Author Topic: Local adjustments - auto mask  (Read 2286 times)

Tilmann

Local adjustments - auto mask
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:33 pm »
Hello,
when PhotoLab was introduced, I immediately loved the local adjustments and bought the upgrade from OpticsPro right away.

However, particularly the "auto mask" function is far from being really useful the way it is implemented now, unfortunately. The problem is that you don't get any feedback about which part of the image really gets selected, and, even worse, you don't have any influence on that.

I'd like to strongly suggest an (urgent in my eyes) improvement to the auto mask function. It should work in a way that during selection, you can already see which area is selected. Then, you could also modify the selection with the standard tools like brush, pencil and eraser to correct details that "auto mask" missed (or picked wrong).

This modification would also make the local adjustment functions more consistent. All other tools exactly reflect the state of selection during input, only "auto mask" does not.

As a reference for such an implementation, you might have a look at the "Smart Photo Editor" of Anthropics.

I would be really glad to see this improvement, it would make PL yet much better than it already is.

Thanks for any feedback (from other users and/or DxO),
Tilmann

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: Local adjustments - auto mask
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:26:31 am »
Hello Tilmann,

However, particularly the "auto mask" function is far from being really useful the way it is implemented now, unfortunately. The problem is that you don't get any feedback about which part of the image really gets selected, and, even worse, you don't have any influence on that.
Yes, we are aware about this inconvenience for Auto Mask (it shows the mask you draw but not the real correction zone mask) and we are working on the improvements. And the implementation of this behavior will take time.
As soon as we change the behavior it will be delivered with the update build.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Tilmann

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:46 am »
Hello Svetlana,
thanks for your reply.

Yes, we are aware about this inconvenience for Auto Mask (it shows the mask you draw but not the real correction zone mask) and we are working on the improvements. And the implementation of this behavior will take time.
As soon as we change the behavior it will be delivered with the update build.

I am eagerly awaiting that update...

Regards,
Tilmann

holla die waldfee

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:59:18 am »
+1

sharpshooter

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:19:47 am »
+1

TAdams

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:39:27 pm »
 I agree and thank you for this post. I am evaluating PhotoLab and while the end result was different between the auto mask and regular mask brush I couldn't tell what was actually being selected during applying the mask. I thought I was doing something incorrectly and tried button combinations and searching help.

The other thing is once you have a series of local adjustments, it would be Extremely helpful if on the right (panel) it actually listed the adjustments and the settings used. You could turn them on and off and re-order or hide them temporarily (when comparing before and after for example). I was using the slider side by side comparison and couldn't get the gylphs to hide, not a deal breaker but a little distracting.

Tilmann

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:46:41 pm »
Hello (Svetlana),

are there any news on this issue? I am urgently needing working auto-masks (now that I know it's possible...) - many times I think "auto mask would solve exactly this current problem".

Since I first mentioned this issue in a mail to your support on 02. November 2017 (and already marked as urgent since auto-mask is next to useless in its current implementation), more than four months have passed by. Unfortunately, this issue obviously has not been solved.

Is there any information about when we can finally expect a working auto-mask with visible feedback during input?

(I also agree to the suggestion of TAdams: it would really be nice to have an overview of all local adjustments anywhere.)

Thanks for a short response
and best regards, Tilmann

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:39 am »
Hello :)
Hello (Svetlana),

are there any news on this issue? I am urgently needing working auto-masks (now that I know it's possible...) - many times I think "auto mask would solve exactly this current problem".
- We are currently working exactly on implementing this feature. So you'll have it pretty soon.

(I also agree to the suggestion of TAdams: it would really be nice to have an overview of all local adjustments anywhere.)
- Yep, the idea is good but it won't be done in the near future due to the higher priority tasks.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Tilmann

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
Hello Svetlana,
thanks for your feedback.

Is there any information about when we can finally expect a working auto-mask with visible feedback during input?
We are currently working exactly on implementing this feature. So you'll have it pretty soon.

Fine. Looking forward to that particular update...

- Yep, the idea is good but it won't be done in the near future due to the higher priority tasks.

But please keep it on your list for a future release.

Thanks for your support,
Tilmann

katastrofa

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 05:34:57 pm »
You can easily check which area is selected by temporarily applying a very strong positive or negative exposure correction.

Tilmann

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:38 am »
You can easily check which area is selected by temporarily applying a very strong positive or negative exposure correction.

You didn't see the real problem: even if you can "check" the selected area (though it's not really comfortable), there is just no way to modify the selection. Being able to "check" a wrong and/or senseless selection is absolutely useless.

Tilmann

katastrofa

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:40 pm »
You can use the rubber tool?

Tilmann

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 07:55:40 am »
You can use the rubber tool?

Hello,
obviously you didn't try it by yourself. Modifications (like with the rubber tool) are available only for manually applied masks, not for auto-mask. (They way auto-mask currently works, this appears logical.)
Tilmann

Tilmann

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 09:46:59 am »
Good morning,

I just want to remark that it's really urgent to correct the auto mask function.
These days, I'm working on some images that can't be corrected by other means, and it's simply impossible to get the current auto-mask to pick what it should. And since it's also not possible to correct the auto-selection afterwards, I will have to postpone editing of these images until a PL version with working auto-mask is released...
Regards, Tilmann

John7

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 10:54:48 am »
I must admit I also find it very frustrating, some times it works very well, others totally useless.

photography
photography