Author Topic: Adobe Bridge / DXO Photolab / Affinity Photo?  (Read 1217 times)

mujabad

Adobe Bridge / DXO Photolab / Affinity Photo?
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:17 am »
Hello.
I'm using DXO Photolab (and still very impressed!), and sometimes Affinity Photo (exporting Tiff from Photolab). At the moment I do not miss a DAM, but I might in the future.
Some say, that Adobe Bridge is perfect for this...standalone/free/complete/no cloud.
 I'm wondering how well Bridge works as a front end DAM with Photolab. Are things like ratings and (especially) keywords copied into Photolab?
I'm not using any sidecar files (xmp or dop.).
Thank you for sharing your experiences here!

Nick_

Re: Adobe Bridge / DXO Photolab / Affinity Photo?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:13:36 am »
I'm wondering how well Bridge works as a front end DAM with Photolab. Are things like ratings and (especially) keywords copied into Photolab?
Bridge is my DAM. I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's fairly good. It's nothing but a DAM: besides orientation it has no tool.
There is practically no interaction between Bridge and DPL. Settings done in DPL are not taken into account in Bridge, unlike the ones done in ARC. DPL displays the ratings set in Bridge but it's not true the other way around. DPL takes into account a very limited number of EXIF items.
It's rather frustrating but I found no affordable alternative. I wish DxO would integrate more DAM features in DPL. I did several requests for that.
Nick

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:40:17 am »
Seems to me the best way to use DxO is as a plugin to LR, but that is an expensive option nowadays. What I currently do is work the other way around, I use DxO to cull/process my raws and then I export tiffs or jpegs to my DAM of choice. I just keep my raw files as DxO projects.

Asser

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 03:28:53 pm »
@mujabad

If you start with raws and want to have a DAM outside of PL, XMPs are the only option to export ratings and keywords to PL. See my comment at the end of: http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,13791.0.html

A good DAM would not change your RAW by writing ratings and keywords into it. When you do not write an additional sidecar, there is no source for PL to read this stuff from. You have three ways to choose from:

1) PL is your very limited DAM.

2) You write an XMP with external DAM, and let PL forward the metadata to your export files. You should treat the metadata as read only in PL.

3) You manage your metadata exclusively in your external DAM, invisible to PL.

mujabad

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:31:53 pm »
Thank you Nick, Colin en Asser! Very helpfull (as usual on this forum)!

Since I have Photolab, I almost did not use Lightroom at all (6 standalone version). Only for converting panoramas to Tiff , for import in Photolab.
I like your workflow ColinG! Do you use sidecar files (dop.)? What's your DAM of choice?

ColinG

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:28:25 pm »
I am struggling to find a stand-alone DAM and at the moment I am just sending my tiffs from PL to Apple Photos, where I tag them etc. There is an Add To Photos function in PL so that aspect works pretty well. If I want to bring the Tiff back to PL then there is an Edit In option in Apple Photos which will do that. I rarely use it though as I can just go back to the raw. You could run the same process with Bridge I should imagine. 

I once tried Photo Supreme (cross platform) and really liked it, there is a free trial. It costs $99. I know some usethe free XNView (cross platform). It is good but did not work for me.

I am not using DOP files (there is an option to or  not). Still not sure if that is a good idea or bad but no problems so far. What I will say is the PL plugin to LR works exceptionally well.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:30:02 pm by ColinG »

Asser

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:32:38 pm »
I do not mention it to often, but:

If you install a firewall and do not let any adobe process to call home, the current Lightroom Classic CC becomes a free DAM after installation. The import and library modules remain functional. *hint*

The second point to notice:

Recently the Affinity guys started collecting out of camera jpegs and raws. The only use case I see is the creation of a DAM. I have written a list of the following requirements and received a "Like" from a developer there:

Hierarchical Collections, Smart Collections, Possibility to display photos in a whole directory subtree, XMP Import/Export, Batch Metadata Editing, Hierarchical Keywords, Search by Metadata Tags, Pass raws to external development tools (not as tiff), Stacks, Virtual Copies, Autostacking Raws and (jpeg/tiff)-versions using Regex on name or metadata, Token based batch renaming and destination folder definition on import and inside catalog.

So hopefully we will see something.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:56:50 pm by Asser »

ColinG

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:54:25 pm »
Interesting stuff Asser thanks. The Affinity guys will do a good job and if history repeats itself they will release public betas. Wonder how long?

Nick_

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
Let's hope DxO will add some DAM basic features:
1. Display all the metadata, with the choice in the Preferences of the ones that are hidden.
2. Make them editable.
3. Allow user to create, move, delete folders.
Nick

ColinG

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 06:10:47 pm »
I would like some DAM stuff like tags, exif etc. Not too worried about the folders as there are at least projects but yes it would help as would the option to hide folders and/or  create faves.

Visited the Affinity forum yesterday and they still seem to be saying the DAM is a long way off. Affinity have really dropped the  ball here.

OldRadioGuy

• Amateur Photographer, retired journalist/educator
    • My SmugMug Images
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 05:47:13 am »

Recently the Affinity guys started collecting out of camera jpegs and raws. The only use case I see is the creation of a DAM. I have written a list of the following requirements and received a "Like" from a developer there:

MY GUESS IS THEY MAY BE WORKING ON THEIR OWN LENS CORRECTION DATABASE. I SAW A POST A YEAR AGO OR SO THAT A DAM WAS BEING PLANNED, BUT FROM RECENT ACTIVITY IT APPEARS THE NEXT PROJECT IS A PUBLISHING APP. (SORRY FOR THE CAPS HERE, BUT FOR SOME REASON NOW I CAN'T USE LOWER CASE IN THIS COMMENT.
DxO PhotoLab | DxO FilmPack 5 | DxO ViewPoint 3 | ACDSee Photo Studio | Affinity Photo |
PhotoLine 20 | macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 |

Asser

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:29:31 am »
MY GUESS IS THEY MAY BE WORKING ON THEIR OWN LENS CORRECTION DATABASE. I SAW A POST A YEAR AGO OR SO THAT A DAM WAS BEING PLANNED, BUT FROM RECENT ACTIVITY IT APPEARS THE NEXT PROJECT IS A PUBLISHING APP. (SORRY FOR THE CAPS HERE, BUT FOR SOME REASON NOW I CAN'T USE LOWER CASE IN THIS COMMENT.

Hm, creating lens profiles by using unrelated photos taken somewhere does not sound right. As far as I know lens profiles are created in lab like environments, with a checkerboard like chart infront of the camera. Then many photos are taken with different focal lengths and apertures, because distortion, sharpness and vignetting varies depending on these parameters. So it would surprise me, if Serif could do it with a photo of a cat. 😁

The unrelated photos could be needed to see what happens after import into a DAM. Whether previews are generated right and whether metadata like makernotes are extracted correctly. So for creation of a DAM, it is a good test base. For creating lens profiles, not.

The market is segmented into two parties. The ones with money and/or equipment to make own lens profiles like Adobe, DxO and PhaseOne on the one hand, and the ones without hardware affinity like Serif, Macphun etc on the other hand. The later depend on open source lens profiles, mostly provided through the Lensfun library. This library has by far not the quality and the completeness of a commercially created library. I do not think Affinity will ever reach the lens profile level of Adobe or DxO.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:57:34 pm by Asser »

Asser

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:08:07 pm »
Concerning an Affinity DAM:

There have been clear statements from serif, I have found in the following link. Read the last sentence there:

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/27/affinity-may-building-lightroom-competitor/

And here a sentence of a moderator in the Affinity forum from the end of december:

"I'll say this: I'm sitting next to the guys that are writing the DAM..."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:11:05 pm by Asser »

ColinG

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:00 pm »
I am not holding my  breath for the Affinity Dam. They are still pushing back on the forum saying other stuff must come first so I am not optimistic. I hope I am wrong and you are right. Time will tell, Asser :-) In the meantime what can we use? Bridge, LR, ACDsee......
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:38:41 pm by ColinG »

Asser

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:27 pm »
I am not holding my  breath for the Affinity Dam. They are still pushing back on the forum saying other stuff must come first so I am not optimistic. I hope I am wrong and you are right. Time will tell, Asser :-) In the meantime what can we use? Bridge, LR, ACDsee......

Yes, true, I was only bored, so I thought, I could write something :-)

photography