Author Topic: DXO OP and Photolab running independently? Experience with PL in comparison?  (Read 2725 times)

Fotoguido

Hi Folks,

maybe I can learn from you:

1. I'm planning to try PL but like to keep my DXO OP 11.4. plus Viewpoint 1 and Filmpack  installation untouched just in case I dislike PL due to performance or whatever. Is this possible? Can PL demo be removed later without Problems?

2. Are there any experiences out there with PL which would be good to know for all of us?

Thank you
Fotoguido

(also posted in DXO OP Forum)

Nick_

I upgraded to DPL by I occasionally used DOP as well. There is no issue besides the fact that settings done in DPL were not recognized by DOP. So if you try DPL don't expect you'll continue your work with DOP.
With DPL you are in the same environment as with DOP plus the fantastic Nik tools. Therefore you can use DPL just the same way you used DOP with the same results. The additions are really worth the cost.
Nick

CopyKatnj

Viewpoint 1 is not compatible with PL.

Fotoguido

Thanks, you are right, made a typo, I have VP 2.

Athomsfere

My experiences:

Some tools are missing (Or I haven't found them yet)

PL seems faster! Small corrections to D750 RAW files seem much quicker, and D850 processing times seem no worse.

I am currently seeing horrible noise introduced by PL that OP does not create. Trying to sort that one out.

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Hello,

I'm planning to try PL but like to keep my DXO OP 11.4. plus Viewpoint 1 and Filmpack  installation untouched just in case I dislike PL due to performance or whatever. Is this possible? Can PL demo be removed later without Problems?

It's possible to run OP11 and PL1 at the same time and later you can remove PL1 (but I hope you like it and there is no need to do that) with no problem.
And as it's already said by Nick_ , you can't see the corrections from PL in OP11 and it's expected as we do not support the downgrade. FP and VP will be untouched.

Some tools are missing (Or I haven't found them yet)
- Nope, we didn't remove any tool, on the contrary Local corrections tools are added.

I am currently seeing horrible noise introduced by PL that OP does not create. Trying to sort that one out.
Please, report about the problem to the support team.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Rex Block

Did you get that one sorted out? I have not seen anything like that. Can you provide an example?

Rex Block

I still have both although since PL was loaded, I have not used OP11.

I can only speak to Mac usage, but I have noticed that performance is much better. When I open a new directory of RAWs (from a D750, so about 30MB each), or when I kick off a multi-image export, the fan kicks in and the laptop warms up, but overall performance and paging seems much better in PL.

There are still some issues with crop in PL on a Mac (don't know about Windows), but I expect those will be sorted out.

gramps

Well I eventually gave in and upgraded from Optics Pro 11 to Photolabs (2 days before a special offer reduction was made Grr!) but I am running Optics Pro 11 as well, which I liked using.
The trial download of Photolabs worked well once I got used to it and accepted that I just had to get along without the loupe slider bar that I used on OP 11, however the latest update to 1.1.2 is a really negative move for me. In OP 11 I used the Preset DXO Standard and it was a great starting point but in Photolabs the Preset DXO Standard just makes everything too dark and contrasty, even when I select No Correction it makes it darker and more contrasty.
It's really not an upgrade for me, it's several steps backward and I'm back to using OP 11 having wasted my cash!

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
Well I eventually gave in and upgraded from Optics Pro 11 to Photolabs (2 days before a special offer reduction was made Grr!) but I am running Optics Pro 11 as well, which I liked using.
The trial download of Photolabs worked well once I got used to it and accepted that I just had to get along without the loupe slider bar that I used on OP 11, however the latest update to 1.1.2 is a really negative move for me. In OP 11 I used the Preset DXO Standard and it was a great starting point but in Photolabs the Preset DXO Standard just makes everything too dark and contrasty, even when I select No Correction it makes it darker and more contrasty.
It's really not an upgrade for me, it's several steps backward and I'm back to using OP 11 having wasted my cash!

Hello,
Well, it shouldn't be so. With "No correction" preset your Before correction and Correction preview should be identical.
So, could you , please, write to the support team and give them the example of your test image+sidecar, your logs and a screenshot that shows the difference between OP11 and PL1.1.2
It will help for a quick investigation.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

gramps

Hello,
Well, it shouldn't be so. With "No correction" preset your Before correction and Correction preview should be identical.
So, could you , please, write to the support team and give them the example of your test image+sidecar, your logs and a screenshot that shows the difference between OP11 and PL1.1.2
It will help for a quick investigation.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thanks for your response.
I upgraded to Photolab after buying my Nikon D850 and OP11 is not compatible with the D850 so my options for a comparison are limited. I can show a screenshot of the D850 image as first loaded into Photolab and a screenshot after it has loaded with the 'No correction' preset - would that be any use?
As for "sidecar" I am afraid that you are talking to an elderly illiterate in regard to such terms and I don't know what that is or where to find it, similarly I wouldn't know where to look for the logs.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
Hello,

So, let me help you. To submit the ticket to the support use this link  - https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

As for the logs of the application, you can find them here - c:\Users\user_name\Documents\DxO PhotoLab logs\.

About the sidecar, it's a .dop file created next to your image in the image folder in case you apply a correction to the image (this option is enabled by default in the application). So if you didn't switch it off manually, you should have that sidecar.

As for the screenshots, yep do as you wrote.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any trouble.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

gramps

Hello,

So, let me help you. To submit the ticket to the support use this link  - https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

As for the logs of the application, you can find them here - c:\Users\user_name\Documents\DxO PhotoLab logs\.

About the sidecar, it's a .dop file created next to your image in the image folder in case you apply a correction to the image (this option is enabled by default in the application). So if you didn't switch it off manually, you should have that sidecar.

As for the screenshots, yep do as you wrote.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any trouble.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thank you for your help.
I have done as you suggested, with the exception of the 'Sidecar' .dop file, which I am unable to locate in the image folder.

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
Ok, probably you have the function switched off (you can easy check in in Preferences window).

Thank you

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

gramps

Support response was as follows:-

The way the program is currently designed is that there are some very core corrections and adjustments that are made to every photo in order to allow the image to be properly rendered and used in the program. These corrections cannot be turned off since they are essential to the proper operation of the program. Using the 'No corrections' preset will turn off all other processing except those related to the core processes.

So 'No Corrections' isn't quite what you may think and for me anyway is different to the operation of Optics Pro 11.

photography
photography