always the company tendency not to reveal anything planning except for those who are beta testers. But with the time and experience we are trying to get more user-friendly and are going to present the plan but a little bit later.

As for now, I can just give a hint that as you called it "Organize" is the priority  ;)

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Asser

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:43 pm »
Thx, so everybody is on the DAM train, OK :-)

Is DxO searching free time beta testers currently?

I am a software engineer with .NET/WPF skills and have seen some DAM/RAW development tools. Would be interesting to contribute to the improvement of my RAW developer of choice.

photography